PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Creative Cloud Question

Jacque
08-28-2013, 04:15 PM
so i do know the basic concept of Adobe CC! what i'm wanting to know for those who are using it...is this the way Adobe (and other companies are going permanently) ? where eventually u can no longer purchase the software and keep it til its warn and old and out of date????

or am i missing something???? i originally thought this was an 'option' while you could still purchase the full software if you chose to. but from what i've read and seen it looks like CC is its own version and they are phasing out non membership versions...so u pay for life or else.

Sarah
08-28-2013, 04:22 PM
That's pretty much how I understood it as well.
It seems, also, like you'll be paying more in the long run than what you'd pay if you shelled out the money at the beginning.

Jacque
08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
that's MY thoughts too sarah. a LOT more. its convenient to get EVERYTHING (not that the average user will ever use it) and FREE upgrades...but i have to say if this IS how its working...after 20 plus years of using and supporting Adobe...I'm really disappointed in them. They should have BOTH options!

Sarah
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I think, in their mind, they do, with Elements. :/
Everything is being moved online. It's crazy how much we rely on the internet now. Heck, my daughter doesn't have a science book this year (she's in 5th grade). It's all online!

Colleen
08-28-2013, 05:22 PM
WHOA - she has an online book for 5th grade?!? She attends a school, right? It's not an online class?... That's insane!

Okay, I have to go read about Adobe Creative Cloud now.
I think, in their mind, they do, with Elements. :/
Everything is being moved online. It's crazy how much we rely on the internet now. Heck, my daughter doesn't have a science book this year (she's in 5th grade). It's all online!

Sarah
08-28-2013, 05:24 PM
WHOA - she has an online book for 5th grade?!? She attends a school, right? It's not an online class?... That's insane!

Okay, I have to go read about Adobe Creative Cloud now.

Yeah, full brick-and-mortar school, but that subject is all online. It's cheaper for the school that way. Instead of having to do the books and things like that, all of it's online.
A lot of their math and reading work is online as well. One of the spelling requirements is an online site.

Jacque
08-28-2013, 05:29 PM
the whole online thing is a completely different RAGE issue for me. we still have millions of people in the US alone who cannot get hi speed internet access and for those of us like me who have to use satellite we pay more and can only use so much. that voids me of most cloud stuff and if my kids were in school i'd be engraged!!!!

however, aside from that...one good thing about online books...MANY students have no books, their books are over a decade out of date, and in many cases up to 5 students SHARE a book. this at least allows them to have the newest up to date info, not hurt their backs carrying a ton of books, and not losing them...(this cannot happen: MOM: do your homework CHILD: i can find my book!) LOL

Jacque
08-28-2013, 05:31 PM
oh and sarah...u r right about ELEMENTS (for now anyway) but they still kicked their users in the butt with that one. i (and many) r set in our ways...i have always used PS and elements freaks me out and does not allow me my full potential.

also...elements is ONLY PS and Premier. that does not cover the apprx. 30 other programs

Sarah
08-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Well, her science is only done at school. Even if they're sick, they're not required to make up that at home, because not everyone has internet (or reliable one, since I found out just recently that my local cable company, while they don't charge for "overages", they do throttle after a certain point, which is always when the kids are home from school).

StephanieH
08-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm hoping Adobe gets enough backlash with this that they reverse course. We use Adobe Illustrator at work and my boss isn't going to be happy when he realizes (although I've warned him) that to upgrade from CS5, and stay current, he's going to have to pay monthly. I am not looking forward to THAT conversation.

It's because of work that I have a copy of PS CS5 and am learning to use it, but have a feeling I'm going to be headed to Elements before it's all over and done with. We don't use PS at work (was an upgrade to Design Premium that got us this copy) so an upgrade to the cloud version isn't going to happen.

Sarah
08-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I used CS4 before I switched to PSE.
The ONLY thing missing is the ability to save a RAW file right in the editor as a JPG. Instead you have to open it up in PSE completely and save that way.

Jacque
08-28-2013, 07:06 PM
actually sarah...there is a LOT more than that missing...however, the average user doesn't need or use it so its not as noticeable.

Adobe made a bad move with CC but it would be disastrous to make PSE and PS the same minus Raw. Why would anyone purchase the several hundred dollar more program.

Elements is a user friendly program...PS was created for people in the professional field who start and do everything from scratch. the size of the program alone will tell u the difference is HUGE! (only comparing PSE and PS...not the Suite)

Nani
08-28-2013, 10:06 PM
I used Elements when I switched from Mac to Windows until I got my Photoshop CS5 for school. I used Photoshop CS on the Mac before that. My opinion, the difference between Elements and Photoshop is much bigger than the difference between Mac and Windows. Elements for those of us that aren't with big creative firms is not an acceptable substitution if we've been using Photoshop.

When I talked to Adobe customer service they told me that I can continue using CS5 and didn't have to use Creative Cloud. CC starts with Photoshop CS6. I can continue using CS5 like I always have but they won't be creating any more updates for it. I suppose that could eventually mean the program won't be compatible with future Windows updates. But maybe by then Adobe will have felt the backlash from creative hobbyists and small businesses to take their heads out of their corporate elitist butts. If not I hope some talented developer creates a comparable alternative for the customers Adobe has left behind.

I ranted about this in my blog a while back. It's the third "random item" in that entry if you'd like to look.

The Spice of Nani (http://chroniclesofnani.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-spice-of-nani.html)

Jacque
08-29-2013, 05:40 AM
i don't think its an acceptable substitution either...because PS is all i've known for years (not with any firm either)

i do however, tell those who are new, fairly new, or not doing any major stuff to go for PSE...cheaper, more user friendly, and no habits to break :)

i noticed on your blog it your CS5 educational came with 2 licesenses. did you purchase those? are they 2 separate licenses? or can u use the same one on a desktop/laptop like u use to be able to do. i want to add mine to laptop for lighting storm issues :)

Nani
08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
It came with 2 so it can be on any 2 devices. The educational is really not a special license, just an special price. Even with tuition for the course added, I saved abut 40% on the software. I have CS5 on my main computer and on my husband's. When he switched to digital photography, he needed to be able to work with RAW and he used the bridge to organize photos. At that time when I called them they said I could use my licenses however I wanted so putting it on my husband's computer was fine.

What had me talking to customer service again was that I wanted to get a smaller laptop for travel and wanted to buy a third license so I could have PS on another laptop. I was told I can't buy any additional licenses, but I can switch to the cloud and purchase three that way. THREE a month so I can have Photoshop when I travel? Really? I'll probably use Elements on the travel laptop when I decide to get it since it's something I won't use all that often. Still, if a decent competitor offers a comparable product, I'm more than willing to switch to a more customer friendly company than Adobe has become.

msbrad
08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
I have CS5, ( extended 64 bit and purchased with an educators discount). I love the program. I also have most of the PSE versions starting back to version 0 and Lightroom 4. Although I can get a yearly discount with Adobe for CC, I'm not. I do not trust what they will do with the price once the year is up.
Count me in with the many who are disappointed with Adobe's decision. I plan to keep my CS5 as long as it works.

I guess I could fire up my Corel PSP x3 and learn it better.
m

Jacque
08-29-2013, 03:17 PM
hmmmmmm i gotta go through my stuff and find the other license

StephanieH
08-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Jacque - all you have to do is install it on a second computer with the same license number. There aren't two separate numbers. When it validates it online, Adobe's system knows it is the second activation.

That being said, if you need to uninstall for any reason, make sure to Deactivate it first before you uninstall. That frees up the second license to be installed on any new machine you may want.

Jacque
08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
thanks stephanie...i was looking all over my stuff and couldn't find another one LOL