Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have info on blood clots?

So, this weekend I found out I have a blood clot in a superficial vein in my leg. First time ever in my life, however, I heard it is common when you have surgery. Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips?

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone have info on blood clots?

My daughter suffered blood clots after having her son 4 years ago. I coulod ask her some questions if have specific questions. Are they treating you with blood thinners??

3. Thanks dodgeladee thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Missi! Yes on the blood thinners. Am I going to be able to exercise?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know much - I know my new BIL has blood clot issues - but dont know much other than that - he's not much of a talker...
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

6. Thanks dodgeladee thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My husband had a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) under his arm when he was in the hospital for an extended period of time. They did not take his BP on that side and moved his arm very little. He is on coumadin. His level is checked weekly by a home nurse and he must stay on that for a full six months. We were told after 6 months he can come off of it but at any time after that he develops another one... he'll have to stay on it.

Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Linda (kelin)

Believe!

8. Thanks dodgeladee thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I have had one... I had been on a PIC line during my pregnancy and after they took it out the day I gave birth I was excited. On the day they tried to release me from the hospital my little sister laughed that one of my feet was bigger than the other one. When we pointed it out to a Dr. they did the ultra sound and found the DVT. I was on Lovenox injections for 10 days and then on warfrin/cumidin for a few months after.... I think mine was directly linked to the PIC line but the line was in my arm and the DVT was in my right leg so I'm not 100% sure. I can't take any hormonal birth control, or mood stabalizers since then.

10. Thanks dodgeladee thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do know the seriousness of clots will really vary depending on the location. I have a blood clotting disorder, but all of my clots have been in my brain. It has caused me to have many many strokes. The majority of the time they are a Tia (a mini stroke), but I have a handful of full blow strokes too.
    I have been on coumdian for almost 10 years, and it will be life long for me.
    I can't offer much advice about the clot your having, but if you want to know anything about coumdian feel free to ask.

That's sure a scary thing to go through!! I hope your coping ok.
    Big hugs to you