Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Veterinarian anyone?

So, For the past few days (maybe a week), my dog has been having random short-lived episodes of heaving/coughing with a grunting sound, without vomiting. She acts as if she is trying to cough something up, but nothing comes up. Not sure what to do, as we can not afford to take her to the vet at this time!

Pet Information:
    Type of Animal: Siberian Husky
    Pet's Gender: Female
    Pet's Age: 18 months
    Name of Dog: Zoe

I took a video, because its too hard to explain:
    Last edited by MSPeeler; 07-10-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Veterinarian anyone?

Is she lethargic? Does she still do her normal activity and play? I know Gus gets into weird sneezy/cough-y fits sometimes and it's normal... but it's hard to know what to say.... Is her nose cold and wet? If her energy & activity are normal... and she's eating... and her nose is cold and wet... It may be something as simple as like allergies maybe? eek... I don't know... I just know whenever all of the above are normal, my vet tells me not to worry unless something starts to change...

If you have a regular vet, sometimes you can call and explain that you don't have the money to bring the dog in and they will tell you (as much as they can without seeing her) what to look for or if it sounds serious.

3. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

maybe even shooting them an email with your video might help.

5. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

First of all ...OMG your Zoe is GORGEOUS, (those eyes...wow) and she made me smile when she went on her back for a second, hahaha. I am not a vet, but I have extensive experience working with dogs through animal rescue. I have seen this a lot, and is called a backwards/reverse sneeze and is very common in dogs. Sometimes it is because they have something they are trying to clear from the back of their throat, some irritant, but usually isn't dangerous. Sometimes it could be allergies or a reaction to something you are using to clean your home. It's more common in dogs with flat faces like pugs, and dogs as they get older. If she is eating and drinking and playing normally, and is not having any discharge from her nose, I would give her a few days to clear whatever it is. You can also message the neck, but I have never been successful with this. If she isn't eating and drinking normally, then I would take her to the vet because then it could be more serious, and you don't want it to get into their lungs. Anywho you can google it now that you know what it's called and see if you can find more info on it. Good luck with her and keep us posted

7. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Furball? No wait, that's cats...

I don't know how to dogs.

9. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post
    prettyingreen is offline *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

my dog does that, it like when they have something up their nose.

11. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Alfie does that EXACT same thing.

Though we've never taken him to the vet, my assumption (due to the timing of when he gets these "attacks") is perhaps asthma for dogs? Or just like out of breath. I noticed when he's REALLY excited to go out for a walk and will pull and get want to RUUUUUUN but I haul him up and keep him in line, he starts to wheeze(?) like that. He also does it around the house when he gets really worked up.

Like Terra said, does Zoe resume normal play? Is it just a brief episode and she's a-okay after? Then it might just be nothing overly concerning. Alfie will have a small episode and then just be back to normal. At first I was super scared when he initially did it, but it's rare (MAYBE once every couple months?) and at his last check up he was aces. So.. I'd suggest calling too, or emailing the video! That's smart!

13. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

p.s. I totally didn't read much of the other responses here before I posted, but now that I did, those make sense too

15. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

p.p.s. Zoe is FREAKINGGORGEOUS

17. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post
    Likes Neverland Scraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, sounds like the reverse sneeze, (we call them snorfells) both my dogs do it occasionally. The Puggle more than the Beagle, probably because of her short snout. Sometimes rubbing her throat will help.

...that will be $65.00.

19. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post
    Likes Neverland Scraps liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast