Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Pain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back Pain

I have never been one to suffer much back pain. But this morning I woke up and can barely function. The pain between my shoulder blades and along my "belt line" is so severe, I feel nauseous. I've taken Alleve and it hasn't helped at all.

Should I ice it? Heat it? Kaden has a T-Ball game tonight and there is no way I can survive in my current state! Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Back Pain

I have a slipped disc in my back that requires surgery. Have had the pain since I was 14. Nothing helped me, not even codeine--the only thing that relieved my pain was and still is taking 4 ibuprofen tablets. Motrin or store brand doesn't matter, but my doctor way back then suggested it after a trip to the ER and a MRI determined surgery was necessary.

For whatever reason the ibuprofen just rushes to the pain site and relives it pretty quickly. Not bad, considering the pain I have when the disc flares up in the most severe pain I've had in my life. I can't stand, I can't sit, I can't ever lie down without being in terrible pain.

Aleve has naproxen sodium, which just doesn't cut it for me, it has to be ibuprofen.

Hope you find something to help relive your pain ASAP; back pain is terrible. Good luck! *hug*

Post Thanks / Like

I have neven been able to figure out when to ice and when to heat. I just know that my chiropractor talks about ice bags everytime my back makes trouble 10 - 12 minutes ice and then double the time to "unfreeze" afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

You should rotate ice & heat (according to my chiropractor)... Ibuprofen helps with any kind of swelling or inflammation... (at least for me...)

Post Thanks / Like

with all of my back issues, my doctor and chiro and recommends high dose motrin (4 i think 200-somthing mg) 4-6 hours a day as needed. and also, moist heat. you can find them at walgreens...it's like a heating pad, but you put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it really does wonders. good luck!

Sarah is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

It can also be a sign of kidney stones. My sil gets pain there when she had one before she had her transplant (semi-related but not wholly)

prettyingreen is offline *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    It can also be a sign of kidney stones. My sil gets pain there when she had one before she had her transplant (semi-related but not wholly)
    oh yeah make sure its not a kidneystone, my MIL is still working on passing her huge one, she had painsand knew it could be a kidney stone, but since the doctors didnt sayanything the stone kept growing, finally one dr saw it on some paperwork and and was like wth! and ordered her to the hospitalimmediately, he couldnt believe she was walking around with a stonethat size... this was discovered the day after Easter and she's hadit blasted twice now.... scares me

trina513 is offline *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Lead GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

I have a horrible back - so UGH! I can relate! This pregnancy hasnt been easy already - and I'm only 23 weeks - wait another 10 and I'm afraid!

I've always heard no heat for at least 48 hours - if its an injury - there is swelling and heat will only irritate it more.

Never heard of the kidney stone thing - but it makes sense - I hope it goes away quickly no matter what the cause!! **HUGS**
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm so sorry, back pain is so incredibly horrible. I had a ruptured disc last year (had emergency surgery on August 31st), and will agree that back pain is the most painful thing I've ever felt in all my life (and will be totally fine if I never have to feel anything like that ever again!)

I'll second the 4 Ibuprofen pills, that's what my chiropractor has always recommended, and the only real pain med that did any good when my back was acting up. He always said to avoid heat because it can irritate the swelling and stall the process of healing, but certainly encouraged an ice pack 10 minutes an hour. I've never tried the moist heat that Rebecca recommended, but I've heard others sing its praise before.

10. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

(((Hope you feel better soon Tricia)))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast