Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Desperately Seeking Virus help!!!

So we have the xfinity triple play...cable, internet, phone, all in one deal. I don't think it's a deal, in fact if it were up to me, I'd cancel cable. I never watch it anyway. It is so expensive...the last time I looked at the bill I was shocked...it's around $180 per month. But, my husband pays for it and so he insists on keeping it.

It does include the Norton Security Suite. So I thought, great since we pay so darn much for this whole package, this security should be pretty good...right? Wrong! I'm pretty sure we have a virus or SOMETHING. The computer is new; only a few months old and is now SOOO SLOW. Lots of pop-ups; and some pages won't even load or take forever; especially FB; which we all NEED because of scrapping!

So I was wondering what you all use for virus protection..and if its free; that would be great! I just used AVG for the free month...didn't seem to do anything.

PLEASE HELP>>>and use simple terms...I'm no computer genius obviously!!

My Blog Digital Layouts by 3BluEyedBabies FB

Proudly creating for Colie's Corner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Desperately Seeking Virus help!!!

This is my experience:

I use AVG and have never had a problem.

I have had Norton and it slowed my computer because it took heaps of memory to run. The joke in Australia about Norton is you'll never get a virus because you can't get anything done.

Most computers here come with a year of free Norton, after that most people change to something else. I suggest if you have discs for norton then try uninstalling it and for a trial download avg and see if it makes it better. You can always reinstall it if that's not the issue.

Hope this helps but as I say this is my experience so someone else may have a better solution

Post Thanks / Like

Norton is very heavy on the compter. AVG is good and so is Sopho's. I use Sopho's free version on my Mac. It's 'lite' on the computer and it works great.

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

We just finished the rid of a virus. I know exactly how I 'got' it.
    Anyhow-
    We use: AVG, Mal-ware Byte, and will do an occasional run thru with C-Cleaner. All are free and a trusting place to DL from is CNET

Another thing to do on a regular basis- is go to Tools at the top tool bar, and delete browsing history and temporary files. Also check your disk clean up, and defrag.
    Because we, click and click and click [well at least I do] there is a lot of "gunk" that gets in there.
    m
    Michelle

5. Likes Ricki liked this post
    prettyingreen is offline *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

I use AVG Free and Mal-Ware bytes, on the advice of my computer techy friend, and havnt had any trouble in a long time, but i do try to avoid the file sharing sites now, that is where the last few came from. I havnt used Nortin since prolly highschool, so im not much help there

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

And many people's biggest mistake is multiple virus softwares. People think if they have 2 or 3 then no virus can get thru, right? Wrong! The anti virsuses then spend too much time fighting each other that they aren't there when you realy need them.

Also, a big thing to watch out for are games and ads on sites such as facebook. I love Fb and I am on there all the time, I just avoid clicking the ads and I don't play any of the games.

8. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You are so right Missi! Not only do multiple Anti Virus programs 'fight' against each other they also can collide, causing real damage to a computer. Being aware is the name of the game. I go by my "think before I click" rule, works all the time.

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

People do not understand why I don't watch the videos on FB, MANY if not MOST of them are virus ridden. My rule of thumb is if I do not KNOW the person IN the video (such as a friends kid, etc) and the person who took and uploaded the video, I don't watch it. Just because your best friend shares or posts a video doesn't mean it is safe! If they didn't shoot he video or know who did, I don't click!

Not aimed at anyone who does, just sharing my policy!

11. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also use AVG and it does a really good job. It does sound like you might have a virus though, although I am not a computer person at all, and there's a lot of great advice here already for you. I hope you get it figured out. There is a way to check your computer to see what is running in the BG, but I can't remember how to do that. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geswho40 View Post
    I also use AVG and it does a really good job. It does sound like you might have a virus though, although I am not a computer person at all, and there's a lot of great advice here already for you. I hope you get it figured out. There is a way to check your computer to see what is running in the BG, but I can't remember how to do that. Does anyone here know how to do that?
    Hi Toni!
    This can help but PLEASE, if anyone isn't sure I wouldn't want to take responsibility. That would make me feel awful. Do this only if there is confidence. I have a Mac but I remember from my PC days AND I Googled it:

On PC:
    ctrl-alt-delete, then choose Task Manager OR run taskmgr from the start menu/run
    Click the tab labeled "Processes." The box under "CPU Usage" shows the activity of your computer's CPU. The boxes under "CPU Usage History" show the usage history of each CPU core.

On Mac:
    Activity monitor is in the Applications folder, there in the Utilities folder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast