Tex Mex Chili Bake-supper tonight!
taken from "Eat What You Love" by Marlene Koch
Tex Mex Chili Bake
Makes 4 servings
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound lean beef
¾ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ½ teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 ( 4-ounce) can diced green chilies
1 ( 15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 (8-inch) corn tortillas
2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional for garnish
Calories: 310/Carbohydrate 38g/Total Fat 6 g/Sat Fat 2g/Protein 26g/Fiber 10 g/Cholesterol 25mg,Sodium/330mg
- Preheat the oven to 350'F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beef, cumin, and chili power and cook for 5 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in the chilies, beans, tomatoes and tomato paste. Break up the tomatoes, stir, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Lay 1 tortilla on the bottom of the pie plate. Spoon half of the beef mixture on top. Place the second tortilla on top followed by the rest of the beef mixture. Place the remaining tortilla on top, and sprinkle with the cheese. Sprinkle the cilantro around the edges if using.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until hot, and the cheese is melted. Cut into four wedges.
Food exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean meat, 2 starch/Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Weight Watcher Point comparision: 6
Last edited by Rhoda Jayne; 04-11-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Post Thanks / Like