Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fraudulent Charges

That's crazy! I always hesitate to send checks in the mail. Let's face it, there is way too much info on a check for a thief!

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom Scraps View Post
    ergh! this is so frustrating!
    back in september, i sent a $35 check through the mail to pay a bill. long story short, someone had intercepted the check, and turned it into a check for $1,486!!!!!!! i had all the proof i needed to get the money back, but it took a few weeks, but i was so pissed that the bank cashed the damn thing in the first place! credit cards are even more common than check fraud, so i hope you get it sorted quickly! UGH!

Post Thanks / Like

It's so scary how anyone out there can be trying to scam us! Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by chigirl View Post
    you should call the credit card and cancel the charge...they can flag it or something, then they won't be able to pick up the order. this happened to me recently, i use AMEX and they called me about a fraud charge made in Australia of all places...like that would not show up on my account since I live in the the good 'o USA. I know its' stressful and a hassle but better to get is fixed now with a small charge then let them get away with it today and try for something much bigger tomorrow. good luck, sending positive thoughts your way.

Post Thanks / Like

I will probably call the police (after I shower) to file a report.

Quote Originally Posted by StarWarsFans View Post
    I think you should call the police and see if they can arrest the person who arrives to pick up the laptop. We had this happen a few years ago. It was such a mess getting it all sorted out. We knew something was up when we received a box from PetCo and we didn't have a pet!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that's all so scary! There are some real scum bags out there - I'm glad the order got cancelled and hope you can nail down the dude (or dudette) who stole the info!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes - that is just insane. I am so happy that you caught it in time. I wish they could have been caught though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nutsaboutgabe View Post
    That's crazy! I always hesitate to send checks in the mail. Let's face it, there is way too much info on a check for a thief!
    Its safer to send the check through the mail. It becomes a major federal offense, because it now involves mail tampering, messing with government property (mailboxes are *technically* government property ;))

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, EW. I have a serious hatred for thieves. Like, I'm surprised I'm not a cop, because I adamantly abhor people who feel they have the right to be lazy [self-censored]s and take things that other people worked hard to get.

That being said, I've had my Visa compromised so many times, it doesn't even faze me anymore, it's just annoying with having to fill out paperwork, do faxes, be without my card and wait a week for a new one. It's happened to me three times over the years. The first was the world: the Visa is a debit card tied to my bank, so not only was my entire checking account wiped, my savings account was wiped too and I was knocked into the red. I went to sleep with $500 in checking, $1,500 in savings and woke up to -$200! They wiped $2k overnight at a gas station/grocery store in FL. It was insane, but obvious it wasn't me, so everything was returned fine, just a pain.

You'd be surprised how EASY it is for people to get your info. I'm a freak about using ONLY indoor ATMs and I will shake and yank the thing where you slide your card to make sure there's not a card scanner attachment some thief put over it.

I'm really glad you were able to nip everything in the bud before the thief got the laptop. Argh, thieves!

Post Thanks / Like

eek.. what a way to start the weekend. My DH is really protective about our information and I'm a little more relaxed about it. I wonder if when you called the store manager they flagged the order?

Post Thanks / Like

This is so scary and upsetting. I hope they catch the thief before anything else gets charged to the account.
    We had a master card info stolen in Florida some years ago. They ran up over $1000 in charges in a very short time. Master Card reversed all of the charges, and issued a new card. They had ordered a bunch of computer related supplies via telephone or over the internet where signatures are not required. We think they either got the info needed from the car rental agency where we had rented a car, or at the hotel we stayed in.

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes!
    Call and cancel your card right away. Good luck.
    m
    Michelle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast