Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I save... do you save.... ?

Trying to get my stash organized (it's a never-ending task...) and I'm curious about templates.

I use GIMP & I *have* CS5 although I have barely began trying to figure it out. I can use .psd files in GIMP for templates.

So.... is there any point in keeping .tiff or .png of templates? I get rid of the .page ones automatically because I can't even use those. I keep debating on getting rid of the tiff & png though. Deleting them would save a bunch of space... but will I want them for something in the future?

So what do you do and what should I do? Is there a point to keeping more than the psd?

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the Tiff's only. I use Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, though.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do I save... do you save.... ?

I delete everything but the PSD files since they're all I use. Some people use TIFFs in PS (I have CS5, too), but I still prefer PSDs. I don't foresee myself switching off of PS since I've been using it for years and upgrade regularly.

I am told people prefer TIFFs because they work as a "preview" in the folder in Explorer, but if you open your template from within PS it shows a preview and if you keep the folder preview from the kit, it's has enough of a preview for me, as well.

I just don't see the point in keeping PNGs, TIFFs and PAGEs when all I use is PSD.

4. Likes mamaape liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

TIFFs, if saved right, also take up a LOT less space than a PSD. ;)

6. Likes MSPeeler liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I say keep whatever format you are currently using and then get rid of the rest. Since you are using GIMP, keep the PSD. If you switch to Photoshop you'll still be able to use them and from that point on you can start keeping the TIF instead to save space.

Sent from my VM670 using Forum Runner

8. Likes Colleen liked this post
    missdamsel is offline *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

I am a hoarder, I keep it all. I need to start deleting the extra files, but I just can't! lol Also if you switch to something later you can always take the psd and save it as a different format later.

Quote Originally Posted by StarWarsFans View Post
    I say keep whatever format you are currently using and then get rid of the rest. Since you are using GIMP, keep the PSD. If you switch to Photoshop you'll still be able to use them and from that point on you can start keeping the TIF instead to save space.

Sent from my VM670 using Forum Runner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    TIFFs, if saved right, also take up a LOT less space than a PSD. ;)

DITTO

Post Thanks / Like

i just started Saving the Tiffs. i haven't been able to tell a difference in my program of the 2. I also save my layered files as Tiffs instead of PSD

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the if the Tiff's are saved correctly it is a smaller file size.
    Now- here is what I 'really' do. Save between the PSD and TIFF whichever is smaller in file size,plus I can view from the folder and not be in the program.
    Now when I am scrapping the LO [even if it is a TIFF template], I will save the LO as a PSD while working on it.
    WHY? because it saves faster and opens faster.
    When DONE, I delete out the Template pieces and keep just the kit papers and elements,- [with the clipped layer active- ctrl+click the template piece to get the marching ants; ctrl+shift+ delete. then delete the template piece.]
    Why, smaller file size. If I already have the template, I don't need it twice
    then save my final as TIFF

much smaller file size..
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Well this crazy lady never even thought about it and save all of it. I have never used the TIFF's and don't even know how to tell you the truth. I always use the PSD's since that is the way I learned, and that's what's easy for me, so I guess I should be deleting the TIFF's since I don't need them. Michi, that sounds like a lot of work, and you are wayyyy smarter than this chick, to be able to figure all of that out!
    Great topic, I think I will start deleting the TIFF's now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast