Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone...

Thanks guys. It got pretty bad today. I went to use a pen to write something and could hardly grip it. Then the pain started going all the way down my arm. I could hardly open the cap on my bottle of tea today. I am hoping this upcoming vacation from the pc will help. Thanks for the article!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you are keeping your wrist and arm in a straight line with the table/desk and have it fully supported. In other words...no reaching to your mouse and keyboard. However, if the problem is present now, the best medicine will be to step back from the computer and take at least a few days off completely and when you go back to it, make sure you're following the tips on the link sent by Michi.

Quote Originally Posted by brenian4ever View Post
    Thanks guys. It got pretty bad today. I went to use a pen to write something and could hardly grip it. Then the pain started going all the way down my arm. I could hardly open the cap on my bottle of tea today. I am hoping this upcoming vacation from the pc will help. Thanks for the article!

Post Thanks / Like

i've had it for several years since i work all day on a computer then scrap when home, so pretty much all day computer working. i would recommend that your work station be set up ergonomincally, that's very important, placement of keyboard, mouse, etc. never higher than your elbows. i work on a pull out keyboard drawer.
    also, ice wrap your hand when resting is possible. there are also braces for your hand and wrist, but they take some getting used to.
    i went to physical therapy everyday for 3 years for mine, so i'm very careful now and make sure i get some rest, that's when i enjoy my second fav hobby, reading.
    good luck, hope you can solve yours before it gets too bad.

Proudly Creating for
    Ginger Scraps CT - Connie Prince - Luv Ewe - Little Rad Trio
    Amy Martin - Lynne-Marie - Sas Designs
    Guesting for Kaye Winiecki

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you will be able to step back for a few days. I hope that it fully does the trick, and things can get back to mostly normal after. After a wrist flare-up, I limit my time on the computer to 1/4-1/2 of what it had been, and after a week, I can gradually increase my time again.

Post Thanks / Like

after my pregnancy with my girls (having gained 75 pounds and extreme swelling) i developed what the doctor called "mother's wrist". basically inflamed tissues and from picking babies up in and out of crib, etc. so not exactly carpal tunnel, but i experience similar symptoms...pain and tingling. mine is not severe enough for surgery though. however, a friend of mine had her carpal tunnel done in january (i took her). it was out-patient. and she is doing just fine. she struggled with the weakness for several weeks, but she isn't on the computer all the time like we are either. so i don't think it bothered her like it would us. maybe ask doctor about anti-inflammatories first before surgery? or try high-dose motrin at home?

Post Thanks / Like

The advice about keeping your wrist straight is really good and really important. I have an ergonomically correct keyboard that forces me to hold my wrist straight (in line with my hand). I also have a mouse pad that is ergonomically correct, too. It has a gel roll right at the base where my wrist lays in relation to the mouse. You could probably duplicate this with a rolled hand towel. You can also purchase a wrist brace that will align your wrist and hold it straight while you're at the computer. You might try putting a heating pad and then ice on your wrist joint to relieve the pain. Hope you're on the mend soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I had pregnancy carpel tunnel as well. Didn't actually hit till after Rebekah was born but it was only about a couple weeks after she was born that I got help for it. I couldn't even dress her it was so bad. I almost dropped her a couple times too. I broke down and cried in the OB's office when I went to get my staples out. Then I cried more because I was crying in front of the Dr. lol.
    They sent me to physical therapy. It was actually more like spa treatments lol. I got to do a paraffin dip each time, some hand exercises, a hand massage and a few other things that were totally awesome. She made me special braces to wear and I got special compression gloves too. I think I did once a week treatments for about 6 weeks or so before I was better.
    My husband has a co worker who has it really bad he has tried everything, even acupuncture and nothing really helped. The acupuncture helped the best but it wasn't 100%. He ended up getting surgery for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12