PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Guidlines- From the boss :)

GingerScraps
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi ladies- I see that I have never actually posted the gallery rules. Woops :)

So here they are.. I will edit if I leave something off-

Recommended size is 600 by 600 pixels
GingerScraps products AND Non- GingerScraps allowed
NO links to Non-GingerScraps products please
NO advertising products by just showing preview of product- you can "advertise" by posting a LO and leaving the designer and kit name in the credits.
No photos containing obscene, nude, violence, illegal activity
Remember to list all credits with your LO.

When I get common questions- I will edit this top post with the answer-

Questions:

Yesterday, I received the message: "You have exceeded your upload limit of 8 images per day." after uploading 3 layouts. The message is still there today and I've not uploaded any photos. Help? Thanks!

Answer:
I'm sorry for your troubles. Let me explain a bit about how the gallery works.
The reason you are getting this error is because the gallery counts every category you assign your LO as 1 upload. So if you have 2 LO's and you assigned them each to 3 categories, and then 1 more LO that you assigned 2 categories, this would be your daily limit of 8 LO's.
Unfortunately I can not change this without causing a lot of other issues. If I lift the daily limit we get a lot of people dumping LO's in the gallery.
People that do not even participate at GS, they just basically want to come upload all their LO's either for CT requirements (for a non- GS designers), or as a kind of storage place for their LO's. This ends up using a lot of space, and cluttering up the gallery. With a daily limit, it keeps that kind of behavior to a minimum.
Hopefully since you know about the category (counting as an upload) you can tailor your uploads to work however you need them to.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

roseytoes9
06-14-2009, 12:47 AM
hey ginger, i was wondering, could you possibly remove the little statement: Post your Non-GingerScraps Layouts here- Make sure to give proper credits- Links OK
cause i think that might throw some people off ;) who may be reading your post on the gallery

photom
05-22-2010, 11:47 PM
What about store names???? (It's not a link!)

trina513
10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
thanks for putting this all in one place....one more question can we list store names? Or just stick to designer names? Thanks Ginger!!

GingerScraps
10-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Store names are ok.
The point of no links is because we don't want to just be a CT dumping ground. Once you open a gallery up with links then you tend to get a ton of people only coming to post in our gallery for CT requirements. Not actually involved in GS. I'm happy to support fellow designers and store by letting Scrapper's give credit- but opening up links causes issues.

So ya store names are ok :)

trina513
10-12-2010, 02:18 AM
I agree Ginger! (thinking about some sites I occassionally "dump" at....)

Thanks for the clarification!

Johanna
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I was wondering if it is ok to use a kit for a challenge if the designer has now left gingerscrap, but was here when it was downloaded.?

mamaape
07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it needs to be in the store at the time of the challenge to count. Someone else will have to confirm that, but I'm 99% sure of it. For example, if it's for a challenge this month, but the kit is not in the store now, it won't count.

GingerScraps
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I was wondering if it is ok to use a kit for a challenge if the designer has now left gingerscrap, but was here when it was downloaded.?
Actually your Challenge LO needs to be from a current GS designer, the only exception is... If you purchased your items and then WITHIN that month the designer is not at GS- your LO will still be ok for the challenge of that month.
That sounds really confusing.. let me give and example.

If and I'm just saying if because she better not leave me ;)
If Kathy Winters, left GS on July 15th any LO you made during July Challenges would still be excepted.

Hopefully that clears it up for you, Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Sarah
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM
If and I'm just saying if because she better not leave me ;)
If Kathy Winters, left GS on July 15th any LO you made during July Challenges would still be excepted.

Quick, everyone go knock on large amounts of wood ;)

StarWarsFans
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
I've always made my LO's 600 x 600 and under 200 KB since that seems to be the standard at most sites. Is that okay to continue or do I need to switch to 550 x 550 from here on out?

Sarah
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I've always made my LO's 600 x 600 and under 200 KB since that seems to be the standard at most sites. Is that okay to continue or do I need to switch to 550 x 550 from here on out?

I do under 135 (some galleries only allow that), but otherwise, the same :D

GingerScraps
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Nope 600x600 is goo.. I actually thought that is what I had on my top post, I edited it when I saw your post.

Nothing has changed Tricia... so you just keep on doin what you always have been :)

Johanna
07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone for the answers and I am saying my prayers and making spells to cover all bases re the none departure of KW LOL

mskinsey
08-19-2014, 04:16 AM
Hi Ginger,

I was looking for a clarification about old and new kits, designers who have left GS, etc., and lo and behold! I found it! Thanks for explaining what we can use and what not in our challenge layouts. I would like to ask a question or two about these policies, however.

While I can see the point in having these rules, I can also see where they can create problems for GS designers. For example, several designers at GS are quite prolific and therefore are frequently retiring their older products. According to these rules, we won't be able to use them after they are no longer listed in the store. Is that correct? Likewise when store designers go out of business, close their shop at GS, or move to another store, we can use any items we buy from them only up to the end of the month in which they retired or left GS, right?

Personally, I see this as a huge disincentive for purchasing their products. I know that I will no longer purchase any more retiring kits or anything from designers who are going out of business or closing their store at GS. I probably won't purchase any more "Buy My Store" offers either because it happens quite often that these kits are soon retired after the BMS offer has passed. Not always, but sometimes.

One might argue that I will have a lot of great kits on hand to create layouts and albums. Yes, this is true, and it's wonderful to have a lot of stuff to choose from when designing. But I now have a 1Tb EHD that is 3/4s full of zips from dozens of stores and hundreds of designers. As my son is fond of pointing out, "Mom, you have so many designs, you can't possible use them in your lifetime, especially since you only have a few years left." No, he doesn't really say that last part, but he and I are both thinking it. :)

In actuality, I mostly design digital LOs only for GS challenges these days, and thus I don't want to accumulate any more kits that I can't use because they are no longer offered in the GS store or the designer is no longer with GS. For example, I love the stuff that I bought from Amy Stoffel ... in fact, she's been one of my favorite designers since the first SYTYCD contest. OMG, I recently spent over $40 between GingerScraps and DigiChicks buying a bunch of her kits, yet now I find out that I can't use any of it for GS challenges.

I can say the same about the dozens and dozens of kits I purchased at Inspiration Lane, Scrappity-Doo-Dah, Stuff to Scrap, Groovy Scraps, DigiScrap Addicts, etc., etc., etc. All these stores are closed, along with many others, and no one is asking for LOs made with their products. And, of course, there is always the storage issue. Sure, I can use them any ole time to make layouts and albums, but I only have so much time, and it takes ages for me to make each LO that I make, and so I usually only manage to do the challenges for GS each month.

One final question: Does this rule also apply to charity kits sold for only a few weeks or months in the GS store and are then removed forever?

Thanks in advance for reading this message and providing a response.

evamarie (aka mskinsey)

PS: I hope this message does not make me persona non grata at GS. I am truly interested in this quandary.

missdamsel
08-20-2014, 04:48 AM
Hey darling, I am going to try to answer your questions and inquiries. :) And you will never be persona non grata at GS!!!

Hi Ginger,

I was looking for a clarification about old and new kits, designers who have left GS, etc., and lo and behold! I found it! Thanks for explaining what we can use and what not in our challenge layouts. I would like to ask a question or two about these policies, however.

While I can see the point in having these rules, I can also see where they can create problems for GS designers. For example, several designers at GS are quite prolific and therefore are frequently retiring their older products. According to these rules, we won't be able to use them after they are no longer listed in the store. Is that correct? Likewise when store designers go out of business, close their shop at GS, or move to another store, we can use any items we buy from them only up to the end of the month in which they retired or left GS, right?

You may use anything from a current designer even if the products are retired as long as the designer is not retired. Unfortunately, we do have to draw the line where a retired designer is involved though. I know sometimes designers come and go due to things happening in their real life and it gets frustrating for all at times, for all of us!

Personally, I see this as a huge disincentive for purchasing their products. I know that I will no longer purchase any more retiring kits or anything from designers who are going out of business or closing their store at GS. I probably won't purchase any more "Buy My Store" offers either because it happens quite often that these kits are soon retired after the BMS offer has passed. Not always, but sometimes.

BMS's are usually extremely great deals and yes, sometimes they precede a retirement.

One might argue that I will have a lot of great kits on hand to create layouts and albums. Yes, this is true, and it's wonderful to have a lot of stuff to choose from when designing. But I now have a 1Tb EHD that is 3/4s full of zips from dozens of stores and hundreds of designers. As my son is fond of pointing out, "Mom, you have so many designs, you can't possible use them in your lifetime, especially since you only have a few years left." No, he doesn't really say that last part, but he and I are both thinking it. :)

I also have tons and tons of kits that I may or may not ever use, but I figure I have a lifetime of scrapping that needs done and I will never be able to die because I will always have scrapping that needs done! lol

In actuality, I mostly design digital LOs only for GS challenges these days, and thus I don't want to accumulate any more kits that I can't use because they are no longer offered in the GS store or the designer is no longer with GS. For example, I love the stuff that I bought from Amy Stoffel ... in fact, she's been one of my favorite designers since the first SYTYCD contest. OMG, I recently spent over $40 between GingerScraps and DigiChicks buying a bunch of her kits, yet now I find out that I can't use any of it for GS challenges.

I can say the same about the dozens and dozens of kits I purchased at Inspiration Lane, Scrappity-Doo-Dah, Stuff to Scrap, Groovy Scraps, DigiScrap Addicts, etc., etc., etc. All these stores are closed, along with many others, and no one is asking for LOs made with their products. And, of course, there is always the storage issue. Sure, I can use them any ole time to make layouts and albums, but I only have so much time, and it takes ages for me to make each LO that I make, and so I usually only manage to do the challenges for GS each month.

One final question: Does this rule also apply to charity kits sold for only a few weeks or months in the GS store and are then removed forever?

I am not sure about this answer, but I am venturing to say that as long as one or more of the designers is at GS it should be ok to use.... Ginger???

Thanks in advance for reading this message and providing a response.

evamarie (aka mskinsey)

PS: I hope this message does not make me persona non grata at GS. I am truly interested in this quandary.

I am sure Ginger will drop by soon to check this thread and to clarify anything that I may have missed. Hugs to you....

GingerScraps
08-20-2014, 04:53 AM
Yes, Missi- everything you said was correct.
Perfect, perfect, perfect :)

mskinsey
08-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi Missi, Thanks so much for taking the time to read thru my mini-thesis (lol!) and answer my questions. I think that I've now got a pretty good handle on what is OK and what isn't, as follows:

1. Both current AND retired kits by a CURRENT designer are OK to use.
2. Kits produced by a designer who leaves GS are only good to use up to the end of that person's last month at GS.
3. Charity kits are ok as long as at least one current designer is represented.
4. GS monthly DDL kits, GS blog hop kits, Gingerbread Ladies' kits, Monthly Mix kits, etc., are ok, too.

Did I leave anything out in the above list?

I'm happy to hear that retired kits are ok as long as the designer is still with GS. I purged a number of retired kits by several
GS designers that I can put back into their folders now; more than a couple of these kits were my favs. :)

On a final note, as patrons and members of GS, it's important that we support our favorite designers as well as the site (i.e., store) overall so that everyone will be happy, happy, happy about remaining at GS! Besides giving us lots of cool stuff to scrap with, it also protects our own investment in GS. Right? Right!

the51mom
11-08-2014, 05:41 AM
I am suddenly having this message pop up every time I try to upload to the gallery:

<tbody>
Favorites-web.<nobr>jpg (http://forums.gingerscraps.net/#)</nobr> (exceeds filesize limit)

I'm not doing anything differently than the last time I uploaded, which was, I think, Oct. 28th. And now I am getting frustrated LOL! Any help with whatever I am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

</tbody>

kelseyll
11-08-2014, 05:50 AM
So, it has been resized at 600x600? Sometimes this has happened to me and I resize to 550x550 and then it takes it. =)

the51mom
11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
I have resized to 600 X 600 AND 550 X 550 and still get the same error message. I give up. :(

emscraps
11-08-2014, 08:40 PM
How big is the file size? The max is 250k

lorigaud
11-09-2014, 04:33 AM
I honestly have no idea if this makes a difference, but have you saved the layers? (This increases file size, right?) Hopefully I sound like I know what I'm talking about LOL!

I hope you get this figured out... computer issues can be SO frustrating!

GingerScraps
11-09-2014, 04:34 AM
Also, if you can please post the error you are getting, that would be helpful :)

the51mom
11-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Well I have no idea what that was all about, but this morning I was able to upload. Woo Hoo! LOL! I changed nothing from my previous tries. Must have been a gremlin somewhere. Thank you gals for trying to help me!! Enjoy your Sunday.