Default Re: I need a cheering section

missdamsel is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said it is not an addiction. I give up sodas all the time. It is a taste preference and a habit more than anything. I love tea and flavored water too!

Sarah is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missdamsel View Post
    Like I said it is not an addiction. I give up sodas all the time. It is a taste preference and a habit more than anything. I love tea and flavored water too!
    I know what you mean, completely.
    You're stronger than me. I can't give it up. I mean, I can go diet, or what-not (as long as it's not with aspartame, which LIMITS my diets). Mine is a caffeine issue. Soda's caffeine hits faster than coffee or tea, and when you have a headache, man, you want fast.

Be careful cutting it, if you tend to get headaches from caffeine. Cold Turkey can cause some WICKED withdrawal headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it Missi. I gave up all soda earlier this year. I never ever kept soda in the house, but it was an at work habit or out shopping habit that I needed one. I love the fizz of soda so initially I weaned myself off of the soda by drinking the flavored bubbly water even though I don't really like those. I always drink a lot of water so it wasn't a replacement for my water intake. Now and then I will have an orange soda or a root beer, but I can not have a Pepsi or Coke or the cycle will start all over again. Honestly soda makes me feel like crap and I don't miss that at all. I have given up soda in the past and been soda free for years but this time I'm done.

Good luck to you.

*Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

the carbs are going to be my challenge. I give up sodas cold turkey for months at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it, Missi!

I went on a low carb/no sugar diet a year and a half ago. The purpose initially is to get your metabolism to kick into high gear. I cut down to 20 net carbs per day ... and absolutely no sugar. On day three ... I was really about to cave because I wanted some chocolate SO BAD! I realized that I was addicted to sugar, and I needed something to help me get through the craving (2pm seems to be the magic hour for me to crave chocolate). I started looking up recipes on the Atkin's diet site and for strategies to get through the cravings. I discovered that they had chocolate bars ... and Target carries them. I don't like some of them, but the Chocolate Nut Rolls SAVED me.

I was able to stick to the 20g of carbs and no sugar/day for just over three weeks (more time than specified, I think, but once I got going I hated to stop). Then I gradually started working other carbs back in. I'm still very careful about the number of net carbs I eat each day. I also discovered some things that I love that replace carbs. One thing in particular is mashed cauliflower. I steam the cauliflower, then mash it up, add some butter and cream (yes, you can have butter and cream - any type of fat on this diet - just low carb!), salt and white pepper ... and sometimes grated cheddar cheese. This has become a favorite here at our house.

I drink a high protein shake each morning, and it keeps me pretty full until dinner typically. My shake recipe is: approximately 3/4 of cup of almond milk (any type of milk will do, but this is my fav), a hefty tablespoon of natural peanut butter, a hefty tablespoon of Greek yogurt, a banana, and a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (I like Jillian Michael's protein powder) ... I put all in a blender and blend until smooth ... then I add about seven cubes of ice and continue blending until smooth again. I have an auto immune disease, so my muscles LOVE the protein, and it is very filling.

My advice is to know your weaknesses ahead of time and have a strategy for dealing with them. Mine was the 2pm chocolate cravings. For others, it's probably going to be missing sodas, potatoes, bread, etc. I lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. I have kept it off for well over a year and a half ... but, I have a husband with a legendary sweet tooth and he tempts me often. When he decides to have a goodie, I try to have something around that I can enjoy and not feel left out.

You may not feel the urge to do the full blown Atkin's plan, but the website has recipes so it can be helpful. It also explains why going low carb works to lose weight. Honestly, I felt so much better while I was on the full blown Phase 1 portion of the diet. The first few days are rough ... but once you get past it, you will feel much better and your will power to stay on the diet becomes much stronger ... and you'll probably see some quick results that will encourage you too.

STAY STRONG!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to scare you or anything, but I decided to do this Friday, ate brocolli, green beans, and tomatos for lunch, and was in the hospital by midnight. LOL!

Seriously, unless you have blocked bowels, veggies are the way to go. I eat them all the time. No sugar, no carbs, just yummy!

trina513 is offline *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *Lead GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck Missi! I'm no help in giving up soda - I am not a soda drinker - and I like water - LOL!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

msbrad is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

I've not read thru... as I have internet super duper PITA issues tonight.. ok- that is out..
    moving on.
    YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    Avoid wheat, sugar and substitute with PROTEIN, whole grains and a lot of fruit.
    stopping now before internet cuts me out again.

My change of eating...has dropped me 50+ without trying...
    m
    Michelle

*Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

I need to measure to see how big this bottle is:

But I have had three of these with flavored water since I posted this thread!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast