Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default 35mm Film (Negatives) to Digital

I am considering my options as I have WAY too many negatives. I am trying to figure out what to do with them...

I found a 35mm scanner at Costco.

Has anyone ever used one before? If so, were you happy with the quality?

Has anyone use a photo printing service to do the scanning for you? Where did you go? Were you happy with the results?

Lastly - after making all the film digital, did you keep the film? I was considering tossing the film. :O Just because they seem to take up so much space.

I would love thoughts and input! Thanks.

2. Likes photom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Epson scanner that can scan negatives. I have been slowly scanning them to digital. I think they are decent and I do throw the negatives away afterwards.

4. Thanks Colleen thanked for this post
    Likes Colleen liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 35mm Film (Negatives) to Digital

I bought one of those.. the manufacturer was PanDigital. It was Okay at best. Quick, yes. But the quality, meh.. Not bad but just not good either. It would save money over the printing services for sure. I've kept my negatives but just cuz I'm scared to throw them out. I probably should.

* I need to mention that I bought mine about 2 years ago so the quality in these machines has probably improved.

While we are on the subject, anyone have any ideas on how to scan APS film without sending it somewhere?
    Last edited by kimmyscraps; 04-21-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to know about the APS. I made the mistake of getting one of THOSE! I used it for my trip to Europe; then I returned that sucker when I got home.

I have maybe 10-12 rolls of them, so I might just have to send them in. That worries me though...

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder about this too. I have an Epson printer, but I don't know if it scans negatives. I have several, but not a ton anymore. I also have some slides that I'd love to get digital. I wonder if those would work in the same way with a scanner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelley View Post
    I wonder about this too. I have an Epson printer, but I don't know if it scans negatives. I have several, but not a ton anymore. I also have some slides that I'd love to get digital. I wonder if those would work in the same way with a scanner?
    It's usually a scanner only model, not a printer/scanner combo thing, and I think it needs to have a negative adapter.

I've had this one on my wish list at Amazon for months but I've never made the leap to purchase it... Canon CanoScan

I have tons of negatives and I've been considering having them scanned or should I do it myself?

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa - that's my dilemma. Do it myself or have someone else do it. I just wonder if I will find time to do it. I just want it done if you know what I mean...

I have lots of negatives, so I wonder what it will cost me to bring it in. Is it worth the cost of a nice scanner or not?!? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Colleen - the one you were looking at from Costco has decent reviews and the nice thing is they'll take anything back. I'm tempted.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a valid point. If I don't like it or the quality, I can just return it. ;) Thanks for the idea. I think I might just do that! It was fairly inexpensive too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Colleen - the one you were looking at from Costco has decent reviews and the nice thing is they'll take anything back. I'm tempted.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you gals lived closer to me. I have the Canon CanoScan 8600SF - probably the model before the one you linked to Lisa and it has the negative adapter, but I've actually never used that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    It's usually a scanner only model, not a printer/scanner combo thing, and I think it needs to have a negative adapter.

I've had this one on my wish list at Amazon for months but I've never made the leap to purchase it... Canon CanoScan

I have tons of negatives and I've been considering having them scanned or should I do it myself?

13. Likes Colleen liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast