PDA

View Full Version : Photo Scanning

scrappingirl
10-23-2013, 10:11 PM
So I am just wondering how you all scan your pre-digital photos? Do you scan them yourselves? Take them somewhere? Anyone tried one of those companies that you mail them off and they do it for you? I am wanting to get all my photos scanned, but my scanner is not high quality and I don't love how the pictures are looking when they are scanned. I am a little leery of mailing them off somewhere...what if they get lost or ruined?? And I don't know of anywhere local. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or an online company that they loved and did amazing work, but didn't charge an arm and a leg? TIA! :)

msbrad
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I scan my own. Either at 300 dpi or 600 dpi.
THEN
I photo edit- here is one example- including a tutorial, well, it is what I did....And It has been printed.
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/msbrad_photos/before_after/beforeandaftergreatgrandmother.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/msbrad_photos/media/before_after/beforeandaftergreatgrandmother.jpg.html)
m
ps- I love to photo restore. This was done several years ago in just pse 5... I have had most all pse programs and now use CS5.

Colleen
10-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't have the time or desire to scan all my negatives. I would love to hear if someone has used a service!!!

craftytam
10-25-2013, 05:45 PM
I had started scanning my grandpa's old slides, but I really wasn't happy with the quality - even after cleaning them with professional stuff that I bought from a photo supplier, they still had junk on them...so I stopped. I have TONS of negatives & slides I want to get scanned - it's on my wish list!
If I need an individual photo that is pre-digital (like my one of Sleeping Beauty's castle for the 1st Survivor challenge), I either take a photo of it or scan it, but I don't do them in bulk.

Colleen
10-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I have just been taking photos of photos when I need one from pre-digital for scrapbooking. I have a huge plastic tote of photos and negatives that need scanning that are just mine. I also have stuff of my parents and my grandma. Way to huge of a task for me to do by myself!!!

msbrad
10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I have just been taking photos of photos when I need one for pre-digital for scrapbooking. I have a huge plastic tote of photos and negatives that need scanning that are just mine. I also have stuff of my parents and my grandma. Way to huge of a task for me to do by myself!!!
That works well too.
m

scrappingirl
10-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I am with you guys....a big tote of pictures to be scanned and I don't want to do it myself! I also am looking for a trustworthy company to do it for me!

Colleen
10-28-2013, 12:10 AM
I came across this article when I was searching negative scanning sites. http://www.techhive.com/article/2000199/the-best-and-worst-services-for-digitizing-your-photos.html

I think I'm going to give ScanCafe (http://www.scancafe.com/services/valuekit-product/) a try. I like that they allow you to pick and choose which photos you want from the scans without having to buy them (I think you can only discard 20% of them though)!

scrappingirl
10-28-2013, 08:28 PM
They look pretty good...definitely let us know how they turn out and how you like them!

Colleen
10-28-2013, 11:26 PM
I will do that! I am just going to send a rolls worth of 35 mm negatives to sample them! I am tempted to include a photo or two I have without a negative as well just to see how they look. :)
They look pretty good...definitely let us know how they turn out and how you like them!

Hummie
10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Um, isn't this what husband's are for?

At least this is what my husband is for!

We've been blessed with a lot of old photos.

I know we've already scanned in 1,000's of them, so paying someone else is not cost effective.

We got a Kodak portable scanner (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/178-4678800-3194012?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kodak%20portable%20scanner&sprefix=kodak+portab%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akodak%20portable%20scanner).

What a life saver!

It scanned at 600 ppi for us.

All you have to do is to stick it in one side and it comes out the other and then it goes on to a little card like in your camera.

It sure beats lifting a lid, positioning, doing a scan, cropping, rescanning, etc that I have to do from my regular printer/scanner combo.

It eventually developed a line on it, so we have to get another one, but certainly cheaper than having someone else do it.

Or worse yet, having my precious photos lost in the mail!

Colleen
10-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, darn! Now you have me interested in this! ;) :P lol I like that you don't have to lift a cover!! I also like that it scans negatives. Some of the negative scanners I was looking at looked to be a pain to use. Hmmmm - I might really be considering purchasing this! lol

It's such a tough call what to do! lol

Um, isn't this what husband's are for?

At least this is what my husband is for!

We've been blessed with a lot of old photos.

I know we've already scanned in 1,000's of them, so paying someone else is not cost effective.

We got a Kodak portable scanner (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/178-4678800-3194012?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kodak%20portable%20scanner&sprefix=kodak+portab%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akodak%20portable%20scanner).

What a life saver!

It scanned at 600 ppi for us.

All you have to do is to stick it in one side and it comes out the other and then it goes on to a little card like in your camera.

It sure beats lifting a lid, positioning, doing a scan, cropping, rescanning, etc that I have to do from my regular printer/scanner combo.

It eventually developed a line on it, so we have to get another one, but certainly cheaper than having someone else do it.

Or worse yet, having my precious photos lost in the mail!

familyhistoryscrapper
10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I have a portable scanner also. Have the regular one too and have used that for years, but got the portable more recently. Talk about awesome. Took it to a family reunion and scanned photos with ease. Took it to my in-laws without a computer and just scanned away! Photos come out great! Trust me...I'm big on high quality historical photos....the handheld portable scanner is fantastic and super easy!

StephanieH
10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
I've been following this because I have a ton of photos to scan plus I have the negatives from our wedding pictures. I would love to have those digitally.

I love hearing about personal experiences with these portable ones. Thanks!!

scrappingirl
10-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I am definitely interested in this as well!! Which one do you have, Hummie?? Do you think they will go on a cyber-Monday sale or is the sale now the best it will be? Any ideas? This looks SOOO much easier than a standard scanner and I love the idea of it going on a card and I LOVE high quality!

Well, darn! Now you have me interested in this! ;) :P lol I like that you don't have to lift a cover!! I also like that it scans negatives. Some of the negative scanners I was looking at looked to be a pain to use. Hmmmm - I might really be considering purchasing this! lol

It's such a tough call what to do! lol

gina329
11-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I have a scanner made by Wolverine that I bought for negatives and slides that I used for my husband's grandfather. I had some slides from the 1940's and they came out beautiful. I am kinda bummed that it sits under my desk unused after I finished scanning everything.

meagan43
11-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I, too, have been shopping for one. Which Wolverine? I have seen some bad reviews of some of them. I would love to hear brands to look for from everyone that has one and loves how it works. I am hoping to get one for Christmas and would love to get a portable one.

janedee
11-05-2013, 12:25 AM
I sent some slides in to Scan Digital as a trial run a couple of years ago. I sent a few really old slides which were washed out and they didn't really fix anything just scanned them and sent them back. I complained and they offered to redo them (I would have had to send them back again) but I felt they should have been done right the first time. I haven't had the nerve to try it again since.

gina329
11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
This is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Digital-Converter-2-4-Inches-TV-Out/dp/B002TKMG92

I do think people get this and expect your pictures to be perfect but don't take into consideration how long the slides have been stored and probably not stored correctly.

I, too, have been shopping for one. Which Wolverine? I have seen some bad reviews of some of them. I would love to hear brands to look for from everyone that has one and loves how it works. I am hoping to get one for Christmas and would love to get a portable one.

ScrappyCoyote
11-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Portable scanner - added to my Amazon Wish List!! WooHoo!

janedee
11-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Love the idea of a portable scanner!!

familyhistoryscrapper
11-09-2013, 11:16 PM
This is the scanner I have...I love it. Have never used it for negatives though as my older desktop scanner had an awesome negative scanning feature so I pull that big monster out if I want to scan negatives :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-P811BK-Personal-Negative-Scanner/dp/B004S9RWRS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384042530&sr=8-2&keywords=kodak+portable+scanner

craftytam
11-18-2013, 06:36 PM
The most recent episode of The Digi Show had a lady on talking about scanning & digitizing. She had a lot of good information.

ScrappyCoyote
12-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for this thread!! After reading - I looked around on Amazon and I decided on this portable scanner (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044SBZMG/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1)since it took up to 5 x 7 photos. I paid $42.88 for the scanner on Amazon Prime, so no shipping and it arrived in 2 days.

Works wonderfully. I have a Mac, so I have no use for the included Kodak Easy Share software (that works on PC only). I scanned some photos and rather than hooking it into my computer via the included USB cable, I merely removed the adapter card and plugged that into the slot on my Mac.. and bingo! Photos! Very nice scans. I used the default 600 resolution. You can change that to 300.

Very happy! Now I can grab those old photos and go to town! I love not having to raise the lid and do other selections. Thanks again. Great.. no AWESOME thread!!

lnewhouse
12-07-2013, 02:20 AM
I have a flatbed scanner I use and have been happy with that. I love the results of your photo restoration!