Post Thanks / Like

Default PSE reinstallation woes

Hi everyone!
    My computer crashed last week and we needed to wipe it clean and reinstall EVERYTHING.
    I have my Adobe program back on the computer, PSE 6, and it opens fine, except NONE of my styles, actions, shapes, etc. are showing up in it even though the files are there all tucked snug in their proper folders and I have rebuilt the database several times.
    Any clue of what I should try?
    Thanks!
    Beth

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PSE reinstallation woes

Hate it when that happens. Check to see if show hidden files is not checked off.
    Another pse fix is...shut down the program, then restart it and hold down control + shift + alt. That often gives it some umpfffffff to get working again.
    Good luck.
    m
    ps- on the missing styles etc, were these the ones that came with the program or ones you acquired?
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

The styles and actions, textures, patterns, etc.. are ones I acquired. It's all missing from the palette when PSE 6 opens. They are in their folders/files though.

holding down ctrl shift alt has made my pse 6 "unresponsive"....

still trying!

Post Thanks / Like

ok, sort of back in business. HOWEVER, the action files that have to be reinstalled....where do I put the png images that go with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried this?

To Install Actions into PSE 6:

1. Make sure PSE is closed.

2. Navigate to: C:\DocumentsandSettings\allusers\application data\adobe\PhotoshopElements\5.0\PhotoCreations\Sp ecial Effects\PhotoEffects\

3. Create a new folder for each action.

4. If your thumbnail images are not provided as PNG files, you must open them and resave them as PNGs.

5. Copy all actions (ends in .atn) and "thumbs" files from your download. Do not copy any text files (directions for use/installation).

6. Paste into your newly created folder.

7. Start up PSE and go! Have fun with your new actions!

The PNG files go in the same folder as the action I think.

For me I have to run PSE as an admin to get my actions to install correctly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I figured out what happened, but I don't know what to do about it. I use Windows Vista.
    My computer crashed.
    My husband copied my files to save them before he wiped the computer clean.
    He did not have "show hidden files" selected so the folder called PROGRAM DATA did not get saved.

I have the atn files for my actions, but no png files for them.
    I can upload them into add o matic and save them with a generic green image, but that stinks!

how do I get or find my png files for my actions? Once unzipped, they went to addomatic, which put them in PROGRAM DATA and that is the file that got deleted.

Or should I just upgrade to PSE 10, buy new ones and start over? (If I do that I assume I have to buy new styles, patterns, shapes, etc, right?) Oh lordy.

Post Thanks / Like

if you have the orig action you purchased it may have the png in the folder if not you can create your own and as long as it's named exactly what the action (.atn file) is, then it should create a thumb for it. I've done this before when the png file didnt come with the action.

It's been a really long time since I've used PSE6 but I think if you upgraded you'd be really impressed with the upgrade. All my actions still work in PSE10. You will have to purchase a new addomatic though I had to do this when I upgraded. I agree w/ you and I dislike that it just uses a generic icon. I wrote him about that and he said there is no way to change that in his action.

so if its just the PNG that you have issues with then use the addomatic and then go back and add the imgs to replace his in the photo effects file.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jaime. I think I found some of the png files, but am wondering if you can tell me what size to use when creating my own pngs to go along with an action. This is going to entail far more creativity than I had planned on. Oi.

If I can get pse6 up and running I may just stick with that for a while. I can't decide!

Thanks for your help, you have helped a bad day be better!

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

I'm back again. I'm with cjoy2Day on this. I 'was' an original elements village member [even when it had another site name--LONG time ago] and when I have pse...maybe 2 or if it had a number?? can't remember.
    Anyhow... I have and teach:
    pse- 3,4,5,6 ,8, and 9.
    CS5 [took cs3 off]
    and psp X3.

If still stuck, happy to trouble shoot with you.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! M, Thank you so much!!!! I am in fair shape today having rebuilt the database seven times. I think I have to repurchase my actions. There are only 20 of them so that is not too bad....HUGS and thanks! Thinking of staying with 6 for now then when we get a new desk top (Maybe a mac) then get 10.