Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Digi isn't "real" scrapbooking!

I used to have a room or two devoted to my traditional supplies, then I had to move to a small apartment, there was no room for it. I did still take a few things since one of my neighbors was a scrapper too but all that work and we only got together for scrapping a couple of times. So much hassle. I had dabbled in digi a tiny bit before that but it was becoming more for me than the traditional work and with 2 small nosey kids at the time I didn't have to worry about missing something (scissors or glue) when I had to stop. My hubby was constantly upset with the amount of money I was spending on this and that in order to do a layout, there were several times he asked me to find a new hobby.
    After a couple of years I had to move again, when I was packing my bedroom I had gotten a special box just for my albums. I picked them up, somehow one ended upside down, when I picked it up the floor became covered in embellishments. I opened it up, every layout had fallen apart. I was so tore up I decided it was time to make the switch completely to digi, those pages wont fall apart on me and my DH is much happier with me and doesn't say a word about my spending any longer.
    I haven't been able to get rid of all my traditional supplies, they are organized and while I don't have a massive amount it is A LOT. I decided to keep the items for my kids. They have small albums and they love cutting up things, gluing things and generally making a mess, perfect! We now use my supplies for making things to frame and hang in their room or cards. I'm not so protective over the stuff anymore. I would much rather them have fun with it and make a mess than to have it just collecting dust, I mean its likely it's going to have the same fate as my albums anyway so why bother.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a full room dedicated to scrapping too. I took it all with me during one of those weekend crops, where I already was digi scrapping, and sold EVERYTHING!!! Whatever didn't sell, I donated to a camp for them to do crafts with. Used the money I made and bought Illustrator classes from Renee Pearson's site.

3. Likes christinap liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I originally started with paper scrapbooking. I still have my HUGE stash of paper scrapping supplies. But since learning digi my paper supplies has done nothing but collect dust. I still remember what a pain it was lugging all my stuff around when I went to scrap somewhere other than home. I still have alot to learn about digi but I much rather carry the computer and external hard drive around with me than all the heavy paper supplies. My opinion is noone has the right to put down digi scrapping or anything else if they have at least tried it first.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest selling point for me really was the cost. I'm 25, living on my own and I have $30k in student loans; although I make decent money, I don't really have that much extra money to go buy papers, ellies, glitter, EXPENSIVE special tools, etc when rent is due, electricity is due, phone is due, internet is due, student loans are due... BUT, I do have enough to spend a few dollars for an entire kit I can use over and over again!

It just doesn't make financial sense for me personally to spend hundreds of dollars on supplies that need constant replenishing and numerous tools when I can spend a few dollars on a kit, and every tool I'll ever need is built into Photoshop, which I already had. I echo a previous comment: if it weren't for digi scrapping, I wouldn't be scrapping at all!

6. Likes ShiLane, mamaape liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I started on my baby album through paper scrapping several years ago. I am determined to finish it,but just haven't found the time or desire to drag it all out. So,I have a closet full of stuff I never use. I really need to get that album finished so I can get rid of all my stuff and reclaim that space!

Post Thanks / Like

Digging up old threads, but wow you guys chatted a lot while I was gone! Although, I did put some of my "traditional" supplies to good use. We made a bunch of paper cranes out of my old 6x6 papers! Sent the rest of the paper home with my mom for my niece to enjoy! I still have a large box of paper just for kids crafts and whatnot, but that's one 3-4" stack that I "used" wisely!

9. Likes christinap liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I realize this topic ended over a month ago, but as a "young person" I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Personally, I don't think either 'traditional' or 'digi' is completely superior to the other. Both have their flaws and their perks. Digi can get pretty expensive, at least in the beginning, depending on what editing software you choose. And it does take practice to get good at it.

One of the things I love about digi is that I can use the same materials over and over and over again, whereas with traditional scrapping you have to buy 4 or 5 copies of each thing, or scan it in (though I'm not sure about the morality of this practice. Maybe someone can help me out?). The portability is also nice, as well as the ability to share my work instantly. Another thing that sticks out to me is the personality that digi kits have. There aren't any mass-produced digi kits, and that small-group camaraderie really shines through.

That being said, I do have some traditional supplies, too. Most are papers that I liked and picked up on sale at Hobby Lobby. It's harder to find some of the brand-name scrapbooking supplies in Digi form. For example, one cannot buy Disney supplies digital- it's all in traditional as of now. And there are lots of really cute kits that are mass-produced, though they don't always have the same charm that digi kits do.

To be fair, there are people who scrap both ways. That's why there is a category called "hybrid scrapping." Nothin' wrong with that.

11. Likes ShiLane, mamaape liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A couple weeks ago I let my MIL use some of my stuff to make my girls and neices a bag for this summer, and showing her how to use shadows in the program she has and she told me "Oh, I like to use thist stuff as art, not like what you do". My hubs had that look on his face practically begging me not to say anything lol.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is I've never heard a digi scrapper straight up DOG traditional scrapping as "not being real," but we've all heard and read the opposite from traditional scrappers. I don't get it. It's a spin-off. Back in the day, scrapper didn't use Cricuts, either, but those are fine while digi isn't? It's really lame.

I think most digi scrappers have traditional scrapping supplies, whether it's for other crafts or for hybrid, so it's not like digi scrappers say "Digi is the only way," so it's the "versus" and black and white mentality I don't like that many traditional scrappers have. I know some personally and they sort of go, "You scrap digitally? Ohhh..." :/

14. Likes StarWarsFans, sparkysgirl, ShiLane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think the paper scrappers who turn up their noses at digiscrapping really have no clue what it is. They sincerely think we just drag and drop our photos into a program and call it good. If they knew what all really goes into it, I think they'd have a better understanding and appreciation for our technique. I'm willing to forgive ignorance. But, any who still dog us after that are just snobs.

16. Likes kimmyscraps, Tree City, Ambelleina liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345