Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Digi isn't "real" scrapbooking!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelsMomJo View Post
    I have a couple of friends who are paper scrappers, pack up the house and go for a weekend crop types. They "tolerate" what I do, although I have to say they get pretty chapped when we get together on a Saturday and they make 5 trips to the closet or their car depending on whose house we're at, and I walk in with a laptop case that has my laptop, a mouse, my portable EHD, and sometimes my Wacom tablet! So I really think that they're a bit jealous and justify all the $ they spend and the hundreds of pounds of stuff they schlep around by arguing that it's "real" scrapbooking. Fine by me... my back's happier, and so is my bank account!
    I stopped going to the weekend crops with my friends. First off it cost me a fortune to sit there with my laptop, when I can do that at home. And then everyone would stare at me, or come over to make comments like..."But I like to touch my stuff."..or "It doesn't look real" etc. I laugh though at the beginning of the weekend, when they spend 2 hours setting up, I've already scrapped 2 pages. Or when it's time to leave and I take my own car, so I can go without waiting another 2 hours for them to pack there crap up.

2. Likes StarWarsFans liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's crazy talk and obviously from someone who's never done digi!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well... I couldn't help myself. I popped on to FB and read every comment. Here's what I posted:

How sad that a few people here can't enjoy and appreciate everyone's creativity without putting down digital scrapbooking as "not real." I was a paper scrapbooker, but went digital in 2006. When I open Photoshop, I am staring at a blank 12X12 page. I choose my papers and my embellishments, just like I used to. My scissors are my mouse and PS tools like the selection tools, vector shapes, and clipping masks. I make decisions about what "adhesive" to use when I add shadows. Obviously the shadow created when we use Pop-dots on traditional layouts is very different then the shadow created when we use a basic tape-runner. I must adjust accordingly. I ink edges, add glitter, and stamp using things called layer styles. I use overlays. I do not "pick a pic and click." My computer does not, will not, and cannot do the work for me. I am as creative now as I was then. I still use all the same techniques, I just had to learn how to use new tools. When I look at a layout that someone posts, I see a memory that someone lovingly preserved. I don't see traditional, hybrid, or digital because, to me, it's completely irrelevant and they are all very real.

Post Thanks / Like

well said Joanne!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, very well said!

Post Thanks / Like

Me three! Very well done!

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, when our church did monthly craft days I would literally fill my van full of my scrapbook stuff and spend a long time carrying it all downstairs, to the van, into the church, out of the church, back into the house and back upstairs.

This is just a small part of what I used to have and all I kept when I purged thru it after I started digiscrapping!!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieEnriquezDesigns View Post
    I stopped going to the weekend crops with my friends. First off it cost me a fortune to sit there with my laptop, when I can do that at home. And then everyone would stare at me, or come over to make comments like..."But I like to touch my stuff."..or "It doesn't look real" etc. I laugh though at the beginning of the weekend, when they spend 2 hours setting up, I've already scrapped 2 pages. Or when it's time to leave and I take my own car, so I can go without waiting another 2 hours for them to pack there crap up.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ No thanks, I like to actually use my closets instead of storing away so much papercraft that takes more time to bring out and set up than I have for actually scrapping away ! ;)

10. Likes Tree City, ShiLane, Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

p.s. I did try traditional scrapbooking once, just couldn't do it because there was SO much. 8 pairs of scissors, stacks upon stacks of papers, little embellishments getting EVERYWHERE, glitter that never comes off of any work space, and snibbles of paper garbage littered everywhere... too much STUFF and not enough room. I have an Aunt that has an entire ROOM devoted to her scrapbooking. I do not jest. It's ridiculous (cool, sure, but ridiculous) in my opinion. But again, whatever makes you happy, and I mean that! Having to be able to just hit the power button and everything is at hand, and being able to walk away for a bit and SAVING- not having to worry about cats, dog tails or toddler hands mussing up my work... that's priceless to me.

NOT TO MENTION PRICE: Digiscrapping is cheaper, hands down.

12. Likes Ambelleina, DianaB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is so me. When my son was born, I tried to paper scrap. I bought all kinds of papers & some embellishments. I have a few scissors & paper trimmers, but I couldn't justify the cost of the stuff I really wanted and I couldn't stand the mess all over. It was so much work to pull everything out and do just one page. That it sat.

When I came across digi scrapping and what all I could do with it ~ I was hooked. I'm able to be creative without the mess & without the huge price!

Quote Originally Posted by mamaape View Post
    p.s. I did try traditional scrapbooking once, just couldn't do it because there was SO much. 8 pairs of scissors, stacks upon stacks of papers, little embellishments getting EVERYWHERE, glitter that never comes off of any work space, and snibbles of paper garbage littered everywhere... too much STUFF and not enough room. I have an Aunt that has an entire ROOM devoted to her scrapbooking. I do not jest. It's ridiculous (cool, sure, but ridiculous) in my opinion. But again, whatever makes you happy, and I mean that! Having to be able to just hit the power button and everything is at hand, and being able to walk away for a bit and SAVING- not having to worry about cats, dog tails or toddler hands mussing up my work... that's priceless to me.

NOT TO MENTION PRICE: Digiscrapping is cheaper, hands down.

14. Likes christinap, Ambelleina liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast