Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Juice fast from Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

My BFF's husband is doing the 10 day. He hates it but he has super bad psoriasis and it's actually effecting his joints so he's desperate since the doctors can't seem to help him. They are also trying for a second baby and think this might help in some way since the doctors told him that his condition is effecting that.
    Anyway, he likes to juice the stuff and then blend some things instead of juicing them and then combine them so he has a little texture. He says it's better that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow...I didn't know that psoriasis could affect your joints!! That is so sad I hope it ends up helping him in some way! Poor guy
    ☮.▪▪.:♥♥:.:**:.▪:JENN:▪.:**:.:♥♥:.▪▪.☮
    My blogaroo...my personal site - ajoyfulheart.com...my newsletter

Have you clicked today?

Post Thanks / Like

Jodi, are you still doing any of the juicing? I still haven't done the 10-day thing - not even the 3-day thing, but I do make juice at least once every single day.

Oh how I WISH I loved the mean-green-juice!! (I do NOT! haha!) But I did come up with a juice that both my husband and I really, truly LOVE, and we drink it almost every day. It is a combination of fruits with some spinach, lettuce, and occasionally parsley thrown in. Here's the basic ingredients for the juice hubby and I drink every day when he gets home from work:

2 apples (I have tried several different varieties - our favs are Braeburn, Pink Lady, and Harold-red (the same kind we grow on our apple-tree)
    2 oranges (or 1 orange, 1 tangerine, or 1 orange and 1 mandarin orange, OR 1 orange and 1 grapefruit)
    4 large Vidalia carrots (you can use regular carrots as well, but the Vidalias are extra yummy and sweet
    large handful of fresh spinach, wrapped tightly inside a couple of large lettuce leaves - when you bundle them all together and roll them up tightly, you get more juice out of them - I also put the parsley in here if I'm using it)
    small handful of parsley (if I have fresh on hand, which I try to most of the time - it really adds a nice bit of extra flavor)
    1/2 large or 1 whole small lemon... or 1 whole large lemon if I add a lot of spinach

This is the basic, every-day base. If I have other fruits on hand - kiwis, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, I throw in some of that too, and sometimes will skip one of the apples or oranges if I add a lot of other fruit. Also, sometimes we will use fresh alfalfa in place of spinach - we have some friends who grow organic alfalfa and it is supposed to be SUPER healthy, and it tastes good in this juice, as long as you add enough lemon.

When I first made this, I didn't use lemon, and it was "OK" Then I started adding a fresh lemon and WOW - we LOVE it!! It is SO amazingly yummy - you really can't even tell (except for the color) that there is ANYthing green in it! I love to use a whole lemon, hubby prefers half. I love when it all just tastes very much like lemonade!

The other thing that makes is extra good is pouring it into tall glasses with LOTS of ice, so it gets really cold - this just makes it extra delicious and it is actually a TREAT!

This ends up giving hubby and I each 2 servings of fruit and 2 veggies, all in one yummy glass!
    My blog
    My shop
    (this will have to do until I can make one of those fancy signatures!) Hehe!

Post Thanks / Like

Jill, We haven't juiced since I had that infection in my colon, but I do plan on juicing again in the future.
    That recipe sounds great. I will have to put it in with my other juicing recipes.

Post Thanks / Like

I think about you almost every time I make juice! Since you got that infection, I've always wondered if maybe any of the produce had just a little bacteria on it, or the juicer - it wouldn't take much at all, really, because with that fresh, raw juice, it is absorbed so quickly into our intestines, that it's possible that our stomach acids don't even have enough time to kill bacteria before it enters our intestines... that was my first thought anyway. I know that with fresh, raw juice like that, we do absorb it very, very quickly - much more so than any juice from concentrate, pasteurized juices, etc. Raw is the state that our bodies are designed for (in produce, anyway - I'm definitely not advocating eating raw meat or eggs, etc.) and is the most easily digested and absorbed - and by far the healthiest.

So, ever since that happened to you, I am extremely meticulous about cleaning both the produce and the juicer, every single time. I know some people say you can just clean it under hot water (well, except for the screen, which MUST be scrubbed with the brush - hot water alone would never get it clean for me!). I wash produce in regular anti-bacterial dish-soap and rinse well, and when I'm ready to start juicing, I fill the sink with hot soapy water so that the juicer parts can go right in there as soon as I'm done. We drink our juice and then I spend at least 10 minutes cleaning the whole thing, because I just can't help but thinking your infection may have been related to it, and we can't afford to have that happen to either of us! (Besides, it sounded so painful and miserable!) Maybe I'm over-cautious now, but I am SOOOoo picky about the produce I use for juicing - any greens must be perfect, without bruising, tearing, or looking like they may be "almost" ready to start deteriorating... and some of those greens can deteriorate so fast - especially spinach! I did discover that a certain brand of pre-bagged spinach at one of our grocery stores keeps extremely well, and there is VERY little deterioration in comparison to when I buy the bundled fresh spinach that is not bagged - the stuff I'm talking about is pre-washed (I still wash it again, along with the other stuff), but all of the leaves are loose in the sealed bag, rather than being a bundle wrapped with a rubber or metal band. The bagged/sealed spinach lasts SO much longer and has very little waste, so even though it costs about 50 cents to a dollar more than the other - depending on if it's on sale or not - it is definitely worth it!

I hope you get the courage to try it again - it is SOOo good for you! Definitely takes some extra work every day, but I figure that since we're each getting the vitamins/nutrients of 2 fruits and 2 veggies from our (large) glass of juice each day, I don't have to serve so many veggies with supper! Definitely try adding either a half-lemon or a whole one - I really think that makes EVERY one of the juices I've made taste much better - so yummy!
    My blog
    My shop
    (this will have to do until I can make one of those fancy signatures!) Hehe!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I only rinsed the juicer with hot water. I ran in through the dish washer the first time and the last time before I put it away.
    I did find this http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/clean...-produce-spray fruit and veggie wash from Dr. Oz that I thought I would pass on. I might have already posted about it in an earlier post but I forget and don't want to go back through and read again lol.
    I didn't use it and that's probably why I got the infection. Next time I will be sure to use the spray and wash the juicer parts better.

7. Thanks Jill DZines thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, did anyone have any problem with elimination while doing this? I had been doing the mean green (I have been peeling the lemon so it didn't taste too "pithy"), but I had bought beets, so I figured I'd try them as well. The next day, I was peeing red. I've stepped back from doing the juicing, and have been trying to do more acidic things to get moving. I just was wondering if he suggested to do anything to help that out, or what. I was really worried about a blockage, but I've had a movement yesterday and today now. It really was playing with my mind, if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah peeing red or pink is a beet thing. I had the opposite problem with the juicing diet as far as #2 went lol. It got better after the first 2 days though and I got back to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Yeah peeing red or pink is a beet thing. I had the opposite problem with the juicing diet as far as #2 went lol. It got better after the first 2 days though and I got back to normal.
    I've heard of having red poop, but never red pee! I just wish that I had the same experience, because I really felt great after the first 2 days. I was on an energy high that I haven't had in years! (Probably because of the extra nutrition.) I was able to survive on 5 hours of sleep plus a 1.5 hour nap. Which knowing me, is a BIG deal! A few years ago I made myself start waking up after 8-9 hours of sleep. Before that, it was 11-13 hours/ night!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910