Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you appreciate unannounced visitors?

Are you happy to see friends/family when they just show up at your door without fore-warning? I have to say that when someone comes over for a visit I like to know before hand. My mother-in-law just shows up at my house and wants to visit. I would be happy to welcome her if I was expecting her. When people come over I like to have my house ready and my schedule/to-do list clear. When she just pops in I put on my happy face, but inside I am rolling my eyes and saying grrr lol.

So who here loves the surprise visitor? Who doesn't?

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike them because I would like warning that I need to put on a bra ;)

3. Likes sparkysgirl, zeee, JillW, AmyP liked this post
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you appreciate unannounced visitors?

Sarah you made me LOL!

No Amy, not really. Sometimes DD pops in, and that is usually ok. I would NEVER do that to someone. IF I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door.
    I also donot answer the phone, if I am not familiar with the number. [the : 1 8oo service or private callers....forget it]

I'm fine IF I know someone is coming.
    m
    Michelle

5. Likes sparkysgirl, AmyP, Tree City liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

lol Sarah!

I don't like unannounced visitors either, because they tend to show up at the most inconvenient times . I appreciate a phone call (even if they are only 5mins away) before they drop in - it gives me the opportunity to either say its not a good time or madly hide the mess.

7. Likes AmyP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I *haaaaate* when people just show up. I feel like it's rude. My mom just stopped by at 10pm last night to "give me something" she could have waited til today to give me. Just because we live close, she think she has free reign to just show up at my apartment, plop herself on my couch and talk about nothing for half an hour when I'm trying to get ready to go to sleep. It just bugs the heck out of me; I would never just show up at someone's home unannounced!

9. Likes Terra, AmyP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like unannounced visitors if they are my family. I don't have family around anymore, so I miss it a lot. I don't mind when some people come by, but if it's salesmen, I hate that the very most!!!

I tell them if I wanted to buy something, I would have already got online or went to the store...

Lately the only people 'popping' in are my 2 teenage sons' girlfriends or friends, so it's all good. If they are not here to interrupt my designing or whatever I'm doing and the kids will usually leave with their friends so it means quiet time.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and I always say, "I hate it when people stop by when I'm in the middle of a project," and my husband says, "But you're always in the middle of a project" so I quit complaining....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmyP View Post
    . My mother-in-law just shows up at my house and wants to visit. I would be happy to welcome her if I was expecting her.
    If my mother in law lived in town, that would be hard. She's a super talker and I'm not.. after a while of listening to her, my brain shuts down.... I have to 'work myself up' before I have any visits with her.

13. Likes sparkysgirl, AmyP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely despise it when people show up unannounced. The exception would be my own kids when they are older, lol. I think showing up without calling first/making plans is one of the rudest things you can do. Seriously though, I don't have time for people who just show up - half the time they are salespeople. I just plain don't answer the door or phone if I don't know who it is. I probably sound rude, but I just can't stand it and it makes me uncomfortable not knowing who it is. LOL I'm crazy. DH thinks I'm a nut, because his family is totally fine with people just randomly showing up. He always wants me to walk down and ask his mom something (they only live a block away), and I'm like no way!! I will NOT just show up at someone's house, ever.

15. Likes Ambelleina, AmyP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmyP View Post
    When she just pops in I put on my happy face, but inside I am rolling my eyes and saying grrr lol.
    Just don't answer the door. ;) That's what I've done. I never answer it if I'm not expecting someone. I won't answer it for men, women, people with clip boards lol, delivery people (except my really awesome USPS mail carrier cuz I know her), or anyone else. Once, my neighbor knocked on my door. She was with some lady I didn't know: I figured they were trying to sell me something so I just didn't answer the door. Turns out, she was gonna ask me to watch/feed/take out her birds, 4 dogs, and Lord knows how many lizards for 3 months(!) while she was on vacation (the woman with her was going to "help" me do it). Glad I didn't answer the door!

I don't like unannounced visitors for the same reason you don't: I want my house to be in order and my schedule cleared, and with a 4mo, I need TIME to get it cleaned up lol!

My MIL tried to plan a "surprise visit" here for Mother's Day the year we'd moved here. She lives in MI, we're in TX. So... she wanted to fly 1,400 from home to "surprise" me, her DIL who doesn't like her, with a visit...for MOTHER'S DAY?! I told DH that if she ever shows up on my doorstep unannounced, I'm calling the cops. DH knows I'm not kidding. It's not that I want her arrested: it's that I want her to finally, for once, understand that this is my life with my husband and these are our kids (not "my grandbabies," which is the only way she's ever referred to them). OMG, this "surprise visit" thing was 3 years ago and it STILL drives me nuts. Funny thing, she sent an email to DH, my SIL and her husband, and me just a month ago: She wanted to plan a "surprise birthday vacation" for her hubby in Jan. She wanted to come here! SIL lives in WA, and like I said, FIL and MIL live in MI. I want to rip my hair out. Thankfully DH handled that by politely explaining how we can't have DD out of school for a week, etc etc. Oy. I told DH "She doesn't want to surprise him with a visit here cuz HE wants to come here. She wants to come here cuz she wants to see her grandkids and she's using FIL's bday as an excuse, just like she used Mother's Day as an excuse to 'surprise' me. FIL doesn't want to come to TX for his birthday. He comes here all the time for visits. He's gonna want to go somewhere special." DH told MIL to ask FIL where he wanted to go...turns out he said Alaska. Bwahahahahaha!
    So long story short lol, it's funny you posted this cuz it just drives me nuts and we just had to deal with something like this.
    Last edited by Tree City; 06-23-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

17. Likes AmyP liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast