Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Paranormal

Recommendations for all Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Paranormal books go in this thread.

Previous recommendations:

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
    Ethereal (Celestra Series Book 1)
    Kiersten White: Paranormalcy
    Courtney Cole - Bloodstone Saga - Book 1 - Every Last Kiss , Book 2 - Fated, Book 3 - With My Last Breath, and Book 4 - My Tattered Bonds.
    A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (for you HBO viewers, Game of Thrones is the first book in this series)
    Anything by Neil Gaiman, my favorites are American Gods and Good Omens (which is a collab with another FAVORITE author).
    That other favorite author: Terry Pratchett. I am currently reading all THIRTY-NINE Discworld novels. Positively BRILLIANT. A lot of amazing satire. He's a true genius.
    Another good book/series is Night Watch (by Sergei Lukyanenko ) (followed by Day Watch, The Twilight Watch, The Last Watch)
    Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
    Blindness by Jose Saramago

GingerScraps is offline Survivor *Digi-County Fair* Host
    The Queen
    *GingerBread Lady*
    Designer and Owner of GingerScraps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Paranormal

Here are a few recommendations from me Many of these are on Audible (audio book) as well.

Delirium (book 1) and Pandemonium (book 2) - by Lauren Oliver
    I TOTALLY LOVE these books! I can not wait for the 3rd book to come out!!

Lena Haloway is content in her safe, government-managed society. She feels (mostly) relaxed about the future in which her husband and career will be decided, and looks forward to turning 18, when she’ll be cured of deliria, a.k.a. love. She tries not to think about her mother’s suicide (her last words to Lena were a forbidden “I love you”) or the supposed “Invalid” community made up of the uncured just beyond her Portland, Maine, border. There’s no real point—she believes her government knows how to best protect its people, and should do so at any cost. But 95 days before her cure, Lena meets Alex, a confident and mysterious young man who makes her heart flutter and her skin turn red-hot. As their romance blossoms, Lena begins to doubt the intentions of those in power, and fears that her world will turn gray should she submit to the procedure. In this powerful and beautifully written novel, Lauren Oliver, the bestselling author of Before I Fall, throws readers into a tightly controlled society where options don’t exist, and shows not only the lengths one will go for a chance at freedom, but also the true meaning of sacrifice.

Divergent (book 1) and Insurgent (book 2)- By Veronica Roth-
    If you liked Hunger Games... you will most likely like these books

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
    During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Unwind (book 1) and UnStrung (book 1.5) UnWholly (book 2)- by Neal Shusterman -
    Unwind was one the those books that once I started I COULD NOT put down! I loved it so so much! I actually have not read the second book yet, I have it on my Kindle ready to be read though

In America after the Second Civil War, the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life armies came to an agreement: The Bill of Life states that human life may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, a parent may choose to retroactively get rid of a child through a process called "unwinding." Unwinding ensures that the child's life doesn’t “technically” end by transplanting all the organs in the child's body to various recipients. Now a common and accepted practice in society, troublesome or unwanted teens are able to easily be unwound. With breath-taking suspense, this book follows three teens who all become runaway Unwinds: Connor, a rebel whose parents have ordered his unwinding; Risa, a ward of the state who is to be unwound due to cost-cutting; and Lev, his parents' tenth child whose unwinding has been planned since birth as a religious tithing. As their paths intersect and lives hang in the balance, Shusterman examines serious moral issues in a way that will keep readers turning the pages to see if Connor, Risa, and Lev avoid meeting their untimely ends.

Also by Neal Shusterman...
    Everlost (Skinjacker Trilogy) (book 1), Everwild (book 2), and Everfound (book 3)
    I got this series for my 12 year old son, he LOVED all of them! I enjoyed them, while they were not my favorite books ever.... I did enjoy them, and its always fun to read books alongside of your kids.

Nick and Allie don’t survive the car accident, but their souls don’t exactly get where they’re supposed to go either. Instead, they’re caught halfway between life and death, in a sort of limbo known as Everlost: a shadow of the living world, filled with all the things and places that no longer exist. It’s a magical, yet dangerous place where bands of lost kids run wild and anyone who stands in the same place too long sinks to the center of the Earth. When they find Mary, the self-proclaimed queen of lost souls, Nick feels like he’s found a home, but Allie isn’t satisfied spending eternity between worlds. Against all warnings, Allie begins learning the “Criminal Art” of haunting, and ventures into dangerous territory, where a monster called the McGill threatens all the souls of Everlost.
    In this imaginative novel, Neal Shusterman explores questions of life, death, and what just might lie in between.
    Last edited by GingerScraps; 01-25-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with most of those, Ginger (and those I don't agree with are simply ones I haven't read yet, lol)

Speaking of the Delirium books, have you read either of the half books that go with that series - Annabel or Hana? They're both 2.99 at Barnes and Noble (so not too expensive), and I figured they might serve as a nice distraction until the third book comes out, lol. Just curious if anyone had read them and thought they were worth picking up.

That Skinjacker trilogy sounds interesting, though!

Post Thanks / Like

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B2N2Scraps View Post
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    Yep, another book on my To Be Read Soon list. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's honestly one of my favorite books. It's amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Maybe I should move it up on the list, then! But, I did just start a new series. Ugh! Why can we not have several more hours in the day?!

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and I both read Paranormalcy and enjoyed it, so I second that recommendation!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to disagree with Ginger about Delirium and Pandemonium. I read them but they were just OK. They were so far my least favorite dystopian fiction series. There was too much romance and not enough action. So go into them expecting a love story. I wasn't going to read the 3rd one (and have my sister tell me about it) until the very last sentence in the second book. GRRR.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm not part of this but the title caught my eye as I was scanning the forums.

I recommend :
    1)Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

2) Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

3) Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

Those are ones I've read somewhat recently. Last book I read was Game of Thrones.
    Currently reading Percy Jackson & the Lighting Theif.

StephenEmail MeFacebookGoogle+TwitterMy Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast