Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Is there a Pediatrician in the house???

My son has terrible allergies and has small breakouts often, but this is starting to worry me. Does it look like an allergy or excema or something else??? Ive tried using Benedryl anti-itch cream, athletes foot cream, and A & D ointment. Our insurance went up, and we are saving for our vacation in 2 weeks, I just wanted to get an opinion before I spend the money for my Pedi to tell me it's allergies!!!

Lightly raised to touch, and kinda scaly. Sorry if it's huge, posting from my phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a Pediatrician in the house???

That's scary looking. Hope you get it figured out soon! Sorry I'm no help.

Post Thanks / Like

looks exactly like my daughter's eczema and it needs to be treated with a cortisone cream or ointment. I used hydrocortisone 1% ointment (over the counter) for quite a while and it helped a bit, but the doctor gave her a stronger steroid cream and it works much better and faster (triamcinolone 0.1% cream). We also try to keep her as dairy free as possible, it seems to be a direct cause for her eczema flares. the most common spots for eczema are backs of the thighs and knees, crook of the elbow and wrists. it can be anywhere, but those are the places it often appears first. try hydrocortisone for a few days and see what happens.
    oh, and I'm not a pediatrician, but I'm a pharmacist, so I "diagnose" weird rash stuff all the time LOL

4. Thanks MSPeeler thanked for this post
    Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

oh, and depending on how old your son is, you can give him some Benadryl liquid to help with the itch at nighttime. My daughter would scratch herself bloody in her sleep, and the Benadryl liquid really helped at bedtime.

6. Likes MSPeeler liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

triamcinolone cream is da bomb

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I have hydrocortisone 1% cream, I'll try that. I also have Mupirocin 2% from his staph infection a few months ago... Would that work? I think I will call and ask if my pediatrician will call in the othe mentioned above for me without coming in. OH and I used the Benedryl Anti itch Gel tonight and he wasn't itching it tonight

Post Thanks / Like

And I will seriously cry if he has to cut out dairy!!!! This kid lives on cereal with milk and yogurt!!

Post Thanks / Like

no the mupirocin won't do much, stick with the HC cream, and you can put it on like 3 or 4 times a day for a while. it was really hard for us at first with the dairy, and thank goodness it isn't a serious allergy like hives or anaphylaxis, but it has helped her so much that we stick to it when we can. any time we go a few days of her having dairy it flares up and really bothers her. my littlest one was starting with the same symptoms that she had at that age so we made him dairy free too and so far he hasn't developed the eczema like she did. once you get in the groove of no dairy, it isn't too bad. but think about having him tested for allergies, it might not be dairy but something might be causing it chronically. you might even want to consider putting him on a daily dose of Claritin or Zyrtec liquid if he's over two years old, it will really help the allergies and won't cause drowsiness

Post Thanks / Like

Also, being that these kind of flairs and raised exzema bumps often occur in areas that are warm and moist like the knees, crook of the elbows etc. it can help to have them bare and well aired.
    Hopefully the hydrocotisone is helping.

Post Thanks / Like

it could be heat rash too. My girls use to get it all the time, their dr. would have my mix hrdocortizon with some other cream that was a steriod and it worked wonders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast