Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creating an Animated Siggie in Photoshop

Here at GingerScraps your finished siggie needs to be 700 pixels x 150 pixels MAX.

First, build your background and add your shows as in a normal LO. Next, add the element you wish to animate, I chose a butterfly. Add your first element in the first position…

I usually don’t name my layers but I do when animating, I called mine butterfly 1. Now duplicate that layer, I use crtl+J, rename it butterfly 2, then using the arrow keys nudge it over so the layers overlap a bit…

Next, using ctrl+T, rotate the element a bit to mimic the butterflies fluttering, you can make it a bit smaller also. In my finished siggie I used PS5’s Puppet Warp, it’s not necessary but fun, and we’ll cover that later.

Now duplicate butterfly 1 again, in the layers palette move it over butterfly 2, rename it butterfly 3. Using the arrow keys nudge it so it overlaps butterfly 2. Now duplicate butterfly 2, name it butterfly 4 and move it over butterfly 3, then nudge. Continue to duplicating, renaming and nudging until your screen is covered.

Click the eye in the layer palette so that only butterfly 1 is visible. Now open the Animation window…

If your screen doesn’t look like this, click the Convert to Frame Animation…

Chose a frame time, try .02 seconds…

Click the duplicate frame button in the animation palette…

In the layers palette, unclick the eye button next to butterfly 1 and click the eye next to butterfly 2…

Repeat the steps, click the duplicate frame button in the animation palette, in the layers palette, unclick the eye button next to butterfly 2 and click the eye next to butterfly 3…

Continue until all the frames are completed. I added one more frame without a butterfly and changed the timing on that frame to 1 second. Click play to watch. Save you file, then choose “Save for Web and Devices” chose GIF, you can resize it to under 700 x 150 if needed. Now it’s ready to upload.

If you have Photoshop CS5 you can play with Puppet Warp. Go to Edit / Puppet Warp. You can add pins in places you want to manipulate; I made mine “squishyer”. Play with your element then replace it within the layers and timeline.

Today I decided I wanted the butterfly to fly behind the "A" so I moved that layer to the top of the list.

I hope this is a fun tut, and hopefully NOT confusing. Post up if you have questions.
    Last edited by Lisa; 05-14-2011 at 02:10 AM.

2. Thanks France, berniek, Ricki, trina513 thanked for this post
    Likes France, Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creating an Animated Siggie in Photoshop

This is awesome Lisa! I always wondered how to do this Might have to give it a go soon

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome tutorial Lisa!

Post Thanks / Like

Great tutorial. I have not done any animation in a few year. I need to re-learn it. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for pointing this out Lisa, this is really cool, I just may have to try this sometime soon. Great job on the tut, thank you for taking the time to put this together!

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done animation in CS so it's good to know how!! Thanks!

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow!!! how cool you did this tut for us! I was about to PM you to ask you created your awesome siggie!
    Thanks- cannot wait to try this out.
    m
    ps- does it work other places??
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I just came across this now - great tut Lisa! I've done this before - but you explained it so well!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I never even thought of trying animation, always looked too complicated. Until now and it was so easy, I tried it on my first sig. Thank you very much Lisa for the great guide! When I succeeded I was thrilled like a kid to see my butterfly fluttering around

btw, how is it written, siggy or siggie? I have seen it written both ways many times..........

.....but then it didn't fly here so back to the old one until I work this out............silly me.

AngelclaudArtroom, SeatroutScraps, GingerScrapsAdTeam & SnickerdoodleDesigns.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I just read this really useful tutorial.... I've always been a fan of your siggie, Lisa.
    I think I might try it out and hopefully can come up with fun siggie like yours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast