Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Favorite Tips for Living Healthy

Care to share your favorite tips for living healthy?

I recently (in the last two weeks) decided to get serious about my health. All my life it's been about my weight, but since my recent illness I decided I needed to get serious about more than my weight and start making myself the healthiest that I can be. So I've started making little changes here and there and I can already see and feel a difference in my overall health.

Some of the changes I've made are:
    • Giving up soda and switching to water (LOTS of water! lol)
    • Eating more veggies (I slice my favorites up and make a HUGE stir fry then keep it in the fridge and grab a bowl anytime I feel snacky)
    • Exercise with my husband - it keeps us both motivated as we are both pretty competitive!
    • Alternate days of weight lifting with walking on the treadmill (keeps me from getting bored and makes me feel empowered!)
    • Getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night

I would definitely love to hear what you all do to stay healthy. I can use all the ideas I can get!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Favorite Tips for Living Healthy

That's awesome Ellie! I need to start too! Not drinking soda makes a HUGE difference

Post Thanks / Like

Those are great tips Ellie. I really need to start exercising. I have stopped drinking soda and I drink a ton of water. I am doing weight watchers but I'm not really losing much and it is making me crazy so I could use all the tips I can get as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips! One tip I will share that has really helped me is to make a meal plan. I'm not a big fan of cooking so about once a week I sit down and plan out our dinners and sometimes lunches then make my shopping list from that. It sounds so simple but it has really cut down the grabbing of fast-food for our family, plus it's cheaper and healthier! Also DH has to cook on my work days and it helps him stick to the meal plan if it's all written out for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, girls!

Char, that is an excellent idea! I don't really enjoy cooking either, but I am much more likely to do it if I have it planned out ahead of time. I really need to get into the habit of doing that. I actually just bought a program a couple of months ago called the Dinner Solution. It's a menu planning program and is AMAZING, I've just been super lazy about using it. Guess I need to break it out!

Post Thanks / Like

After starting and stopping and starting and stopping (notice a pattern here?) I've decided I have to start and not stop. I'm sick, yet again (allergies? sinus infection? cold?) and I'm wondering if my weight has anything to do with it. My mom (a RN) says no, but I'm still not sure. Plus I have a feeling I'm going to need to have surgery this summer (real small, nothing major at all) and really I don't want to go into it as heavy as I am.

What my plans are -- no carbs. I'll start being strict with South Beach again -- It worked for me real well last time. I also find I drink more water when I mix it with Crystal Light (actually Walmart's brand of it because it is cheaper...lol). I also have the Kinect for the 360 and have started exercising with that.

Enough is enough
    ~Shannon

Post Thanks / Like

yay Shannon! I'm glad you are getting motivated! no carbs is essentially what is working for me right now, you can do it!

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think I could cut out carbs, everything has it in them, what do you eat if you don't eat carbs? Just curious. I agree, I always add crystal light to my water, the peach iced tea crystal light is awesome if you haven't tried it. The only one I like in that flavor is the real crystal light but it is so worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing Take Shape for Life Lisa, it cuts the carbs for you otherwise, you eat a lot of protein and veggies!

Post Thanks / Like

Lunch is salad with the night before's meat cut up into it. Dinner is either salad with tonight's meat or tonight's meat with lots and lots of veggies. BTW - take green beans - fry in the a pan until they are burned....i add garlic salt/onion salt and OMG are they good.

South Beach says plain yogurt for breakfast, or plain cottage cheese. They both have carbs in them though. I have a real hard time with breakfast to be honest and that is what sets me off. Good Breakfast = Good rest of the day. Bad Breakfast = well why bother being good. I know I could do bacon and eggs but there are some mornings I just don't want to cook. I think I'm going to just let myself have flavored yogurt (strawberry), or bananas with cottage cheese (something I've had since I was a baby and just love). It isn't 100% carb free, but it isn't bread....
    ~Shannon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast