Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selective Mutism

This is so sad. I don't have advise to offer, but I do have so much compassion for you. We definitely haven't had to deal with this in my family--none of us can ever seem to shut up, ha! But when my depression starts to take over me, I do "shut down." I stop talking, I start staring off into space and no matter what happens, I just can't seem to open my mouth. My brain will be reeling, chattering out sentences and paragraphs, but they won't go to my tongue. When I was in the hospital, the psychiatrists said it was a normal way for some to deal with depression, but in real life, it frustrates and angers people when I just stop talking. I was heavily bullied as a child and would spend recess and lunchtime sitting in the bathroom silently, trying to hold my breath so no one heard me in there. I actually did that up to high school, spending lunch in the bathroom because people were so mean to me. It's so difficult to read a child when they shut down. I really wish you the best of luck and I hope your little guy starts feeling better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. I am so sorry. I would say since he has done a full turn around in a year- to definitely have it checked out. I'm not sure what the difference between a school counselor and other counselors, but I think you may need to have him go to a counselor outside of the school. That way, I think he may be more comfortable talking about what the real change in school is..... Something about "tattling" to a counselor that works there about a bully or even the teacher is something that I just don't see a 6 or 7 year old doing. Although counselors say they will keep it quiet, your son sounds like he is having trust issues- hence the whispering to friends and family.

As a homeschooling mom, though, I would have to agree with Laura Marie as for the pulling him out and working with him at home. Maybe not for the rest of this year, but for his 2nd grade year. It is AMAZING what a few years in the loving home environment can do. He obviously trusts you, and that's why he did order the pizza on his own. He just NEEDS that loving one on one attention right now. Obviously if you let his academics get behind, then he might regress more, BUT more importantly is him being able to feel comfortable and loved.

Good luck..... It is not an easy road........but just make sure to pray and ask for guidance, and it WILL be given unto you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambelleina View Post
    This is so sad. I don't have advise to offer, but I do have so much compassion for you. We definitely haven't had to deal with this in my family--none of us can ever seem to shut up, ha! But when my depression starts to take over me, I do "shut down." I stop talking, I start staring off into space and no matter what happens, I just can't seem to open my mouth. My brain will be reeling, chattering out sentences and paragraphs, but they won't go to my tongue. When I was in the hospital, the psychiatrists said it was a normal way for some to deal with depression, but in real life, it frustrates and angers people when I just stop talking. I was heavily bullied as a child and would spend recess and lunchtime sitting in the bathroom silently, trying to hold my breath so no one heard me in there. I actually did that up to high school, spending lunch in the bathroom because people were so mean to me. It's so difficult to read a child when they shut down. I really wish you the best of luck and I hope your little guy starts feeling better soon.
    Oh Christina..... I am so saddened about this. I wish I had some sort of advice or even comforting words, but no amount of eloquence can repair damage done in years past. I'm so glad that you have been able to get some help, and you seem to be slowly coming out of your comfort zone. You really do have a lot to offer this world, as we all do, we just need to realize where we best can help and follow through.

4. Thanks Ambelleina thanked for this post
    Likes Ambelleina liked this post
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdjrneace View Post
    I would really speak with the school about the boy(s) that did the bullying and see if possible to get your son in a different classroom or the other boy. Some children are leaders and others are followers; it may be that the bullying boys told her son that if he talks they might do something to him so your son is taking their threat literally.

I believe the best for everyone is probably some type of counseling specializing in children to determine if the bullying went past bullying to abuse which could be the result of the change in your child.
    Ditto.
    I've taught children with selective mutism during my teaching career. Their can be a variety of reasons it occurs.
    I would strongly suggest meeting with the administration prior to the end of the school and suggest careful placement for your son for next year. They would need to consider the teacher, as well as the combination of the children in the class. He needs the nuturing in the classroom. Hopefully the summer break will will be a healing one.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I called today and the earliest appointment with his pediatrician I can get is June 15, but we are on the cancellation list. This is a new pediatrician so that makes it hard, but his records are transferred over. My son has seen this doc as we went for a physical for scouts for my older son, the doctor was trying to initiate conversation with my younger son to no avail. Hopefully he can make some suggestions and then make a possible referral to a counselor or psychiatrist/therapist. With my crazy insurance I need referrals otherwise I will have to pay out of pocket, I learned that the hard way a few months ago, by bringing my boys to their old clinic.

There is a little over 4 weeks left of school, the bullies are still in his class, but they are seated no where near him. Although when the kids go outside for recess, that is when they seem to be like a magnet to my son. I can't really expect the recess monitors to try to keep certain kids apart, but I will do what I can. The teacher said she would keep an eye on the bullies and keep them apart as much as she can.

I used to work at the school up until December right up until the holiday break. Lots of folks were thinking it was because I stopped working there he regressed, but he was already showing signs of extreme shyness before that, the teacher seemed concerned just 3 weeks into school because she thought he was in almost a fog, seemed very preoccupied and would just stare into space and not get things done, which was quite the opposite from last year. I was subbing in the lunchroom as a monitor on Friday when the teacher stopped and talked to me. The school has asked if I will sub a few more times on Fridays (my day off) and I think I just might just to keep an eye on him! He really seemed like he cared less that I worked there when I did. I work at different school Monday through Thursday and have Fridays off usually. I usually go eat lunch when I can with him and he is completely silent and doesn't talk to me or his friends at lunch. I was going to go to lunch with him this Friday as well. The class has assigned seats and the teacher has seated my son around all girls, I think he likes that, but still he sits ever so quiet with an occassional lean in to whisper something to his friend (a girl) to the left of him. He can never just say anything out loud without shielding his voice when out in public. He is home right now and I hear him non stop talking to his brother in his room, no hesitation at all, but the minute we step outside of the house, it is a completely different story.

Post Thanks / Like

so this has not gotten any better, I've tried to encourage Morgan to talk more in school and share during circle time. i talked with his teacher and she said she can see he is trying but it is so darn hard for him. He will only talk at home. We saw a very close relative at a restaurant and he refused to talk to her, wouldn't even look at her and he has known her since the day he was born. We have our appointment this Thursday at the Mental Health Center, just in time too since my son freaked me out the other day telling me that he believes in Angels and sometimes sees them! ??? hmmm....

I have very few hours of free time during the week for this entire month (lots of end of school year activities/scouts stuff). I am going to try to play catch up when I can and upload the rest of my CT pages. I can't wait until school is out, less than a month away. I think I am more nervous for my sons appointment then he is, but he probably won't even talk to them. I need to do some relaxation techniques, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Angels are not a bad thing to believe in.

He may have an emotional disorder that makes it hard for him to talk to people outside his home. Or maybe that is just the personality he is developing! I actually find it easier to talk to strangers than I do my own family and people I know well. I do have a couple mental issues and one of them greatly effects my ability to talk when I am upset or bothered. I am usually a very talkative person, but when something is 'wrong,' I just shut down and it's like I can't open my mouth, even though my mind is reeling.

Hopefully he will feel comfortable with the psychologist/counselor and be able to talk some. Much love to you!

9. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. Kids are hard enough, but having something like this to worry about, is really hard to get past.

Post Thanks / Like

still thinking about your son. hope you are all coping ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msbrad View Post
    Ditto.
    I've taught children with selective mutism during my teaching career. Their can be a variety of reasons it occurs.
    I would strongly suggest meeting with the administration prior to the end of the school and suggest careful placement for your son for next year. They would need to consider the teacher, as well as the combination of the children in the class. He needs the nuturing in the classroom. Hopefully the summer break will will be a healing one.
    m
    Yes, I most certainly plan to do that... Our current principal is leaving (retiring) after this year and it is uncertain who and when our new replacement principal will be, but I plan on having that convo with his current teacher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast