Post Thanks / Like

Default Using a Template in Paint Shop Pro (PSP)

I use PSPx2 for all my scrapping wants and needs. So, this tutorial will feature screen shots from that version. The steps should be the same or similar for other newer versions of PSP. The free script below has only been tested in PSPx2, but should work in all newer versions (modifications will not be made to the script for older versions).

For this tutorial, I've used the following products from the Gingerscraps Store:
    A Little Spring by Sugar Kissed Designs
    A Little Spring Paper Add-on by Sugar Kissed Designs
    Let Me Count the Ways Templates by Roseytoes Designs

Let's get started!

I always use the .PSD files for scrapping. They're quick and easy to use in PSP. You may see a "This PSD file contains unsupported features." error when opening. Just click OK. This error simply means styles were used in creating the template that PSP does not support (such as layer styles). This will NOT impact your use of the template.

Now your chosen template is open in your workspace (yours may look different). I save the template as another file name first thing just in case I do something crazy; I don't want to lose the original template. You can save it as a .psd or .pspimage file. It doesn't matter, but I have found .pspimage files are usually smaller than .psd files.

I always start with the papers, so I'll choose my top background paper first and open it in my workspace.

I copy the paper... (right-click)

... then I paste it as a new layer ABOVE the layer I want it to become (right-click).

Close the original paper.

Once the paper is in the template, click the layer below it.

Go to Selections - Select All on the top menu bar.

This will put the marching ants around the entire layer.

Next, go to Selections - Float.

This will put the marching ants around only the desired shape.

Then, Selections - Defloat.

This will remove the floating layer and keep the desired shape active.

Now you want to make your paper the desired shape.

Click the paper layer. Notice the ants are still there with the desired shape. This is good.

Now, go to Selections - Invert.

This puts the marching ants around the undesired section of the layer.

Then go to Edit - Clear.

This will remove the unwanted area.

Go to Selections - Select None.

This will remove the marching ants.

Click the shape layer below your paper, right-click and delete.

That's a lot of steps, but you can make your own script that will perform it in mere seconds. These steps also ensure nothing becomes distorted in the process. I have made a free script for you if you don't want to make your own.

NOTE: Always start the script on the paper layer that you copied and pasted; NOT on the template shape layer.

Download the script here.
    Put it in your PSP Scripts - Restricted folder and it will appear in the Scripts drop-down toolbar.

To use, choose it from the drop-down menu and click the Play button.

I do not use the script on the very bottom layer of the template. For some reason, PSP doesn't like that. So, I simply copy-paste my desired paper above the bottom layer, then delete the bottom layer. No script or fancy steps required.

I use this script for all the paper and photo layers.

I don't usually clip papers to element shapes. For elements on a template, I simply choose my desired element from the kit, open it in my workspace, copy the element, then paste it as a new layer ABOVE the shape on the template. Then I move it around where I want it and delete the template shape layer.

I have all my shadows pre-set using scripts as well (another time, another tutorial ). I apply those while I'm working, or at the end depending on my mood.

And my final product...
    (photo courtesy of Anthony Kelly)

I hope you find this tutorial helpful. I know it seems like a lot of steps, but with the script, it's SO FAST and EASY!

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by catgoddess; 04-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.

2. Thanks mamaape thanked for this post
    Likes mamaape liked this post
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using a Template in Paint Shop Pro (PSP)

You've "NO" idea, how much I appreciate this tut! [plus I love what you create]- Anyhow, I am by nature an Adobe gal...[seriously, most all versions, as I wear many hats]
    However, I do have psp x3, and dang...I get stymied rather easily. Looking forward and trying to create thru this.
    Thank you so much.
    m
    Michelle

4. Thanks catgoddess thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This morning was the 1st I had a chance to read through this and try it - and I agree with Michelle - it is so very helpful! THANK YOU!! I'm off to make a page using a GS template! YEA!

6. Thanks catgoddess thanked for this post
    Likes catgoddess, mamaape liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, girlies! I'm so glad it was helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

What I discovered was ... I was opening files other than PSD. I was opening each layer up individually - so everything was always centered ... once I opened up the PSD file it was easy peasy!!! Thanks again!

9. Thanks catgoddess thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! I just started using PSP again after using PS, and this will definitely help me get some new pages done.

11. Thanks catgoddess thanked for this post