Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's stressing you?

Thanks for the note of encouragement Christina. I have heard similar stories.

I totally think my son will be fine given enough time, but it's frustrating to hear from the teachers (preschool) that they can't understand him sometimes, especially when he is being shy. However, he has improved dramatically and I'm happy to report it's not his vocabulary the speech therapist wants to work on, but rather the annunciation of certain letters. It's odd because it's almost a habit of how he says some words.

He says "mama", but says "nem" and "nem" for M&M's for example. They are the same sounds so he can say it, but doesn't. Two of my favorite words that he says incorrectly are duplicate and favorites. They sound like poop-a-kit and say-bits. So cute now, but maybe not later.

If he can't get speech before K...I'm sure he will be eligible for something once he's in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambelleina View Post
    To the ladies with the children with speech issues: I'm sure they will get better.

When my nephew first started talking until he was maybe 7/8ish, no one could understand him. Not me, not his parents, not anyone. All his words seemed not only lisp-y, but jumbled and choppy. He also had a VERY bad stutter. He ended up going to a speech pathologist for sessions several times a week and after a few years, he was fine. It was a struggle when he was in school during those years, but now he is about to turn 12 and he sounds perfectly fine.

Just give them love and patience and with proper care, they will overcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missdamsel View Post
    Oh, honey, where do I start???

For the first time in 24 years, my husband hates his job! Yes the new job in TN. He hates his job SO much that DAILY I never know if he will come home to tell me he turned in his notice! I will support 100% whatever he decides and KNOW he will make the best choice for us, but talk about scarry!!
    Been there, Missi! I spent almost 2 years watching my hubby hate his job and we were self-employed at the time, which just added more stress to the situation. Everyday, I wondered if this would be the day that he finally snapped, and gave it up. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get him to look past the things that were bothering him and just go with the flow, do what you have to do and let it go once you get home but he couldn't do it, he finally snapped, and everything came to a screeching halt. Despite the stress of his decision, and the struggle that followed, it was for the best because he's much happier now.
    My Store

3. Likes nutsaboutgabe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

An income is definitely important, but if it makes your life absolutely miserable something has got to give. I can't imagine disliking my job that much. I like doing what I do most days, but it's the office politics I can do without. I'm glad your DH is doing well now Kathy.

Quote Originally Posted by kl.winters View Post
    Been there, Missi! I spent almost 2 years watching my hubby hate his job and we were self-employed at the time, which just added more stress to the situation. Everyday, I wondered if this would be the day that he finally snapped, and gave it up. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get him to look past the things that were bothering him and just go with the flow, do what you have to do and let it go once you get home but he couldn't do it, he finally snapped, and everything came to a screeching halt. Despite the stress of his decision, and the struggle that followed, it was for the best because he's much happier now.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is not so much stress as aggravation with myself. I want to loose weight and try but quit after a few weeks. What does it take to make me stick with something?

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh...you had to bring up weight. That's another stress factor.

Quote Originally Posted by rdjrneace View Post
    Mine is not so much stress as aggravation with myself. I want to loose weight and try but quit after a few weeks. What does it take to make me stick with something?

7. Likes Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DH had a job he hated and it was really hard on our marriage. After a lot of prayer, an unexpected job offer came along that was perfect. He loved it and would still be at it if the boss hadn't retired and downsized the farm. So I will pray that everything works out for you guys Missi!

I am stressing a bit over swimsuit season too. I was on a medication for 6 months that I thought would cause me to gain weight, but it didn't. When I went off of it, however, then BAM! I have gained 10 pounds already and it's all in a spare tire around my middle. Ugh!
    Last edited by StarWarsFans; 04-26-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My son with Autism didn't really 'talk' until he went to Kindergarten at an elementary school. He was in a special needs early childhood program at a Preschool for 2 years and really didn't say much to his teachers and therapists and they were interacting with him one on one several times a day. He got to Kindergarten and had a lot more kids in his class and knew he had to use his words if he was going to really enjoy his class. Now he won't stop talking. He is in 5th grade and does still go to Speech class in school as he has difficulty with "TH" and some other sounds. He has come a long way and I really didn't think the words would come, be patient, work with your child reading and emphasizing words the correct way, correct him when he says something wrong. May I suggest the Sequence for Kids board game? We use it in the preschool class I work in and it is really a great game! Another tool we use is the internet site Starfall.com it has a lot of games and videos where you simply click on an object and the computer repeats the sounds of the words.

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely get the Sequence for Kids game. We love games and play them often. My son also loves books and we read, at minimum, three a night before bed. He really doesn't want me to read to him other than before bed, but he will "read" books by himself any time of the day. Going to the bookstore is a regular trip and he loves Scholastic Book order forms!! I knew about Starfall.com, but unfortunately it doesn't hold his interest and it's simply because there are no "characters" there that he wants to hang out with like Team Umizoomi, Dora, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by MnMommy2 View Post
    My son with Autism didn't really 'talk' until he went to Kindergarten at an elementary school. He was in a special needs early childhood program at a Preschool for 2 years and really didn't say much to his teachers and therapists and they were interacting with him one on one several times a day. He got to Kindergarten and had a lot more kids in his class and knew he had to use his words if he was going to really enjoy his class. Now he won't stop talking. He is in 5th grade and does still go to Speech class in school as he has difficulty with "TH" and some other sounds. He has come a long way and I really didn't think the words would come, be patient, work with your child reading and emphasizing words the correct way, correct him when he says something wrong. May I suggest the Sequence for Kids board game? We use it in the preschool class I work in and it is really a great game! Another tool we use is the internet site Starfall.com it has a lot of games and videos where you simply click on an object and the computer repeats the sounds of the words.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the mortgage situation, Barb!

I'm praying fir everyone who's posted here.

I'm stressed about my ILs' visit. They fly in tomorrow to meet DS and basically drive me crazy. And that's all I'll say about that.
    Pinterest Twitter
    Siggy created with GS's Dia de los Muertos Monthly Mix

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sara I hope your visit goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
    Sorry about the mortgage situation, Barb!

I'm praying fir everyone who's posted here.

I'm stressed about my ILs' visit. They fly in tomorrow to meet DS and basically drive me crazy. And that's all I'll say about that.

13. Thanks Tree City thanked for this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast