Thread: PSE9 shadowing

Post Thanks / Like

Default PSE9 shadowing

This is all Rachel's (Harmony Star) fault for showing me how to do shadowing. It's something that I spend a lot of time on and try to do better each time I make a page.

I just got a new computer and I can't get PS7 to load onto my computer. I have a copy of PSE9 I got to load, it will have to work until I find my disks for PS6 to see it that one will work. Anyway, I am in DESPERATE need of custom shadow work! Usually I do a shadow and create it on it's own layer and delete the shadow parts that shouldn't be there. Is there anyway possible to do this is PSE9? This could be a deal breaker for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PSE9 shadowing

Sorry - no help w/ PSE9! GOOD LUCK!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping for you. I use shadow actions in PSE8 (mac) b/c the pre-made shadows in that program are not on a separate layer. That said, I may be clueless about another way to do it... hopefully someone else knows

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you could customize them by duplicating the layer and making the duplicated layer the shadow layer. Make the shadow layer black, or whatever color you use for shadows. Then go to filter and gaussian blur and mess with the blur slider. Then you can erase and move the shadow layer around a bit. It isn't the same as making a shadow and then putting the shadow on its own layer, but it will do in a pinch.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is very easy to do.

See my video tutorial here:

http://blog.hummiesworld.com/2010/11...ate-layer.html

I hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hummie View Post
    Yes, this is very easy to do.

See my video tutorial here:

http://blog.hummiesworld.com/2010/11...ate-layer.html

I hope that helps!
    I was going "Oh wow, seriously" most of the video, . I didn't even KNOW some of the tricks! Learn something new everyday!

Post Thanks / Like

Eeeeek! Hummie that was fabulous! I am SO glad I watched that!

Post Thanks / Like

Hummie to the rescue! I have PSE9 and because I'm lazy, I use a layered style for the shadows on me layouts. I have several from different designers and they are quick and easy but they are not on a separate layer. You can customize them by editing the layered style as far as size, distance and opacity but again, they are not on a separate layer, they are applied to the element themselves.
    My Store

Post Thanks / Like

I have PSE 5 & 9 and I use shadow actions all the time.

The only ones I found which put it on a separate layer is by Wendyzine. (I'll let you Google her as it's probably not allowed to advertise other stores here :-) She also does an amazing acrylic shadow action which just outlines the element, and doesn't 'grey out' the middle see-through bit.

They are so quick and saves fiddling about with duplicating layers and Gaussian blurring them.
    Far too time consuming IMO LOL!

Now if only Adobe would let us 'warp' shadows, like the full version of PS that would be awesome.
    Have fun with your shadows....I don't think you ever stop learning about them.
    Px