Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

It took a long time to figure out how our credit card number was stolen. Almost a year after it happened, we got a letter from an online store thst DH buys bike equipment from. They said that someone had hacked onto their system and was getting their customers information.
    So now we use virtual online numbers through Citibank. It's like a one use number, so if someone tries to use it again, it won't work and a red flag goes up. I love it!

2. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What a nightmare barb! Glad your on top of it and getting it sorted out!!

Just a month ago I got a letter from the State of California Child Support Services.... Someone have broken into the main offices and stolen harddrives with ALL the info. Social security numbers, addresses, bank account info. I'm kinda holding my breath wondering what exactly I should do about it.

But wow, that thief has thousands of peoples info!

This thread is making me remember, I need to look into it more. I just got the letter and read it ..... And thought wow that's crazy, but then I never looked further into it.

4. Dislikes photom disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fraudulent Charges

We have Identify Theft protection as part of our insurance. They'll cover all of the investigations and do it all for us.
    SO worth the $10 extra a month on our car insurance bill (we have renters, 2 cars, & my life insurance on it, so it's not just car, )

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago my mom's best friend used her debit card at walmart and this lady spent like $600 on her card. Come to find out it was the cashier at walmart of all things! She somehow got the numbers off the card and ordered things online.

I tend to check my accounts a lot -- mainly because hubs works out of town too much and i have to keep up with what he's spending. I have my bank account set up where it sends me emails if I have a purchase of X amount and when they update our cards , I always ask them to send new numbers on them. I would change your passwords and update your security questions to all your online accounts for bills and credit cards just to be safe! Maybe, the police can still figure out who do it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the support everyone.

I guess the thing I find most odd about my Walmart card number being used is that I've only used the card 3 times...and all three were online purchases from home but somehow the information was obtained anyway.

Eh..the frustrating is helping me get caught up on my cleaning. Although I enjoy cleaning, I clean even more when I'm stressed.

This could have been much worse. Now what do to to protect myself going forward. I have the option of fraud protection through my insurance as well, but I think I denied it since I'm always careful with trash.

Gotta go work on my ADSR LO :-)

prettyingreen is online now *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

our debet card info were stole afew months ago, a good friend of ours works in the credit union so we were able to get a little bit more info on it... we have a $500 spending limit on the card daily so someone in TX was trying to spend a bunch of money at Target, the back called us and we were like ah no we weren't in TX, so they refunded our money and sent DH his new card, then a month after that the had to send both of us new cards, i guess Subway was hacked for like 7 years these people were getting card info.

Post Thanks / Like

I know my debit card has something like that because when my husband went to purchase 2 laptops at the same time they couldn't get the sale to go through. I had to call the bank and ask them to lift the limit temporarily. Both my husband and I have both had our debit cards replaced in the past year due to potential fraud/fraud detected on the cards. It was before the sale went through so we didn't have to go through refunds and all that. For mine, they left my account open, but they were "watching" it for odd purchases while they sent me a replacement card, but for my husbands they called and they said they know for certain the number was stolen so can we close it now? Of course we said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by prettyingreen View Post
    our debet card info were stole afew months ago, a good friend of ours works in the credit union so we were able to get a little bit more info on it... we have a $500 spending limit on the card daily so someone in TX was trying to spend a bunch of money at Target, the back called us and we were like ah no we weren't in TX, so they refunded our money and sent DH his new card, then a month after that the had to send both of us new cards, i guess Subway was hacked for like 7 years these people were getting card info.

Post Thanks / Like

wow crazy stories from everyone! my husband's debit card got skimmed but the bank cancelled it before any money was taken out. We couldn't figure out why his wasn't working but mine was!

Post Thanks / Like

My credit card got lifted somehow and used in switzerland! Of course I got a call and everything was cancelled and reversed. It's so crappy that we work so hard and some lazy piece of crap goes and tries to steal it.
    So glad everything was cancelled and I hope that idiot goes and tries to pick it up.

GINGER: They have fraud protection services that they can attach to yours and the kids social security numbers, that flags any activity and they call you and have to approve it before it goes though. My work computers were hacked a couple years ago and they set this up for every employee. It worked nicely, I don't remember exactly what the name was tho.

12. Likes nutsaboutgabe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

oh no Barb! that totally stinks. My debit card number was stolen off of the merchant's copy of the receipt at the ZOO! They took the number, waited a few months to make a new card with it and used it in NJ. Thankfully our bank caught it after 2 uses. They were the ones who realized everyone's cards had been previously used at the zoo.
    now I make sure I carry cash with me at all times. my zoo souvenir cup cost us $700 and lots of headaches! (the money was replaced, at least.) and we had to file a police report in order to get our money back, but i would have anyway.
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast