Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Learning to eat healthy

We need a spot in the forum for Getting Healthy or Healthy Baking lol.... And then one of us needs to remember to start a check in thread every week!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sladd79054 View Post
    Greek yogurt I hear is good for you, I have one in the fridge now but haven't dared to try it yet.
    I actually just heard about this a few weeks ago while at the store. (We don't do yogurt much.) The first few bites were really weird, but it does start to grow on you. Actually, my husband got addicted to it, so when we went to Costco, and they had one, he jumped on it. However, that one tastes more like sour cream! You actually use it in place of sour cream. I just need to find a few recipes- like Indian recipes- that use it. I think if I used it like sour cream and not yogurt, I might be able to handle it a little better!

Good luck on your goals, ladies! Every few years, I start out my progress with a cleanse. I can go about 2-4 weeks on it, and get a good head start on weight control. That REALLY cuts back the cravings! Afterwords, though, it's like no dairy, no meat. Raw and unprocessed. However, after trying to have a baby for over 5 years, then going on that cleanse for 4 weeks, I did happen to get pregnant! The first few days are TERRIBLE! (Give me a double cheeseburger with supersized side of fries!) However, after the first 4 days, then everything is easy easy!

Hopefully, I'll be able to lose some weight there with you guys. I have tried really hard to give up the candy, but I have a BAD sweet tooth! Guess I better start taking my candy out to share with everyone else, huh? (ie- none left for me! )

Post Thanks / Like

my new favorite is Greek yogurt, I finally decided to take it out of the fridge and try it and it was the best thing in the world. I don't do the plain stuff, I have to have the fruit even though that costs me more points on weight watchers but it is twice the protein and 0 fat and it is so thick and creamy at least the brown cow brand, absolutely delicious. I actually thought in the beginning of the year or end of last year that there was a weight loss thread?? Maybe I am wrong but I think it is a good idea to have a place to talk about our weight loss journeys.

Post Thanks / Like

I lost 30 lbs. and have kept it off just by eliminating yeast products (so pretty much all raised breads) and sugar from my diet. I use corn tortillas as a bread substitute. Once you learn how to steam a corn tortilla just right in the skillet, you can use it for anything! I use ithem for my buns on hot dogs and hamburgers, for breakfast burritos, for basic sandwiches, and even for PB&Js.

I've learned to turn to fruit when I have a sugar craving. But when I just really, really need a sweet tooth fix, I use Truvia in place of sugar. It is all natural (comes from a plant) and has zero calories. It is an "acquired" taste, but once you get used to it you'll think actual sugar tastes funny. Really!

Changing your eating lifestyle is definitely hard, but worth it in the long run. Drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep too. It's amazing how much those 2 things can affect your weight. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I'm going to have to check out this point system thing, because I tried the cleanse and didn't even make it through day 2! Yikes! My husband lost over 50 lbs just by cutting out gluten! Also, he really did well when he cut out his meat. I think he started his weight loss with about 30-40 pounds by cutting out that and almost all dairy! (His highest was about 310, now he is about 225!) It has been so hard for him to cut out all the wheat products, but also he has had to cut out corn, too! He still used yeast, but it is in his rice/quinoa/millet/(sometimes flaxseed) bread. It really amazes me on how dependent we are on wheat! Sometimes I feel like I could handle it, but then I just look at him and go right on eating my pasta dinner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sladd79054 View Post
    my new favorite is Greek yogurt, I finally decided to take it out of the fridge and try it and it was the best thing in the world. I don't do the plain stuff, I have to have the fruit even though that costs me more points on weight watchers but it is twice the protein and 0 fat and it is so thick and creamy at least the brown cow brand, absolutely delicious. I actually thought in the beginning of the year or end of last year that there was a weight loss thread?? Maybe I am wrong but I think it is a good idea to have a place to talk about our weight loss journeys.
    How come the fruit costs you points? I thought it didn't count?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Char! Maybe if enough people are interested we can start a thread for healthy living/cooking?

Anyway, today was my weekly weigh in... my very first! I am happy to report that I've lost 4lbs! I know not every week is going to be like this but it's making me want to keep doing it! Even a pound a week is success in my book! And the best part of it is that I'm not starving (anymore! now that my stomach has shrunk) and I'm still eating the things I love. The only thing different is that I've switched out the usual candy and chips as snacks for cucumber, apples, clementines etc. For example here is what I've eaten this last week....
    Tues:
    coffee w/ sugar and cream
    fiber one bar salad w/ ranch
    cucumber slices
    cooked veg and beef soup
    slice of bread n butter
    apple
    salad w/ ranch
    mini pretzels

Wed:
    coffee w/ sugar and cream
    banana
    salami sandwich
    salad w/ ranch
    cucumber slices
    turkey meat loaf and au gratin potatoes
    2 chocolate chip cookies

Fri:
    Coffee w/ cream n sugar
    apple w/ ff caramel dip
    mini pretzels
    cucumber slices
    Italian skillet chicken w/ penne pasta
    2 chocoalte chip cookies

Like I said, this is just an example of what I've been eating. Last night I made some awesome cheesy chicken enchiladas !YUM!
    Last edited by Laura; 02-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, just the thread I was looking for! lol I totally need to get back on my eating plan, I've been screwing around with my diet and gaining weight since Thanksgiving.

I'm doing Body for Life/Transformation.

Post Thanks / Like

I weighed myself this morning....and I am 0.2lb away from breaking the 200lb mark...I can't wait! I know its just a number, but psychologically, its HUGE for me, I haven't weighed less than that in YEARS!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

YAY CHAR!!!! That is great! Keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast