PDA

View Full Version : Super Easy ...Organizing Your Stash!!!!

msbrad
11-22-2013, 02:06 AM
I've never claimed to be the tech-e-ist, but maybe claim to be the most improved...hehe
I've had a ton of recent computer issues. http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/msbrad_photos/Blinkies/MichellesSilverHammersmall.gif (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/msbrad_photos/media/Blinkies/MichellesSilverHammersmall.gif.html)
... and some of the issues were with ACDSee. When I decided to undertake the task the other day and 'start over'....
After my catalog was in place. [yes I started tagging my old fashioned way]
but

I went into Windows 7 > search in the upper right corner - a tagged word from my catalog in ACDSee
my 'test' was "flowers" ...[well duh, most designers have some...]
I let it do its thing....
Then
Ctrl+A to select all....dragged the entire chunk to "flowers" nested under digital elements in my ACDSee catalog...
and guess what??
They were all there!

IF I click on one of the flowers and select "go to file"....whooooo - hooooo!!! takes me to the kit on my hard drive!!
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/msbrad_photos/Blinkies/granny1.gif (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/msbrad_photos/media/Blinkies/granny1.gif.html)

At present not all the metadata is embedded [but then again, if I went the slow way it would not be there yet either...]

Now, here is a disclaimer....IF a designer chose to name items in their kits as elements 1, 2, 3, etc [not a great idea in my opinion, but I'm not in charge...] this will not work.

Anyhow, I will sleep better tonight.
Enjoy.
m

craftytam
11-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Great information, Michelle! Thank you!

I lost my ACDSee about a month ago when I had to do a system restore - I was still using 14 and they only allow 30 days to download :( So I'm finding myself starting over again using the PSE Organizer.

I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm so lost without having my supplies organized!

missdamsel
11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
I do not have ACDsee either. :(

Sarah
11-30-2013, 05:22 PM
That works in Windows 8 and 8.1 as well :D I <3 doing it that way :D

msbrad
11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Tammy, if you paid for a copy of 14, then you should be able to re- install it. They will just have to find the license number and order number.
I have 12 and the disk. I re-installed over the other one. I'd insist on another copy, and then buy the disc so you have a copy.
do not trust just DL or the cloud.
m

craftytam
12-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Thanks, Michelle.
I contacted ACDSee and they reactivated it so I could download again - but only until December 6th. I guess if I have more computer issues after that, I'm going to have to buy it all over again. That seems silly, but I suppose it's normal with software downloads.

msbrad
12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Good luck to you.
m

StephanieH
12-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Tammy - if it's an exe file, save it onto a thumb drive, EHD, or burn it to a CD so you will have it in case you need it later.

trina513
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't have ACDsee either, but I do often search "string" or "button" or "star" and find things for filling in on the LOs, so I LOVE when designers label their elements accordingly!

3BluEyedBabies
12-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I agree, if the elements are labeled, I just use the windows search. My husband put a back up hard drive on Layaway and will probably pick it up with our Christmas stuff soon, so I really need to go through my stash and get rid of stuff (mostly freebies)from back when I started scrapping before I save to the new hard drive thingy! No ACDsee for me, either. Not sure my computer can handle another program!

craftytam
12-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Tammy - if it's an exe file, save it onto a thumb drive, EHD, or burn it to a CD so you will have it in case you need it later.

I didn't know that, Shephanie. Thanks! I'm going to try it!

craftytam
12-03-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't have ACDsee either, but I do often search "string" or "button" or "star" and find things for filling in on the LOs, so I LOVE when designers label their elements accordingly!

I've been using the search for elements, but I LOVE having ACDSee for my templates. I have (well, had) all of my templates tagged for the number of photos so it was easy to find a template with 2 photo spots, for example. It was a REAL time saver!

trina513
12-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah when I unzip my templates I put the number of photo in the name of the template, so if the template had 4 photos, it would say 04_DesignerName_TemplateName

craftytam
12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah when I unzip my templates I put the number of photo in the name of the template, so if the template had 4 photos, it would say 04_DesignerName_TemplateName

So, you rename each file?

msbrad
12-03-2013, 11:05 PM

No need to rename for ACDSee,
In the catalog of categories...I have:
Templates
- 1 photo
- 2 photos
- 3 photos
- 4 photos
- 5 + double pages
just drag to template to tag in correct photo number. When opening that photo number , one can view all templates assigned with that number of pics.
m

Glori2
12-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Now that's a nice ending to a rotten event! WTG!!!

trina513
12-04-2013, 01:47 PM

Yes I do, it really takes like no time (after the initial renaming all my "older" templates before I started this system). I unzip, take an extra 10 sec to rename the 4 (usually) templates in there. Most designers already name them with the DesignerName_TemplateSet naming that I like, so I just add an 04_ or whatever to the beginning.

As far as ACDsee goes, sounds nice, but I'm cheap and don't like to buy extra stuff! LOL :blush