Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Sugar Diet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No Sugar Diet

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieUlrich View Post
    Yogurt parfaits sound absolutely delish. Yum. Much better then the protein bar I currently eat for breakfast! What kind of yogurt do you use? I find that yogurts seems to be high sugar and high calorie to. Plus I am lactose intolerant, so I never buy it, but I want a parfait!!! LOL
    Lowfat yogurt or the Greek yogurt. Yeah, I wasn't sure on the sugar count for it, but it has to be better than candy! At least that is my thought process when I am eating it... "This is healthier than a candy bar, this is healthier then a candy bar, this is healthier..." ;) LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Yogurt is VERY high in sugar!! I had to watch that when I was pregnant - I know the strawberry I get has 31g of Sugar! I think the vanilla is about 28g. Thats the yoplait kind.
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

The Weight Watchers yogurt is much lower in sugar and actual "sugar" is not listed in the ingredients. The sweetness comes from the lactose and fructose. So I get that once in a blue moon when I'm in the mood for yogurt. But I try not too have it too often because it reawakens my sweet tooth!

I also make sure I check labels. They add table sugar and/or corn syrup to about everything these days. I get the no-sugar added applesauce and the 100% fruit juices. I love that they have fruit cups that are packaged in 100% fruit juice now instead of Splenda or heavy syrups. They are handy for quick snacks.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on checking labels Tricia....its a nightmare to try and find a salad dressing that doesnt' have high fructose corn syrup or sugar or hydrogenated oils in it! my god they are all so crazy unhealthy! I found a fabulous French Vinagrette by Brianne's that is really yummy and all natural, but I have yet to find a sugar free, natural type of Ranch which is my fave!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Ranch is a hard one. I tried a sugar free one from Whole Foods once that was the nastiest thing I have ever tasted in my life. It was soooooo bad. So now I try to just use a very, very small amount of "real" Ranch when I feel I really need it.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL well good to know that if I find one that I shouldn't hold out big expectations for it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm diabetic and really suppose to watch my sugar intake.. and what did God give me? A SWEET TOOTH!!! ACK... My elderly mom lives with hubby and myself....shes diabetic and so is hubby...Fruit YES is higher in sugar than one would think... Grapes turn to pure sugar in the body.. Unsweetened apple sauce is good... with splenda in it Sorry I can't go without Splenda.. will have to try this yogurt parfait it sounds great .. I'm excited we planted plum and peach trees last year and we have lil bitty fruit on there right now... hoping they get bigger and ripe and not fall off.. time will tell. Appreciate all the hints on eating healthly. when you're diabetic its NOT a diet anymore.. its a WAY of LIFE...

Huggys to all

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you on not going without splenda it's got to fix that sweet tooth somehow right?!?!

And Trisha, I tried a zero calorie ranch dressing yesterday and I'm pretty sure that is what evil tastes like!!! It was vile! So I've been using low fat sour cream with the powdered ranch dip mix and it is very low carb compared to most bottled dressings

Post Thanks / Like

I like yogurt for the probiotics, so I've been eating the YoLite made with Splenda. It's 13g carbs, and 3g of fiber (which I also need more of). I only eat one a day so I don't overdo it.
    Lori

Post Thanks / Like

I'm jumping in here. I lost a TON of weight several years ago going off of refined sugars. I will say, there's a ton more available now w/out the added sugar or artificial sweetners and the high fructose corn syrups than there was when I was going without. You can now get ketchup w/out HFCS - I believe it is a cane sugar. It's still a sugar, but not as refined as white sugar and much better than the HFCS.

For snacks; raisins, any of the dried fruits w/out sugar added - which I know can be difficult to find. Some stuff is seasonal - if anyone has a trader joe's near them they are a good resource for healthier versions. They were the only place I could find whole wheat hamburger buns w/out the sugars - that tasted good! I would usually get the plain yogurts and add fruit spread to it. The fruit spread uses fruit juices to sweeten instead of sugars (polaner and I think simply smuckers are the brands I usually buy). I also buy natural PB - believe it or not, it tastes really good to me. It's just like a mouth full of peanuts! I make a homemade granola that is really easy and really good. I will have to dig up the recipe and post it. I use pure maple syrup to sweeten it instead of sugar. I also use the pure maple syrup and make a sort of healthier version of apple crisp w/ out all the sugars.

If you are craving chocolate, eat natural whole almonds they are high in magnesium and that is why you crave chocolate.

Baby carrots are actually naturally higher in sugar so those can be good for munching too. I make a lot of my own dressings, snacks, even ice cream. There's so much added garbage in everything you buy commercially, that for a once in awhile treat, we use the fresh ingredients. If I think of more stuff I'll come back and post! Now you're motivating me to give up sugar again...hmmm....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast