Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chronological or Theme or Subject etc

How to you scrapbook? Do you scrapbook in chronological order, or just on a whim/whatever strikes you at the time? Even if you do scrapbook out of order, how do you organize your albums? Are they set up by year, or by subject or trip or theme?

I love the freedom of scrapbooking what I want when I want, instead of being tied to the next group of photos in my timeline, and I love the freedom of albums with page protectors because I can rearrange them whenever I want but I HATE the size of albums. I know digi takes of way less room than paper scrapping, but I also like to alter a page or two here and there too. I saw a bound photo book the other day and since then the idea of it has been tempting. They are so compact and easy to look at compared to post bound albums...I just don't know if I could make the leap and commit to a type of album organization. Also I feel like if I scrap by album, then I am tied to the next photos in the album and I would lose my freedom of scrapping what I want when I want.

Would love to hear what y'all think, and how you scrapbook too!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chronological or Theme or Subject etc

I usually scrap chronologically. However, with my EHD crash, my photos are a jumbled mess. It's a long story... lol Anyway I did end up having all my photos saved on DVDs as well as two EHDs (both crashed within a week of each other), but it is time consuming putting all those DVDs back on 2 new EHDs...

So right now I have been scrapping all over the place. When I see a kit, I think of photos I have taken that would match. Then I HOPE they have made it to my EHD! If not, I try to do a different kit. ;)

I have only done the post bound books so far, but I am going to start doing the bound books. The bound books are so much slimmer (they are cheaper in the end too), and with how many layouts I have the books are going to add up quick! I think I have a book a year so far! That's lots of books! :

For my kids - I do their albums in chronological order. Holidays and vacations all go in one book so far. The oldest is about to start school in the fall, so I don't know if I am going to do a separate school one. I am almost thinking yes though. It would be fun to see how they change through the school years in a sort of at a glance album. I could change my mind though. lol A school year album would almost need to be post bound though. I don't want to wait until senior year to print a school years album.

Those of you with older kids - do you take less photos now? We went to the beach on Sunday. I took 100 photos. 100 photos. Insane. No wonder I have so many photos to scrap and so many albums for the kids! Not to mention those 100 photos were just at the beach. That doesn't even count other photos I took that day. lol

Ok - I am done rambling!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't scrapbook in order. I do it as the whim takes me and I find kits I like that fit photos I've taken. Scrapping in order often feels restrictive to me and my creativity just doesn't flow if I'm not in the mood to scrap a certain event or photos.

But I use post bound albums so that I can rearrange, add pages and I also do it so that if there is a page I don't like once printed I can always redo it without much hassle). I'm a shocker for not printing so by the time I get around to it I usually have a complete album anyway, so I could probably do bound albums, but I like the freedom of post bound.

I usually organise my albums by year, except for major trips (7 days or more) or special events (like family weddings or reunions).

Post Thanks / Like

I scrap what I feel.
    I have albums I got from Michael's that I can rearrange layouts. It's. Cheaper to print that way

Post Thanks / Like

I scrapbook how I feel as well. I do print my albums chronological, though, regardless of when they were scrapped.

6. Likes StarWarsFans liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I haven't scrapped in awhile and part of it is because I'm feeling soooooo behind and it frustrates me. Since I used to be on so many creative teams, I would scrap by the theme of the current kit I was working with. But, I like to print my layouts in chronological order by year. So, this left a lot of holes as a lot of my photos wouldn't fit with assigned kits and/or I would end up scrapping the same photos multiple times because they were the only one I had that worked with a particular theme. At the end of the year, I go through and see how many pages I need to go back and finish in order to get my albums printed. Let's just say I have so many "holes" that I haven't printed an album in 4 years. My daughter has yet to see herself in print.

So, I quit all my creative teams in hopes of finding time to scrap just for myself. But that backfired, because now I have no creativity left and can't scrap a page to save my life. I think since I'm not assigned a "kit", I don't know where to start! I can't decide which photos to scrap, what kit to use with them, etc. I'm hoping that by taking some time off, my "mojo" will come back and I can eventually get 2009 finished. But looking at how many pages I need to scrap in order to print my 2009 book at this point, I get extremely overwhelmed. We're taking about 5o pages for my son's book and close to 85 for my daughter!

Post Thanks / Like

I use post bound albums and I arrange them by year chronologically. However, I scrap as I am inspired. I use the most recent first usually, but when I get a kit that sparks interest in an older photo I will scrap that. I just printed almost 70 layouts, and while most of them went into my 2012 album, I had several that I had to work into older albums. I have about 7 albums now

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Take a wet sponge...throw it against the wall, and then you have how I scrap.
    As my siggie says- scrappin' life as the spirit moves me. It is very true. I might do a grandbaby current photo page...then dig out some old pics of when DD danced...or whatever

When it comes to printing...and organizing the LO's, that is a different story.
    IF, an event with a definite start and finish [timeline]- most likely a bound book.
    Examples- wedding album, DD + SIL; wedding album RAK for a friends DD.
    Cruise- 2011.
    My grandbaby's book: The Story of Me - starts with getting pregnant...the last page is baby is born. [and I'm almost finished with scrapping it! ]

IF, pages from...our annual trips to Longboat Key or just daily road trips or regular stuff, most likely those get printed as single 12x12 and into an album from Michael's.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msbrad View Post
    Take a wet sponge...throw it against the wall, and then you have how I scrap.
    I had to laugh at that!! That's pretty much how I scrap too!

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I must do chronologically is my 365 (of cource), which I sooooo ♥ (everyone should do one!) I actually work in it nearly everyday. It's great to look back and say "yay, I covered a whole year!" I also use it as a visual diary and sometimes use it to find pics for future LO's... example: a new winter kit comes out, so I look through my 365 to find a ski trip.

As for my other pages I try to work chronologically but sometimes, especially for CT work, it's by theme to match a new kit.

I do have this void space from when I stopped paper scrapping and started digi - I really, REALLY, REALLY, need to go back and fix that! I have some notes somewhere, I need to find them and get that done!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast