Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A friendly after iNSD reminder

Yowsah, that's a lot less than I was expecting!

I tried Mozy, but it made my computer slooooow. So now I just use multiple EHDs. One of them is "almost" full (has about 60GB left). I can't wait to buy a new one. Yup, I'm a dork rotfl!
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

2. Likes Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I backed up my EHD to another EHD - it took more than 3 hours! And that was just my digi stash, no pictures or other documents. But I'm glad it's done.

4. Likes Tree City, Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Sara and Sanne, why didn't I think of a backup EHD before?! Right now I use my EHD really as just more space for all my scrapping stuff since it eventually filled my comp and slugged it down super slow. Now I'm worried about if IT ever crashes. Duh: get another EHD! You ladies are so smart.

6. Likes Tree City liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I have 4 EHDs The first two are just too small to contain my entire digi stash. I'm considering moving my zipfiles from the new EHDs to the old EHDs in order to make room for more stuff (and have a better chance at recovery if anything crashes) but that's still in the making.

Post Thanks / Like

Christina, I didn't have even one EHD until after I spilled a full glass of water onto my laptop and fried the HD. I bought an EHD and then thought to myself, "But what if something happens to this thing?! I need another EHD!" lol

Sanne, you save the ZIP files even after you've "unzipped" and moved everything where you want it? I don't do that. Can I ask why you do?
    Pinterest Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
    Christina, I didn't have even one EHD until after I spilled a full glass of water onto my laptop and fried the HD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambelleina View Post
    yup, that was my face exactly lol! But actually, DH found a case and was able to recover almost everything, so I shouldn't say "fried"... I should say "cooked for a year" cuz that's how long it took to find the case. So I figured everything--including pics of DD from birth through her first Christmas--was gone.
    So now I have everything on my 2 EHDs and important stuff my 1TB desktop.
    Pinterest Twitter

11. Likes Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
    Christina, I didn't have even one EHD until after I spilled a full glass of water onto my laptop and fried the HD. I bought an EHD and then thought to myself, "But what if something happens to this thing?! I need another EHD!" lol

Sanne, you save the ZIP files even after you've "unzipped" and moved everything where you want it? I don't do that. Can I ask why you do?
    I guess the shortest answer is that I'm too scared to delete them

On a more rational note I keep them in case I delete/overwrite something by mistake or if a file is corrupted/not working. That way I can find the zipfiles and unzippe the kit again instead of having to rebuy (or get tantrums because the kit has retired).

I have considered backing up just my zip files because they might take up less space. It'll be a pain having to unzip everything in case my EHD with the unzipped files crashes but at least I have the stuff and it'll be longer between new EHD investments Not sure what effects this will have on my ACDSee tagging though. Obviously I will have to back up my database too but do I have to unzip everything to the exact same folders as before the crash and change database binding? Or will it be okay to just unzip things and then change binding?! I love using ACDSee but sometimes it's just too complex for my brain to understand.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm. IDK about ACDSee. TBH, I didn't really like the program so I stopped using it. But I've heard that if you move things then you lose your tags. So yes, I think you'd have to redo everything but I could be wrong.
    And I understand why you save the zips, but OMG that is a lot of stuff to save! You must spend lots of time backing up everything. I'd get confused and either back up the ZIPs twice but not the "unzipped" stuff or vice versa lol.
    Pinterest Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

When I back up I use the "right click, send to" function. That way I can easily choose which folders to transfer/back up e.g. my 'digiscrap' folder or my 'zip' folder which is a subfolder of my 'digiscrap' folder.

I don't have the patience to do 3-hours back up on a regular basis. A couple of times a year, mostly after large purchases, that's what I do right now. And sometimes when my EHD sounds or acts weird

That's the tricky thing about ACDSee. You can recover your tagging if you've moved things around outside of ACDSee but then there's something about orphange folders that needs to be rebound or something. I've only tried it once and it took me six months of searching for a solution before I gave in and requested help from ACDSees support service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12