PDA

View Full Version : Drop Shadow Settings

familyhistoryscrapper
11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I've been curious about this for awhile....I love to see how everyone uses their shadows on their layouts and I know we often use different settings for different papers or elements, but I'm curious. What are your favorite drop shadow settings?

Do you use pre-made drop shadows from someone's store? If so I'd love to hear whose, or do you set your own?

I use Photoshop elements 10, so I don't think I can save my own styles permanently (boo), but I've been playing around lately with my shadow settings to see what works best.

So what shadow settings are your go to settings? Do you use a certain lighting angle? Distance, size, opacity or maybe a color?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and settings :)

wanda
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I love to use purchased shadow styles - right now I am using some by Traci Stroud. They give a great starting point and are fast to tweak. I like 120 degrees and no more than 50% opacity. I sometimes like to tweak the colors a little bit.

kpmelly
11-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Itīs difficult to say this in a common way... Different of the programm you use and the page you did.

One is always the same (for me): I never use black for the shadow, itīs so hard. Mostly I use variations of grey or brown (especially on sepia-toned layouts).

And than I orient at reality a little bit: smaller shadows for papers and small thinks, bigger but mostly soft shadows on real flowers and elements. Only a short course of my shadows - but now my daughter waits: wanna look Pirates of the carribean III

SeeYa

janedee
11-03-2013, 07:44 PM
I make my own shadows most of the time. I tend to use a dark shade of whatever element I'm using rather than black all the time. I use small shadows for papers, journal spots (say 8), even smaller for tape (3 ) and larger and more distant for flowers, butterflies, ribbon, etc. Softer shadows for butterflies and harder for ribbon, say.

Hummie
11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Here's an older tutorial of mine that might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUSTOIPAek

I have changed a lot over the years on my drop shadows. It seems now I'm in the habit of lowering the opacity of the shadow whereas I never did that before.

gina329
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I have a few presets but never use them. I normally just play with the shadow until I get it the way I like it.

craftytam
11-06-2013, 08:21 PM
I use this one from Wendy Tunison Designs. I use PSE11 which makes it easier to load styles, but in PSE10 there is a way to load them so that they stay & you don't have to do it over and over again--I'm not a techie so I can't tell you how-there *might* be instructions in the kit, but if not, I've seen lots online.
I love it because it gives 4 different angle options and lots of different element options. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's only $2.50 on sale right now :)
http://store.gingerscraps.net/Me-And-My-Shadow.html
http://store.gingerscraps.net/images/P/wt_MnMS_gs.jpg

Sarah
11-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I use this one from Wendy Tunison Designs. I use PSE11 which makes it easier to load styles, but in PSE10 there is a way to load them so that they stay & you don't have to do it over and over again--I'm not a techie so I can't tell you how-there *might* be instructions in the kit, but if not, I've seen lots online.
I love it because it gives 4 different angle options and lots of different element options. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's only $2.50 on sale right now :)
http://store.gingerscraps.net/Me-And-My-Shadow.html
http://store.gingerscraps.net/images/P/wt_MnMS_gs.jpg

Oh I LOVE Wendy's shadows! I use them ALL THE TIME in PSE 11!!

GingerScraps
11-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Ohhh I will have to check Wendy's out!
I have an awesome set from one of our retired designers Wyld Web Designs.
I'm excited to play with Wendy's now though!!

trina513
11-07-2013, 03:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing Ginger, I have Charmaines and I use that a lot, but I'm excited to try out Wendy's!

Sarah
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM

I have Charmaine's too! I also have a set from Mommyish, from her Facebook.

scrapcrazy
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
I use shadows that I got from a designer at another store! I get compliments on my shadows now! I would definitely suggest purchasing Wendy's shadows! Makes things so much easier and quicker! After reading this though, I may have to start tweaking colors and opacity and see what happens!

Ambelleina
11-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I make my own every single time and they're always different, every single time! Sometimes I use linear burn, sometimes just a normal drop shadow, sometime close, sometime further away, different angles, etc. The only thing that's consistent is flatter elements that would normally be ON the paper have less shadow than a bigger button or something that would have more dimension, those have more shadow.

familyhistoryscrapper
11-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Thanks everyone for all the ideas and suggestions :) I've learned alot and can't wait to check out Wendy's Shadows as well!!

crazyT
11-12-2013, 05:25 AM
oh I think I might have to get Wendy's too.. I was just looking through the gallery and wondering this same question.. whohooo glad I peeked in here.

crazyT
11-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Your video is aweome Hummie.. I learned a lot that I didn't know or understand by watching it!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Here's an older tutorial of mine that might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUSTOIPAek

I have changed a lot over the years on my drop shadows. It seems now I'm in the habit of lowering the opacity of the shadow whereas I never did that before.

msbrad
11-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I have shadows from several including Wendy. However hers is currently lost on my computer. Sure hope it's in the other EHD ...
I often, just do my own.
m

Ponytails
11-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I use Wendy's too, as a starting point. They're gorgeous and often they are perfect on their own. Sometimes I like to tweak them a little depending on the element or the colour of the background paper.

MSPeeler
11-17-2013, 04:18 AM
I make my own every single time and they're always different, every single time! Sometimes I use linear burn, sometimes just a normal drop shadow, sometime close, sometime further away, different angles, etc. The only thing that's consistent is flatter elements that would normally be ON the paper have less shadow than a bigger button or something that would have more dimension, those have more shadow.

oh Tina... Always the difficult one aren't you? LOL j/k!!

mariewilcox
11-22-2013, 05:27 PM
I use PSE so there's only so much I can do - Like I know you can warp in CS etc. To be honest I have no idea if I can change the color of a shadow in PSE or not!

As far as settings go I never go above 60% opacity and less for certain things. I just think of the layout as a paper layout and think about what things would be chunkier and have a larger shadow. Papers don't have a thick shadow so I usually either use 10 and 8 or 12 and 10. I really dislike papers that "float" way upon a page because to me that just doesn't look "real." KWIM? Oh, and I usually use a 45 degree light angle - no idea why but that's just what I do hehe

Sarah
11-22-2013, 05:42 PM
To be honest I have no idea if I can change the color of a shadow in PSE or not!

Yeah, you can. At least in the versions I've used (9-11) :D

mariewilcox
11-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh cool, I just upgraded from 8 to 11 (big jump I know!) so I'll have to google some tuts :)

Hummie
11-22-2013, 07:57 PM
It's all the same... same things, just different interface. It is the biggest change in interface and I do not like it. I do not like the stuff at the bottom taking up my space.

You can learn about all the changes to help you in my two videos here.

http://www.hummiesworld.com/c1/course1guideadditional.html

Let me know if you have more questions.

mariewilcox
11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
I've been using it for a while now and I've gotten used to the new interface. I just have no idea how to change the shadow colors but I'll find out! :D

mariewilcox
11-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Well jeez, I just opened it up and never noticed the little block of color right there in plain site :36_1_42: