PDA

View Full Version : Losing Layouts

gethane
12-05-2013, 02:16 AM
In the great computer crash of 08-13, I lost about 10 of my layouts, four of which I was going to put in my Christmas photo book. *sob*

PSA: Remember to back up your layouts!

Ambelleina
12-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Oh nooooooooo. I have everything on my EHD, but I need to get a backup EHD for sure!

AmandaDawnRN
12-05-2013, 02:47 AM
Love my Carbonite!! I was lucky and only lost a few photos in my EHD crash. I have a large memory laptop now but I am filling it quickly so gotta make some decisions soon.

emscraps
12-05-2013, 03:03 AM
HI Gethane, hope all is well...way far from CA :(
Have you settled already?? Thanks for the reminder! I need to back up all the DSD madness, too!!

gethane
12-05-2013, 01:28 PM
We are getting pretty settled. It snowed overnight (like 1/2 an inch) and the children are losing their minds. :) Only California children can find so much fun in so little snow.

msbrad
12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Ohhhh, I'm sorry to hear this. Hoping you can recreate.
m

trina513
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
I can relate, except I want to say the number I lost was about 60 a few years ago (LOs, that doesn't even include the few months of pics I hadn't backed up! SOB!) I was in the process of UL them to get them ordered too! ugh!

back up back up back up!!ust no

gethane
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Oh no! That's terrible Trina! I lost a year of pictures 5 years ago. It was my last year in Nebraska, before I moved to California for law school. I still have the hard drive. Hoping to a have a few hundred spare dollars sometime (hah!) to see if they can be recovered by a recovery company. You'd think I'd learn my lesson. But... apparently not.

StephanieH
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Before paying a few hundred dollars, you could also invest in an external hard drive case. Basically, it's an empty case (cheap on Amazon) that you place the hard drive in. It plugs into your working computer via USB. You can see if you might be able to access the files that are stored on it that way. Especially if it wasn't so much of a hard drive failure as a operating system failure.

gethane
12-06-2013, 02:26 PM
thanks. it was totally hard drive. it made a clicky clacky sound, classic dead hard drive. we did try to access it (in Windows and Linux) and it is just dead. I have moved it three times so far, hoping someday to get those pictures :)

SandyPie
12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
If the layouts are in a gallery somewhere you might consider getting this action (as much as I hate to send you to another store, this one is too good to pass up) WendyZine has an action that she says will take 72 dpi and make them 300 dpi.

http://shop.scrapbookgraphics.com/images/T/WZ_300ppi_200.jpg (http://shop.scrapbookgraphics.com/ACTION-300ppi.html)

For just $3.50 it's worth a shot, rather than beating yourself up. {{hug}} my laptop harddrive crashed a couple years ago, the feeling just can't be described. It was horrible to say the least.

craftytam
12-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh Gethane :( I hope you're able to get them back!

gina329
12-11-2013, 02:15 PM
:( I have done that before. I usually make sure my new LO's are on my external every few months now.