Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default History Ideas???

OK- so I'm looking at doing something for my daughter (who would be 5th grade next year) that I did as a 5th grader, and I was hoping to have some ideas bounced off here too! It was a book of states. I still have it, it's just packed up in a book about 2 hours from me! Here is what I remember.

Each page:
    Title- State
    Picture of State
    Date of Statehood
    Capital City
    State Bird (picture?)
    State Tree
    State Flower
    State Flag (picture)
    State Nickname

Anyway. I know I can go to target or walmart to get a book that probably has all of this stuff in it, plus games, but I don't think it would mean as much to her to just do a coloring book page. (Maybe it's just better and easier to do anyway and I should just forget trying to do this.)

Also, any ideas that your school has done that you are like totally amazed at for history stuff would be awesome too! I remember doing a who's who in history in 7th grade, and I may be doing that this upcoming year as well.

Thanks so much ladies! I'm sure that there probably is just a website that has print off pages, but I can't find any free ones! I would be willing to pay a few $$ for stuff, but not the $20-$30/ year subscriptions that most are. (Unless it is COMPLETELY AWESOME and you tell me that I just HAVE to have it!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: History Ideas???

Sarah, are you looking to make a book? I think it is a great idea ... !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JillW View Post
    Sarah, are you looking to make a book? I think it is a great idea ... !
    Yeah. I just don't want to put the time and effort into it if it's not something that my kids would treasure, though. For me, those 2 history projects were like the ONLY things (besides yearbooks of course) that I kept from my school years. But with technology advancing so fast, I'm just worried that it will get tossed and not loved like mine was. I guess I'll just need to ask the kids what they really think about it. I did buy a States book today, so I'm thinking that might help as well. Also, there are other moms out there that I'm hoping might join in and help teach some of the states.

On a side note, though, I cannot get this thought out of my head. It has been haunting me for the last 3 weeks or so. So I think that if I don't follow through on it, I'm going to continue to be haunted! I just wish I could find a printout online of EXACTLY what I want! But I guess I just ran out of search terms and time!

Post Thanks / Like

Sara, if you've been thinking about it, then do it! Who knows what kids will treasure? I threw out all that history stuff cuz I didn't care about it, but I did keep a drawing I made in Kindy lol. (Just found it yesterday, actually!) I also saved some poems I had published that I'd written for my 8th grade English class. But that's about it. Have you thought about making the book digitally? You could use your stash and it could be saved digitally, which is the way everything is going these days! I mean, you could print out the book or maybe just a fave page or two to hang to frame on the wall. (Like, your state or where they were born--if that's different.) And if you look up each individual state (instead of looking up "State facts"), each state's tourism board and/or state government page will have all that info you want. And some states have "state food" or "state desserts" (on a semi-related note: did anyone watch The View today???)

And as far as what I did in school: In fifth grade, we made a family tree based on our family heritage. So, since I'm Dutch, instead of a "tree," I made windmills with each family member's name on the mill and info on the blades. I had fun doing that project cuz my mom and dad told me about their families growing up and I got to talk to my grandparents about their families, too. My mom doesn't save stuff, so that went in the trash rotfl, but I wouldn't have saved it anyway. But I loved the project!
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

5. Likes Terra, photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Our son really really liked learning about the presidents when he was younger. My mom made him a few books with articles, etc she found about the presidents - and at some point, she put together a list for him of each president, his wife's name, date of birth and when he served ... Jacob didn't remain interested in them forever - but I just found the books and listing a few months ago and showed him - he was so happy to have it ----- so ----- like Sara said ... I say go for it!! :-)

7. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought ~ what if you just got a blank scrapbook / sketchbook. Something with at least 25 pages (50 front and back) that has good durable paper. Then have your child(ren) fill up each page for a state. They can add in drawings, post cards, maps, pictures or just write out facts. When they get done, they'll have a book full of the relevant stuff to THEM (the state bird/tree/flower is only relevant if they like that stuff ~ but jotting down that their favorite author comes from a certain state or an interesting history fact, what ever it is that interests them about the state). You can also join post card groups that will send your children post cards from various states (and even other countries!).

Do you homeschool or are you just looking for something additional for your child to do? There are a LOT of homeschooling resources available for this.

Post Thanks / Like

My 8th grade history project was SO fun and I still have it! Let me dig around and find it and I'll get back to you. ;)

10. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
    Do you homeschool or are you just looking for something additional for your child to do? There are a LOT of homeschooling resources available for this.
    I do homeschool. I am on a yahoo group for my area, but I haven't seen anyone do anything like this. Do you homeschool as well? I would love to be pointed in the right direction for resources!

Post Thanks / Like

Sara,

My cousins home school. In fact, one of them just had one of hers graduate from college with honors! I'll ask her what sort of ideas she might have for history projects and will get back to you!

13. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That would be awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast