Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to upgrade to a new computer

Hi everyone!
    I have been totally MIA for the past 8 months here, and am now finding time to scrap again since going back to my full time job and other roles in various organizations.

It is time to get a new computer, and I have no idea what to get that will be best to use for scrapping. I had a dell laptop, inspiron 1720. I liked the size of the screen, but the memory is low and the computer is slow.

I have alot of styles, brushes, etc. for digi scrapping, and am currently using 2 ehd drives when I scrap.

Don't want a Mac. Just ready for change is all.

Am currently using windows vista, but hate it.

Would love another lap top.

Any suggestions out there? What do you use, and what do you like/dislike about it???
    Last edited by Sarah; 01-21-2013 at 09:35 PM.

2. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Time to upgrade to a new computer....

Well - I was going to suggest Mac, but that is on your don't want list... ;) lol

Ricki is online now *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Snickerdoodle*
    *GingerScraps Ad Team

Post Thanks / Like

I was also going to suggest that, Mac's are perfect for this profession, but then it's not on your list.........hmmmmmm
    Hope you find one that suits you, which is the most important part.

AngelclaudArtroom, SeatroutScraps, GingerScrapsAdTeam, SnickerdoodleDesigns.

Post Thanks / Like

all my laptops r toshiba. great prices and quality and service. but the big thing is just to make sure u get at LEAST 4g ram and a fast cache HD. they all come with the new Windows 8 which is suppose to be pretty awesome for wifi and is compatible with most older software. its Win7 on steroids from what i've been told. vista alone will mess up a computer...welcome back btw

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

ok, tell me about Macs and why they are great for graphics. I see this opinion alot in my research, but am afraid of a huge learning curve. Will there be a learning curve, and are there laptops in mac land? I have no idea....

Post Thanks / Like

others can give u more info BUT macs were created for graphics!!!! (or graphics were created for the mac...either way same thing) and if u have adobe products u can do an exchange on your software from win to mac (but not sure how that works with older software) mac is a better computer...i use win because i can not afford to replace all my software that is not compatible

other than that if u can afford it...go for it...windows was created from the mac platform but there is a learning curve...although going from vista to win 7 or 8 is a learning curve as well...so if u CAN switch its worth it. bill gates started at mac (after his garage) which is why they r closely the same. (this is a long battle i won't go into LOL)

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

ooops and yes mac has laptops although the desktop with their monitors is my dream computer...disney and pixar use macs if that helps

guess I'm a tad late

Ricki is online now *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Snickerdoodle*
    *GingerScraps Ad Team

Post Thanks / Like

Mas are specifically for heavy work, and so they are much faster. There are desktop and laptops Macs.
    Forget almost everything you know about pc's because Macs are totally different in many ways. For example the keyboard, the mouse, the way windows show and so forth. It certainly is a different experience and there is a lot to learn.

The other part is that Macs are expensive but from my experience, I have a desktop one, it's so worth it.

I know you'll be getting more ideas here about what the good and the maybe-not-so-good side of Macs are, [not that I have encountered any not-so-good incidents for four years, just my mouse].

My personal conclusion is that for Scrapping, Macs do the job best

AngelclaudArtroom, SeatroutScraps, GingerScrapsAdTeam, SnickerdoodleDesigns.

10. Likes Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you strict with wanting a laptop? I only get desktops for graphics-intensive things and serious gaming. Unless you're going high-end laptop, they just can't compete with a desktop.

That being said, I am also on the look for a new computer (mine is about 5 years old and while I take care of my computers and it still works perfectly, I'm ready for an upgrade) and some of my personal requirements include having at least 8 gigs of ram and a 1 TB HD. I have a 1 TB EHD, but I really need the internal to have that much too, so the computer doesn't get bogged down and laggy.

The ram is NECESSARY and I only have 4 gigs of ram right now and Photoshop can be a bit laggy. The memory is an absolute necessity. I am also wanting to upgrade for a quad-core processor.

I generally spend about $500 on a PC tower then I already have all the peripherals including my monitor. You can get so much more with $500 on a desktop versus a laptop.

macs are great machines but they are INSANELY overpriced. i mean, seriously way too expensive. unless you're trying to do professional graphic design or music creation/editing, it's just not worth it. a lot of people get them just for the name and then just check their email, play games and use photoshop. pointless. there is a learning curve and you can get more machine for far less money going pc versus mac.

12. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at laptops too. My current one is DYING [I get notifications that one of my processors is failing, and well, when you only have two, that can be bad ]. This is one I've been looking at, which is a DELL, and a dang good price [similar to what I paid 5 years ago, but for WAY less specs ]

Product Features

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor

Features a 3MB cache and 2.5GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz.

Intel® Core™ i5 processor

Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.

6GB DDR3 memory

For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.

15.6" WLED high-definition display

With TrueLife technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.

750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

Built-in 1.0MP HD webcam with digital microphone

Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.

8-in-1 media reader

Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, High Speed Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard and xD-Picture Card formats.

4 USB 3.0 ports

Including 1 USB 3.0 port with PowerShare for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.

Built-in Intel® Centrino® Wireless 2230 LAN (802.11b/g/n)

Connect to the Internet without wires.

Bluetooth 4.0 interface

Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.

Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN

For quick and easy wired Web connection.

Weighs 6.1 lbs. and measures just 1.2" – 1.3" thin

For portable power.

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

I've been looking at other brands, and honestly, Dell is giving better specs for the buck than any other maker out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast