Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas Shopping

I can NOT believe we are in November! My aunt, who has worked at K Mart for 20 plus years, and I went shopping there last weekend to start our annual Christmas shopping layaway. (this has been our tradition for years! WIth 9 kids to shop for in our family; layaway is a must!!) I can't believe how expensive stuff is these days. Money is so tight for us right now, as I'm sure it is for many in this economy. I have 3 little ones ages 8, 5, and 2 who all still believe in Santa! So of course I don't want them to be disappointed. So I was wondering what your is your best secret place to shop...in store or online...make suggestions to help us all out!! What is on your kids' wish list? Right now I'm searching for deals on American Girl clothes.

My Blog Digital Layouts by 3BluEyedBabies FB

Proudly creating for Colie's Corner, 4MyBabiesScraps, & True North Scraps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3BluEYedBabies View Post
    I can NOT believe we are in November! My aunt, who has worked at K Mart for 20 plus years, and I went shopping there last weekend to start our annual Christmas shopping layaway. (this has been our tradition for years! WIth 9 kids to shop for in our family; layaway is a must!!) I can't believe how expensive stuff is these days. Money is so tight for us right now, as I'm sure it is for many in this economy. I have 3 little ones ages 8, 5, and 2 who all still believe in Santa! So of course I don't want them to be disappointed. So I was wondering what your is your best secret place to shop...in store or online...make suggestions to help us all out!! What is on your kids' wish list? Right now I'm searching for deals on American Girl clothes.
    My secrets are E-Bay and consignment stores. My kids are still young enough to not know if something is brand new or not. They are just excited that it's new to them!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas Shopping

I'm a working student, so I feel your pain!

I do discount stores, the place I love I believe in only here in TX so I wouldn't suggest that one obviously lol, but deep discount stores, like deeper than Ross, often have brand name stuff for very cheap. I'm also a Big lots shopper. If you sign up for their emails, Big Lots sends out discount coupons and has discount days pretty regularly, especially around this time of year. You can get 25/30% off your entire purchase and it adds up!

I find cool stuff for my mom at some of the bigger, cleaner thrift stores. They often have NIB stuff that people just never used or home decor that looks practically new. I've bought her a lot of gifts there she displays all over the house and cost me just a few $$.

And oh yes, eBay. And Etsy! I love both of those sites for stuff for my sisters.

emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Swagbucks, it's a search engine and you can get points to get free Amazon gift cards!! I've been with them since 2010 and I've gotten over $300 in free Amazon gift cards...woohoo!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3BluEYedBabies View Post
    Right now I'm searching for deals on American Girl clothes.
    a friend of mine just told me about an off-brand set of AG girls clothes and matching outfit for child. she said she found the matching outfits for $25 compared to the american girl brand of $65! i will ask her the name of the brand this weekend.
    my girls want AG dolls, but i am still holding firm and haven't bought them yet. not because i am cheap, i just know that our dogs will eat them because it will get left somewhere, etc...and i will not buy replacements...LOL...so i guess i am just avoiding the situation.
    i will get them most everything else on their lists within reason; mostly small stuff. but we did splurge and get them each a big electronics gift.

OH! also, toys r us price matches. i bought 2 lalaloopsy dolls there yesterday! they were $35 at toys r us, but $24.99 at target, but target was out of stock. and toys r us still gave me the free lalaloopsy gift too for spending $50 even though i was short a few pennies. sometimes its just a matter of doing some research and asking around.

also, walmart does site to store, so you don't have to pay shipping, just go pick it up.

if you're into online shopping, try comparing products at bizrate and shopping dot com too.

hope this helps.

6. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of LaLaLoopsy dolls, if you have a Family Dollar, they sell them there for $25. I also forgot about Swagbucks like Em mentioned. I used my points to buy my son's "big" Christmas gift this year which is a walkie talkie set. But, it takes awhile to rack up the points, so you might not be able to use that this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a huge post written but then I thought, Why not narrow it to the essentials? And essentially...we don't give/get presents from extended family.

My brother and SIL get us gifts, but TBH I wish they wouldn't. They just bought a house and she's preggo. They need to save their money. And frankly, so do we. So next year, I'm going to ask my parents and SIL/brother if we could just do gifts for the grandkids (my 2 and their about to be 1).
    Anyway, as far as DH and our kids: DH and I don't really get each other gifts. And we set strict limits on how much we spend on the kids. (Actually, since DS is will be 10mo at Christmas, I doubt I'll really buy him much. Maybe a toy, and I want a keepsake box for his birth/baby stuff, like his hospital bracelet and footprints. But that's more for me than it is for him rotfl!)

Since my shopping list is so small, I plan ahead and start shopping in the summer. I just watch prices on Amazon/Target. That's pretty much where I shop. I love retailmenot.com for coupon codes for other sites.
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for American Girl dolls/clothes: Target sells the equivalent called "Our Generation" and they are almost identical IMO
    Our Generation Dolls and Accessories at Target

Priscilla got one for her Birthday and loves it!

10. Likes Lmsandt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

which is better the pose able american girl knock off or the non pose able
    http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/data/816/medium/march_siggy2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lmsandt View Post
    which is better the pose able american girl knock off or the non pose able
    My daughter has the non-poseable one, and I must say, it is a tad difficult at time to get them "positioned" in a chair, lol. But she loves her either way! I've never actually SEEN the poseable one in person.

My daughter has: Robyn
    Last edited by MSPeeler; 11-18-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast