Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Juice fast from Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

We aren't exactly sure what it is but it MIGHT be an ulcer or it might be an intestinal parasite. Still waiting on test results. I thought it might have been not washing the fruits and veggies good enough and getting sick from pesticides. I see the dr again on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Awww, Jodi, I'm sorry you've been sick. I do hope you're feeling better very soon!!

I'm not doing the juice-fast (yet)... just adding juicing into our diet (the hubster and me), because it means we can actually get the micronutrients from multiple fruit and vegie servings, which is AWESOME! The fruit juices I've made have been GREAT, and the kids like those too. Mostly citrus (orange, lemon) and apple, pineapple, grapes, strawberries... the first juice I made had all of that in it except the grapes, and it was SOoo yummy - my daughter and I both thought right away it tasted like an Orange Julius.

The vegie juices.... not quite as well-loved... LOL! As in... Day #1 I made Joe's "Mean Green Juice" - hubby and I both DIS-liked it - intensely! But we did both choke it down, because we decided we wanted the nutrients and not to waste all the expensive produce... The first batch of vegie-juice I made (Joe's mean-green juice) included: 1/2 large cucumber, 3 stalks of celery, 1/2 lemon, 1 granny-smith apple, 1 handful of kale (about 3 medium-sized very curly leaves), handful of dark-green lettuce (about 4-5 medium-to-large leaves), and about an inch of fresh ginger. This made about 24 ounces of juice, so I had enough to save for the next day.

I figured out a good way to save the juice so that it stays "alive" and doesn't oxidize (you lose nutrients the more it comes in contact with oxygen, even in a jar): I poured the extra juice into a freezer-bag (zip-lock) and squeezed out EVERY bit of air out of the bag, then zipped it up, put that inside a container and put in fridge. NO air = no oxidation - so I can make enough juice for 2 days instead of having to do both kinds (fruit and vegie) every single day! (yay for easy!) haha!

SO, the 2nd day I went to drink the rest of my mean-green juice, even though I think it was pretty nasty, I thought it was tolerable, so I forced myself to finish off my 8 oz.... then promptly ran to the bathroom and tossed my "cookies" Bwahahaha! I'm such a wuss! After that I didn't even ask Paul if he wanted his 2nd glass of mean-green juice... I dumped it out. So much for THAT recipe! lol!

The next day, I made carrot-and-apple juice in place of a veggie-juice (well, it was half vegie) and that was actually pretty good! Both Paul and I liked that. Will make that again. I used 1 apple and 8 medium carrots, and we got almost 20 ounces of juice out of that, so we had extra again, and saved it for the next day, in freezer-bag with air squeezed out. Nice. Cleaning the juicer is a PITA! Not horrible, but definitely adds to my kitchen time!

Today I made a vegie concoction that was SUPPOSED to taste like V-8. It did NOT. But it wasn't too bad - I think it might grow on us. It had one beet in it (along with tomatoes, spinach, carrots, parsley, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 large cucumber, celery, a little kale and a little lettuce (VERY little lettuce - only had a few little leaves left.... I think that's all). It tasted very beet-y. My one beat must have been bigger than the one in the recipe, because that was ALMOSt all we could taste - well, that and the carrots, and just a hint of tomato (I put 3 medium-large GORGEOUS tomatoes in there!). We each drank our 8 oz, and I saved the rest - definitely enough for both of us for tomorrow. But tomorrow I'm going to add more tomatoes and maybe some garlic and/or ginger. Needs a little more zip! But it's not too bad, and I think I can tweak it until we really like it. I've got at least a dozen quarts of good frozen garden tomatoes left, and can use those as a base for this juice, until I run out of frozen tomatoes - good way to use them up. Not fresh, but still much better than canned. Frozen is as close as you can get to fresh without actually being brand-new-spankin-fresh. From what I've read, I'm expecting us to notice a lot of red in our... toilet... haha! in the next day or 2, from the beet. THAT should be a fun treat! LOL!

SO, I am REALLY glad I didn't decide to jump into the juice-fast thing right away - I want to come up with several kinds of vegie juice that we really truly LIKE before I'm ready to try that. So using the juice to supplement and replace a meal here-and-there for now, and that is going well. I've actually lost a couple pounds without doing much else different. Well, except for quitting drinking diet cola and cutting back a bit on ice-cream, my favorite food in the world! But between the juice and regular meals, and adding a hand-full of almonds to my daily diet, I'm not craving the ice-cream quite as much anyway, which is nice. I'm truly addicted.

SO that's my juicing-journal for the first few days with the juicer. I know that we will learn to like the vegie juices more, the more we drink them. As least I hope that's the case! But I will find some good recipes and tweak them until we love them. Or die trying.
    My blog
    My shop
    (this will have to do until I can make one of those fancy signatures!) Hehe!

Post Thanks / Like

Jodi, our Chiropractor told us about this last week. He is doing also.

Post Thanks / Like

Jan!!! I haven't seen you in... FOREVER!! How are you doing??
    My blog
    My shop

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Jill! So glad you are finding some recipes that you like and some that you can tolerate lol.
    Jan, that's great that your chiropractor is doing it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have exciting news! The "tweaks" I did today on our mostly-beet-flavored juice worked and it tasted GOOD! Still not quite like V8, and I imagine it will be almost impossible to match that, since ours isn't cooked/processed, and I don't want to add salt (there is quite a bit of salt in V8). The juice already has celery in it, which is kind of high in natural sodium, so we don't want more of that. SO, here's what I did - thawed and removed skins from about 5 medium-sized tomatoes (the skins slip right off once they've been frozen) and put them in the blender, along with about a teaspoon of minced garlic, 1/4th cup of chopped white onion, 1/2 tsp. of fresh ground ginger, and a "pinch" or a couple of shakes of cayenne pepper. Blended smooth, then mixed with yesterday's juice (tomatoes, beets, carrots, parsley, spinach, celery, kale, lettuce) and...

Voile! Low-salt "Not-quite-V8 juice" I drank it right down because it actually tasted GOOD. Hubster did same, and... drum-roll please.... said, "I could drink this every day!" (I do NOT plan on making/serving this one every day - but at least I've got one really good recipe that we both truly like the flavor of. And is super-healthy - especially with the spinach and kale! I never did put the beet-tops in this batch, but supposedly you can/do, and it adds even more micronutrients. I was more concerned with flavor on this batch, cuz I couldn't stand to make another flop like mean-green juice was (for us, anyway).

I sure hope you heal up quickly and feel better, Jodi. That has to be miserable. Please update after you see your doc again.
    My blog
    My shop

7. Thanks Neverland Scraps thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Jill!! I am going to have to tell hubbers about this one because that's what we've been struggling with--the veggies!! We tried the mean green juice and gag it was nasty!! So very nasty!! I am sure though that my husband will be quite happy to try yours out, especially since you said it was tolerable and somewhat like a v-8 drink, which he loves!!
    I can't get photobucket to work.
    You know my name
    Neverland Scraps AKA: Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I hoped (and thought) maybe I could get used to the mean-green juice, but GAG!! LOL!
    My blog
    My shop

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to know about the mean green juice. I am not quite ready to do this as a cleanse, but am hoping to get to it soon. JODI! You poor thing! Let us know what the doc says. I hope you get feeling better soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been on the computer in a couple days. Dr thinks it's an infection in my intestines and has put me on Cipro which has been kicking my butt. I will catch up on these posts when I am feeling better. I am glad you all are doing so well on this fast though.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast