Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some words of wisdom

Okay, so all my friends who are mom's of a 6 almost 7 year old... Tori has been having a rough few weeks at school. Not listening to the teacher has been the main problem. However, EVERY day this week she's been exhibiting some "mean behaviors" at school and making other little girls cry, on purpose.. She won't talk to me about it. She won't tell me what's bother her or making her act this way. Anybody who knows Tori, knows she is not normally like this. She normally is the little girl who plays with everyone and includes everyone in everything she does. I'm at a loss. Her teacher, who is wonderful, is also at a loss.

We've tried taking things away. We've restricted activities. We've cancelled play dates. Eliminated TV and the Wii.. Tried rationalizing it with her. Tried to get her to open up. Tried to see if someone is bullying her and she's just copying the behavior. None of these seem to be the answer. Her teacher says that Tori seems to actually enjoy the negative attention... I'm saddened by this and it's breaking my heart that I don't know what to do to help her.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need some words of wisdom

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this with Tori. Has there been any change in her daily routine, your routine, her dad's routine? Any changes at all?

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a plea for attention. I would try some one on one time with lots of physical touch and holding. If all else fails, I would seek a family counselor. There has to be an underlying issue here that needs to be discovered.

I don't say this to scare you, but my brother started acting this way around age 9 and it only got worse, eventually landing him in jail. He didn't admit until a couple of years ago that he was molested by a friend of mine. I often wonder how different things had been if he had gotten help from a therapist early on.

{HUG} I really hope it's something simple and can be resolved at home. It's tough when things change like this and you don't know why.

4. Thanks kimmyscraps thanked for this post
    prettyingreen is online now *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

i'm sorry kimmy, i'm not sure i could say anything to help i'm notquite there, maybe her hormones are changing, i've known of somegirls to start their periods at 6. i'll keep you in my thoughts as you get this figured out, let me know if you need anything

6. Dislikes trina513 disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

my gosh Kimmy, I have no words of wisdom, I'd be at a total loss if my little lovely started acting that way too! I only recommend lots of talking and one on one time to see if you can discover the root of it. And maybe try to point out examples of how she feels if/when someone says mean things to her. Good luck hun, parenting is such a hard job! *hugs*

8. Thanks kimmyscraps thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No change in routine.. The only thing that I can think of is on Spring Break we traveled to my mom's (7 hours away).. My sister and her daughter were there. My niece is 4 1/2 like my youngest but is a BRAT.. Very sassy, curses, doesn't listen to anyone at all. At one point she called me a stupid *itch.. It was not a pleasant visit needless to say. Normally when my girls are around her they act naughty for a few days but get over it. It's going on 3 weeks now.

We did have an ice cream social at the school tonight and I was able to talk to the teacher in a little more detail so I feel a little better but I still just want to cry. One of the little girls Tori was mean to was there and I made her apologize right there. The little girl was so sweet. She said she didn't want Tori to be in trouble any more because she was "over it." Kids.. Still I need to figure out what the root of the issue is so we can prevent it.

We talked about things for a good hour tonight. More me talking and her nodding her head in agreement but I expressed over and over how if anything ever bothers her, its okay to tell me and that I love her very much no matter what. I also explained that there are consequences to her actions so no TV, Wii, leap pad, iphone, computer, playdates or anything "fun" until she turns her behavior around.

We'll see how the rest of the week shapes up...

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. I'm going to say maybe the sassy one rubbed off on her?? My little sister was always a little tempestuous, but generally a good girl. When she was 14, she met a bad little girl who cussed, smoked, always had an attitude with all adults, skipped school and was sexually active ALREADY.

Well, guess what happened? My little sister followed suit. Now she's a high school dropout living somewhere? With some guy? We don't even know. She went from a sweet girl to a terrible person because of that one darned girl. All that had to happen was a bad influence for her to turn into something she never was.

Obviously this other little girl gets away with her behavior and young girls are so suggestible, that may be the cause. Maybe after she misses out on something she REALLY wants (a party? a trip?), she will start to shape up. I really wish you the best of luck. /huuuuuug

11. Thanks kimmyscraps thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can think of two things are might be the cause and I really hope that none of them are the case. Please don't hate me for saying them I just feel I have to so that it doesn't end up as one of those things that could have been prevented.

First thing I can't help thinking of (and probably the most unlikely) is that she might be sick. I've heard of cases where people change personality if they have neurologic diseases.

Second, how much time have you spent with her lately? Maybe all she wants is you to pay attention to her. And not the kind of attention that she gets from doing her home work or brushing her teeth or other very pratical stuff. I'm thinking of the kind of attention you get when you read books together, listen to her talking about all her friends and when she's telling you all her 'secrets' that really isn't important to a grown up but is important to a child. If it's been a while since you last payed her that kind of attention maybe she have gotten the impression that you aren't interested any more or that you don't have time. And if that's the case you can't tell her that she can talk to you about anything. You have to show it to her. There's no quick fix.

I don't know you or your family, Kimmy, so I hope I haven't offended you.

13. Thanks kimmyscraps thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh... my oldest has the biggest chip on her shoulder after my mom or sis & nephews visit. She see's my mom a few times a year and acts out every time my mom leaves. Mainly because my mom doesn't give her that one on one attention. And then with my nephews they are older and have major attitude problems, and she things because she see's them do it and get away with it, that it's okay for her to try it. It always takes me a couple weeks to get her out of it.

I always try reminding them that they can talk to me about anything, and I will listen. Sometimes she won't open up, so my sister gives it a try.

trina513 is offline *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Lead GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

Rachel seriously - hormones at 6?!? EEEEEEEEEEEK!

Sorry Kimmy - no words of wisdom for you - hang in there and hopefully this "phase" pases QUICKLY!!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast