PDA

View Full Version : One Breath Away - August Discussion Thread

BlueHeartScraps
08-08-2013, 02:15 AM
This month, we're reading One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf. I downloading my copy last week and poured through the book in less than 24 hours (probably about 6-8 hours of actual reading time). It's been a long time since I read a book that fast, but One Breath Away sucked me in hard, and I simply couldn't stop turning the pages! :) Have you picked up your copy, yet? If not, don't worry, there's still time.

The August Book Club Chat is scheduled for Monday, August 19th, but while we're preparing to share our thoughts in the chatroom, here are a few discussion questions to read over and ponder as you read through the story (or after you're done with it).

Since we had a much shorter time span for this month's book, I'm pulling the lazy card and taking some of the discussion questions directly from the author's website. :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One Breath Away is set in a sudden snow storm. What role does the weather play in the story, both literally and metaphorically?
One Breath Away is told from multiple points of views. What do we learn about the characters from the perspective of their families? What do we learn about Holly from her father? About Augie from her grandfather? About Mrs. Oliver from Cal? etc.
The gunman in the story poses a physical threat to the children in Broken Branch and several characters are determined to protect the children—Mrs. Oliver, Meg, Augie. In what other ways do characters try to protect each other? How do they succeed? How do they fail?
The students at the Broken Branch School have a day to remember. What is your most vivid school memory? What made it so memorable?
One school. One gunman. Your child. What would you do as a parent if you got that call?

B2N2Scraps
08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Number 5 is such a hard question! I imagine I would panic and then I would frantically go to the school and wait outside and cry the whole time. But it's hard to say for sure!

littleradtrio
08-11-2013, 06:17 PM
I have started reading it. So far so good, I'm only about a 1/4 of the way into it.

missdamsel
08-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Last time I checked our library didn't have this, maybe I spelled something wrong because when I checked just now one if our libraries has it!! I just requested it be transferred. Lets see how quick that happens!!

DianaB
08-13-2013, 03:44 PM
This was such an amazing book. Thanks for picking it, ladies. I'm still kind of processing it all. I will respond to the discussion questions in a couple days.

B2N2Scraps
08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Glad you liked it!

scrappingirl
08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
I am a little over halfway through the book, and I am LOVING it!! So, so good. And hard to put down! Great pick!

B2N2Scraps
08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
It's always a relief to hear that people really like a book that I really liked!

littleradtrio
08-15-2013, 09:07 PM
I finished it. It was good and I did guess the gunman right! :)

scrapjrlgcp
08-16-2013, 01:12 AM
I need to get reading....my goal: read at least 50 pgs before I go to bed tonight :)

B2N2Scraps
08-16-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm on page 34 :blush but I read it before. I'm hoping to get more reading done this weekend. At least I hope so because the chat is on Monday!

DianaB
08-16-2013, 04:32 AM
I finished it. It was good and I did guess the gunman right! :)

He wasn't my first thought, but I figured it out a bit before they said who it was. :)

BlueHeartScraps
08-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Same here for the gunman. And, I agree with Becky - it's always nice to hear people say they love the same book I loved reading. :)

B2N2Scraps
08-18-2013, 03:13 PM
I posted the scrap your read challenge for August. I hope you can play along! http://forums.gingerscraps.net/showthread.php?23063-August-s-Scrap-Your-Read-Challenge&p=271048#post271048

DianaB
08-19-2013, 04:50 AM
What time is the chat tomorrow????

Ricki
08-19-2013, 06:00 AM
What time is the chat tomorrow????

8PM CST.

B2N2Scraps
08-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks for answering that question for us!

I finally finished reading it last night. I was afraid that I wasn't going to get it done in time for the chat! I'll have to make sure I read the next book earlier :)

littleradtrio
08-19-2013, 03:07 PM
I really hope I'm able to join in with the chat. :)

B2N2Scraps
08-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Don't forget about the book club chat in just about 10 minutes!

Ricki
08-20-2013, 07:53 AM
I would have loved to come, I have never attended this kind of chat, but that is so late for me!

Not always am I up, 5 in the morning :)
.....actually 4 but still late......

scrappingirl
08-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Dang, I totally missed it!! :(

scrapjrlgcp
09-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I finished the book last night a little late but I got it read :) I liked it and I enjoyed the way it was written from several points of view and so true you never know when a person will just snap and want to take people down with him. I loved the teacher's role and i thought she was the best character and so believable. I would like to think all teachers feel that way about their students :) Yesterday and HS not far from me was on lockdown and one student was stabbed to death and a few others injured..it really shows how this book is not far from the truth and events like this can happen at any time...which is so sad! Here is a link to the news story from yesterday in case any of you are interested: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9235459

missdamsel
09-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I finished a few days ago and my mom is reading it now.

B2N2Scraps
09-06-2013, 02:14 AM
I finished the book last night a little late but I got it read :) I liked it and I enjoyed the way it was written from several points of view and so true you never know when a person will just snap and want to take people down with him. I loved the teacher's role and i thought she was the best character and so believable. I would like to think all teachers feel that way about their students :) Yesterday and HS not far from me was on lockdown and one student was stabbed to death and a few others injured..it really shows how this book is not far from the truth and events like this can happen at any time...which is so sad! Here is a link to the news story from yesterday in case any of you are interested: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9235459

Oh my gosh! How scary. My cousins live in Spring, TX. Like you said, you never know!

scrapjrlgcp
09-06-2013, 02:24 AM
I hope none of them had to go thru that!

mom2triplets04
09-21-2013, 01:05 AM
I did read this during the summer. I work at a school and I know how scary it can be.

mom2triplets04
09-21-2013, 01:17 AM
<tbody>
This was a quick read for me. I was a bit hesitant about reading it since the story takes place in a school with a gunman but I read it for a book club read. The chapters were really short and switched between five different characters in a 8 hour time frame. Since I have been involved in lockdown drills at school lots of questions came to my mind while reading this what would happen if a real lockdown should really happen? I didn't figure out who the intruder was it was until about a chapter before it was announced. It did keep me reading to the bitter end. I haven't read any of the authors other books but will be checking them out

</tbody>

B2N2Scraps
09-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Glad you liked it Laura. I work in a school too and have had plenty of lock down drills as well. I keep wondering what the kids are thinking during this drill. It's sad that we have to practice it. We just had a crisis meeting run by the local police liaison and something about the meeting really hit me hard. I think it was when he told us about practicing with preschools and telling them to find the smallest spot and hide and stay quiet. I have 2 four year olds and I almost started crying thinking about my kids in that situation.