Thread: stressed

Post Thanks / Like

Default stressed

Sorry for writing a novel... i just need to vent. Feel free to tell me to quit whinning lol . Right now we are renting from my Dad's best friend and it is causing me so much stress lately. The sink in our bathroom started to leak and it took him 3 months to get someone out here to look at it and once he found out the bill was going to be $4k, he started drinking again and went into a rehab center because he started to think about killing himself. So we thought it might be best to pay our jeep off early in January, and start putting that money to the side for a downpayment to get a house. But lately I am not even sure I am going to last that long with all the crap going on with this house.

Well, he fixed the bathroom half way -- I definitely understand money is tight for everyone BUT fix it right! The furnace started to leak & he decided going on vacation was more important. Hubs ended up having to fix it but who knows how long it will last. The fixture in our half bathroom doesn't work & now the fridge is leaking water, we told him and he just kinda shrugged his shoulders because it was still working. So, we went and bought a fridge last night.

I am so frustrated. He paid for brazillian slate to be put in the kitchen and dining room and he's willing to let it get ruined just baffles me. I really wish he'd just fix the stuff because I feel that just because we are like family he thinks he can take his sweet time fixing stuff that he should be fixing immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: stressed

it's so hard having those kinds of relationships with friends/family! I recently lost a good family friend because she was a client of mine, and her complete disorganization was too stressful for me & not worth the fee she was willing to pay, so I dropped her... and she's upset. I tried for months to communicate with her about the problems, but she just got worse. Maybe its time to look for somewhere else to live... you might be able to get assistance with the electric bill and insurance? If you qualify for a VA loan - you don't even need a down payment on the mortgage. FHA is only 3% down, but they have strict requirements in what you can buy.

3. Thanks scrappydoo82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ick... that sucks! But you are right, it is hard having that kind of relationship and that definitely is our problem. We have been talking about using the VA Loan, he already has the paperwork from when he was in the army I didn't know that you didn't need a downpayment. We are going to also sit down iwth our bank and see what they can do for us. I really wish I could get assistance on the electric bill... with the summer months it's been running $300+ because apparently the back end of the house has no insulation :| I have tried everything to cut down the bill just a little but it was just miserable this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Our power company will actually re-insulate homes for their customers on reduced incomes... or at least they did several years ago :-\

Definitely shop around for home loans -- and seriously take advantage of VA benefits!!! Not only do you not need a down payment, but when it comes to refinancing they make it a whole lot easier. One of my friends didn't even need an appraisal to refinance, and I actually rarely get VA refinances to appraise... and when we do, they're "drive-by" appraisals.

Also shop around... you don't have to go through a bank you're already with. These days it's rare to get benefits from being at a bank for X number of years :-\

missdamsel is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

Right now interest on a VA loan is about 3.5% with 0 down. A great deal! But remmeber they are picky about the houses you purchase. The inpsections are harder with VA loans, but that is only good for you!!

We are actually looking for a house right now as well. Sorry you are having a bad time, another thing to look into is home insurance. I don't know if you can get it for a rental though. Check it out, especially once you buy a house. It runs about $300 a year and can be paid monthly (I believe) and they will fix anything for like a $40 co-pay. Microwave if installed, washer, dryer, stove, dishwasher, etc (you ge the idea!!)

http://quote.ahs.com/homewarranty?Ma...FQTznAodYVoAGQ if you can do it for rentals it sounds like it is worth it. If not suggest it to your homeowner!! can't hurt anything!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Meg, we haven't been with our bank for long but some of our friends have financed with them and said it is a good place to do it. definitely the best to look around and see who has the best rates.

Missi, that's exactly what my friend was saying, that they are super picky on the inspections and what you get and how old. After being in this house, they won't have to worry about me wanting an older home lol. I guess that's the good thing because now we know what we want. I will definitely have to look into that link! I saved it because i fwe can't use it now, we can always use it later.

Sarah is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

We looked into rural development loans (because we want to live semi-out-in-the-country) and standards are strict with that (like what type of house, condition, and location).

My biggest advice, when buying a house, is find a real estate agent who KNOWS what you're looking for, who isn't just in it for the buck. Ugh, did we ever have that issue. She had NO idea what was part of rural development, was always 20-30 minutes late for showings because she was working on her rental properties. Then she'd tell us "Oh, someone put in an offer on that." We're looking now, a year later, at some of those listings and they're still on the market, for LESS, so it's nice, but now we don't have any of that extra money because we had to buy a car

Lmsandt is online now Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *Snickerdoodle*
    *GingerScraps Ad Team

Post Thanks / Like

look into Churchhill mortgage's they will shop around and find the best deal for you. where a bank only does that particular bank. This is the place Dave Ramsey recommends. (whom i love)
    http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/data/816/medium/march_siggy2.jpg

missdamsel is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

I Dave Ramsey!! He does his radio show less than 2 mile from my house. One of these days I am going to go watch since it is open audience!

11. Likes Tree City, Lmsandt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! I hope he fixes everything! What a pain to have to deal with all this!