Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: History Ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by photom View Post
    I do homeschool. I am on a yahoo group for my area, but I haven't seen anyone do anything like this. Do you homeschool as well? I would love to be pointed in the right direction for resources!
    I do homeschool as well. I will go through my resources in the next couple days and send you a PM. But if you want to join a group of ladies that have incredible ideas ~ head on over to homeschoolshare.com ~ and you can join the forum as well. HSS has free unit & literature studies & printables created by other homeschool moms. And the ladies in the forum are AWESOME. Search around there. Many of them are using lapbooks or notebooks in their schooling and can help point you in the right direction to create a state notebook.

The books listed on HSS would also be a great starting point for learning about the different states. I believe there is a list based on geography. And they don't recommend bad books, so you can know that the books are all GOOD. Oh, and did I mention that it's all free?

When I get a chance tomorrow or Monday, I'll take a look through my bookmarks & resources to see what I can find for you.

2. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good! Thanks for that link! I did have 2 ladies tell me of things that they have used which I may end up buying. But if I can find something free that is just as good- bring it on! Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not having any luck finding my project. I think it must still be at my parents' house.

Post Thanks / Like

This has nothing to do with a state book, but I bought my son (a 5th grader) a 50 states quarter collection book. He has had fun collecting all of the different quarters from the different states along as he has learned about the different states in school. Good luck! I remember doing something similar in 4th grade when we learned about Utah State History. I remember doing a page for each county, coloring the county along with filling out info for each one.

6. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MommyScrapper View Post
    I remember doing something similar in 4th grade when we learned about Utah State History. I remember doing a page for each county, coloring the county along with filling out info for each one.
    You must be close to me, then! I didn't grow up learing UT state history, cuz I didn't live in UT then! But I do now! Basically, the county thing sounds so much like my state part. I'll have to look into doing a book just for UT as well! Maybe it will just be a scrapbook of the places that we visit???? Great idea- thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and by the way- I did find an AWESOME source for this project! It's only $18 and it has 136 lessons! Which means it's so much more in depth than what I planned! Thanks so much for all the awesome ideas! I can't wait to add them in future years!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sara!

My cousin is still looking for her projects (she's sort of busy ... oldest daughter just graduated from college and is getting married a month from today), but she did give me this website (you may already know about it since you home school):

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/

She said to google Geography Matters and you'll find the site.

Anyhoo ... the books she used were "Trail Guide to Geography" and "Trail Guide to US History".

I don't know if that's the least bit helpful! She's so willing to share homeschooling information and she is a terrific resource. She was even willing to meet up with you to go over her teacher's guide! I am going to have to explain to her that you and I only know each other "virtually" and meeting up is not a likely scenario. I sure thought it was sweet of her to offer, though!

If she gives me anything else that might help you ... I'll pass it along!

10. Thanks photom thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! I will definitely keep this site in mind. My friend and I are looking into a coop with the other site that I found, which makes it only $15 for each of us. But this definitely looks more in depth than that one. My kids look a little young for it still, but I really do like the look of these helpers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12