Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope u don't mind...TOOTING my SONS horn :)

i'd like to say i'll make this short...but not real possible for me...however, i'll make it short for ME

some may know others may not that my youngest son (almost 25) is a Volunteer Fire Fighter. Has been for just over 2 yrs. and wanted to for many years before that.

Also as u may know, we live in the country. a big portion of calls r false alarms or minor. next in line is brush fires, barn fires, garage fires etc.and the not so intelligent burn the trash that gets out of control. third in line would be house fires. which for the most part are empty. as a matter of fact here is a photo of him putting out his last fire (no one inside) it looks like he's making jokes but truth is he was at the embers part of it and he couldn't get a good foot hold and found this spot and then got thirsty and someone shot the photo! this is a fairly typical type of fire.

So 6 mos. into his career he had to respond to a fire (as the backup station) that people were in. by the time he arrived they had rescued 3 adults and 3 children. as back up the ff's r tired and need a break so it was up to him and 3 others to do a 'retrieval' of the one adult who did not make it. (not getting gross but it was not smoke that took them ) even worse he found out later that the father had burns they didnt think he would survive (he has but still has a long way to go) and that these were family members of friends of his.

Fast forward to present. last week he got to do his first rescue. not from fire but from paint (primer) fumes that had almost killed the 2 involved and did have them in mass hallucinations and medical distress and had caused the daughter to climb up to a high spot and lose control. he finally was able to know the feeling of bringing a human being to safety she had to go to the hospital but wouldn't be there too long. so anyway i have always been proud of him no matter what and he'd hate that i'm sharing this (only because its what he does and he doesn't consider himself a hero) but guess what...i'm sure that family does...and i KNOW I DO!

here's a link to a LO i did about his FF last spring
    http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/show...outthe&cat=500

guess I'm a tad late

2. Likes emscraps, Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hope u don't mind...TOOTING my SONS horn :)

Is he single?

JK! ;)

4. Likes Juliemomof4 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

he is single...about to graduate college to work with parks, nature, non profit, and kids! he's very handsome, and a gentleman, and friggin NUTS!!!!! (not saying this cuz he's my kid cuz i love his brother with all my heart and i unfortunately can't say these things about him )

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

Oh fun, my life's dream is to work for a non-profit! You have a cool kid!

Post Thanks / Like

his 'plan' is to one day start a white water rafting company for christians in Hawaii while working for their fire and rescue. u don't have to be a christian to attend the camp...but it means that prayers, bible study and stuff will be allowed for those who want to partake.

and yep...he's pretty cool...when the 2 of us r together people hide LOL

guess I'm a tad late

8. Likes Ambelleina liked this post
    emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

That's wonderful, Jacque....toot, toot away!! Job or not, he is a hero. You raised an amazing kid!!

Post Thanks / Like

how great Jacque! it sounds like he's doing something he loves, and he's about to graduate and will continue to do what he loves. Wonderful!
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

Post Thanks / Like

You have a lot to be proud of Jacque. In our community, they just merged the police/fire department in an attempt to save money. The plan is to let 12 fire fighter positions go and cross train police officer to fill the void. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
    My Store

Post Thanks / Like

wow kathy that will be interesting. i think ALL rescue services r heroes but from all i've met its a calling...a passion...which ever field u r in and trying to merge that could have some difficult challenges to say the least.

my son actually is in KY in a small town and they have a paid city FD ($8 per hour...yes u heard me right) and then my son is a part of the county rescue dept which is solely volunteer. of course they work together often. but in many places in the south that r rural as we r and so many hundreds if not thousands of people r...if we did not have volunteers...we would have NO FD...and being so small many of my friends are FF's and they have had to deal with loved ones homes etc as they r also called to auto accidents.

thanks everyone for letting me share. i am proud of him and who he become both because of and in spite of me. there r times i wish he was an accountant instead (cept he'd be homeless as his dyslexia and math r worse than mine LOL) because its safer...i just have to put him God's arms every day because its WHO HE IS ..not who he wants to be!

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely should be proud of him and he is definitely a hero. Kudos to him and all the firefighters, police, etc. that rush into danger to keep us all safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast