Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need some words of wisdom

I agree with Sanne's Point #2.
    I had some issues with Madison and getting in trouble, and I sat her down, we talked, and we worked out a way of spending more time together, just me and her. She apparently missed that, and she didn't know how to express it, so she bottled it up and her release valve happened to be at school.

Things with her aren't perfect now (she's still getting in trouble for piddly things like talking too much, but that's expected with her genetics).

So yeah, sit down with her, just you and her (or Daddy and her, if he's been working/out of town a lot). Talk. Listen.

Post Thanks / Like

I think all of the suggestions are good ones... I definitely think if it continues you should try therapy (both individual and family)... Sometimes talking to a stranger is "safer" than talking to "your mom"... I mention family counseling because it's also important that she realizes the toll her behavior is taking on your family as a whole.

As far as the root cause... Honestly it could be anything... But something is obviously going on. Kids don't have dramatic personality changes overnight for no reason. It could be something horrible like being molested, or a behavior disorder... or it could be something as simple as needing more positive attention and one on one time... There's really no way to tell until you exhaust all your options.

I will say that I began to act out inappropriately after some traumatic events happened in my life. I think I would have had a much happier childhood had someone taken the time to really find out what was going on and allowed me to go to therapy. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trina513 View Post
    Rachel seriously - hormones at 6?!? EEEEEEEEEEEK!
    this is just too insane to even think could possible happen. i have heard of 9-10 yrs old, but 6???? that's nuts!!! i hope for sake kimmy, that is NOT what is going on.

honestly, my FIRST thought when i read your opening post was that maybe SHE was the one being bullied and that maybe she was retaliating because of that? i hope you will get it figured out. my girls just turned 7, and man, they are a handful! i joke about them being 7 going on 17! but it's really not funny. it's a tough age, i get that, but as a parent, not knowing why your kid does or acts a certain way, can be very taxing.
    good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely appreciate all the feedback. We are working thru it. Had a few good days. I think the teacher may have overreacted a bit and made it seem much worse than it really is. I am concerned that she is being bullied but the teacher says she isn't when she's around. Of course the teacher isn't around on the playground... I just need to show her how much she is loved and we are working on spending more "quality" time with her. It's hard to give her 1on1 time because I have a 4 year old that will feel really left out. Daddy works until 9 most nights so most of the time it's me and the girls. But we will work thru this. Mostly, I want to thank everyone for listening.

5. Thanks Sniksnak thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry I wasn't here earlier. We have had to restrict playdates with a few cousins because it has rubbed off on my kids. One thing that has helped my DD is giving her a "special" responsibility. She has always wanted to help cook- even at 2. With a little copycat in the house, though, we didn't allow her to be able to cook until she was 8. (And now copycat is 8 as well- so I guess I'll have to figure out something for that!) She know cooks at least 1 dinner meal each week and most of the time does a lunch or two as well. I think her being able to have that "special" learning time and then being able to feel big has really helped her get through some of her icky times. Good luck. I really hope that it all settles down soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12