Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's just me, with a friendly reminder...

Lisa, reading your post made me nervous lol. What if something happens to your computer? (I've ruined 2 laptops in the past 5 years. I have to have EHDs. I've got a 500GB Seagate that's almost full (probably will be full after I back up all my DSD stuff lol), a 1.5TB Western Digital and a 2TB Seagate. And I put my MOST FAVE pics and kits on my desktop (1TB HD, with a slot for an expansion drive--which I want to get for Christmas!). Anyway, I got sweaty reading your post because I know my track record with laptops. But if you don't have luck with EHDs, then I understand. We have to store our DS stuff however is best for us.
    OK, I'm off to back up a few things while the baby is happy and the older one is playing quietly. (What a rare moment!)
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

2. Likes Sarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I love Backblaze. It automatically backs up things immediately. Within minutes of downloading, the zip file is backed up. After I unzip, the folder is backed up. I love it!

4. Likes Tree City liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am using crashplan online backup right now. I don't even want to think about if my laptop crashes but then again like I said my externals have crashed several times including a seagate 500GB so I take a chance, a dangerous one but hope and pray it won't happen.

6. Likes Tree City liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's great that we all rely on different methods. As long as they work for us, right?
    Pinterest Twitter

8. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been keeping up with this interesting thread.

Been there, done it, dumped it, ruined it, and I learned my lesson. I agree with you Sarah, it's different by everyone but as long as the method works we're safe! There was a discussion like this and I wrote MY back-up plan after I made a huge mistake.

EHD 1Tb with my stuff, [always connected], EHD 500Gb for another back-up, [not connected].
    Carbon Copy for my Mac and SynchTwoFolders for the backups usually once a week. Usually

I'd like to share how I tag my folders, I do them as I go along otherwise everything would be a mess.
    ALL 49Gb of it, I love it! Sure saves me a headache with uploads downloads and so forth.

AngelclaudArtroom, SeatroutScraps, GingerScrapsAdTeam & SnickerdoodleDesigns.

10. Likes Tree City liked this post
    emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

That's neat, Ricki! and very organized!!

I've been going back/forth with the whole back up thing. So....when you back up, do you just back up what new goodies you get, and how do you know which ones? Or do you do a full on back up of all files??

For example, since my EHD crashed (it was always connected) back in Oct, I've decided to save on my computer HD and back up to my EHD (not connected) every once in a while. So I did an initial BU to my EHD Nov. 1. But since then I have a gazillion more kits from DSD that I've sorted in certain folders (by designers). Now...I can't remember which ones are the new ones and they are intermingled with the old files. Should I just BU the whole thing??

Sorry, I'm totally new at this and I'm looking for an easy, manageable way...LOL...

12. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since my back up is online and unlimited, I back up everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emscraps View Post
    Now...I can't remember which ones are the new ones and they are intermingled with the old files. Should I just BU the whole thing??
    For me, I have a system. I have a main Digiscraps folder, which has my normal Kits, Pages, etc subfolders and a really important one: To Back Up. Inside that "To back up" folder are these subfolders: CT, Finished LOs, Kits, and Extras (templates, alphas, fonts, paper or element packs, etc).

So, I put EVERYTHING that I DL into the correct subfolder inside the To Back Up folder. Then, I UL everything to my EHDs. Once something is backed up, I either delete it off my laptop or move it from the To Back Up folder and into its correct folder inside my main DS folder (so, a kit I bought and want to scrap with rightnow gets moved into the Kits folder. A CT kit that I've already made a LO with and don't plan to use again soon gets deleted off my computer). This saves me from getting confused about what has been backed up and it saves space on my computer. (Oh, and my EHDs have the same folders EXCEPT the CT folder: all my kits go into one main KITS folder on my EHDs. I look stuff up by searching for the designer's name (if I want a CT kit) or just by search words that I've added as tags or to the comments section of the kit's preview (which I have of course renamed "folder" so that it's the folder's preview--and since the key words are associated with the kit's preview, I can easily SEE what is in a kit just by searching my key words.

Whew. I'm tired just writing that out. ;) Hopefully it helps you! Oh, and I use a PC.
    Pinterest Twitter

15. Thanks emscraps thanked for this post
    Likes emscraps, Ricki liked this post
    emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Sara!! That's quite a system. I need to reread it to understand it better..LOL....

I kinda-sorta do the same thing, but then I start getting confused and get off the system, plus I also started saving some files on my work computer. But I think once I get another EHD I'll only save photos at work. Don't want them to think I'm scrapping here..haha!! I just spent hours last night going through pictures and organizing them. I had the same pictures in 4 different folders!! Man, my computer is so not happy with me right now

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, whenever I try to explain my system, I think to myself "I should make a video--it would be so much easier if people could see my computer screen when I explain where everything goes!"
    Once you figure out a system that works for you and you stick to that system, then you'll be fine. It took me awhile to figure this out, but I love it. And these threads are great because there is always someone out there wondering "How the heck do I organize all this?!" lol.
    Pinterest Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12