PDA

View Full Version : Question for all of you about your grandparents

littleradtrio
07-24-2013, 07:51 PM
What do you call your grandparents (or what do your kids call your parents)?

My boys call my mom "Ma" and my dad is "Papa". My in-laws are Grandma Hazel and Grandpa Lowell. I am Mom or Mommy and my mom is "Ma". It's kinda funny because it really throws people off when they hear my kids calling her "Ma". But that is what my dad calls her and all of us kids do too, so it stuck with my boys too.

Here's a little story I just have to share. My mom and my oldest son were shopping when my son was about 3 or 4. My mom told my son to pick out a toy tractor and she would buy it for him. The store clerk said to my son "Wow, you are lucky to have such a nice Mom!"
My son replied, "That's not my Mom! It's my Ma!"
The clerk looked at my mom funny and my Mom had to explain that she was his grandma and he calls her "Ma". hehe

prettyingreen
07-24-2013, 08:10 PM
my mom is Grammy Becki, and my Mother in Law is Grammy or Grammy April, and then my Father in Law is Papa

Lisa
07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
My son calls my mom & dad Grandma & Grandpa, he calls my MIL Grandma Carol. My grandmother liked to be called Nanna.

missdamsel
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
My parents are Granny and Granddad.

My grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa.

My husband and I are Missa and PeaPaw.

My sister and her husband are Mimi and PopPop.

(I hope you are asking for a new grandparents kit! I would love a new great kit that I don't have to make up my own word art! lol)

sladd79054
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
My 10 year old calls my in-laws big grammy and big grampy (even though they are not big lol) and he calls my parents other grammy and grampy.

My 8 year old refers to my inlaws as 443 and my parents as 442 because that is the beginning of their phone numbers and that stuck with him but when he is actually at their home it is grammy and boomie and the same for my parents when he is at their house.

Sarah
07-24-2013, 10:00 PM
My parents are Grandma and Grandpa. My FIL is Pappaw. My MIL was Mammaw before she passed away.

I had a Mammaw and Pappaw, a Grandma and Grandpa, and a Nana and Papa.

StarWarsFans
07-24-2013, 10:36 PM
I didn't want to have to use last names to distinguish grandparents by. So, my parents (who live a block away) are Grandma and Grandpa. Ryan's parents are Mam Maw and Pap Paw.

Ricki
07-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Okay, this is a bit funny sounding :), my Jewish side.

In our family my mothers side were Zadie and Bobi, [Zadie is Grandpa and Bobi is Grandma], and on my fathers side it was Grandpa and Grandma. This was so we wouldn't mix up with the two pairs. These days it's just Grandma+name and Grandpa+name.

But the Zadie and Bobi sure stuck to my kids!

emscraps
07-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Hmm...I'm from the Philippines, so it's all completely different. The kids call my mom--Nanay--which actually means mother. My dad is Tatay--which means father. Trish, I live super close to my parents, too....2 houses down the street! There is only one house in between us, lol! I love it!!

But they also call other grandparents Lolo and Lola (grandpa and grandma) these are the traditional Filipino names for grandparents.

Colleen
07-25-2013, 01:47 PM
My kids call my parents Grams and Grumps.

My kids call my in-laws Grandma {Denise} and Grandpa {Glenn}.

msbrad
07-26-2013, 12:24 AM
ok- my side of this....
my dad's side...no history as all passed on very early...
my mom's side....Grandma, the only grandparent I met, although I met my dad's grandfather, but did not have a name for him.

DH's side... Granddaddy and Grammie seemed to work for both sides

Our DD said Grandma and Poppy for my parents, and Grammie and 'More Daddy" for Bill's parents- a funny story I need to scrap.

Our older grandson calls up Granddad and Grandma

now for the munchkin, who turned one on Saturday...we are just 'noise', LOL sometimes... I am "ah Gee Gee" with up stretched arms. Hoping the child speaks English one day.
m

Ricki
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
now for the munchkin, who turned one on Saturday...we are just 'noise', LOL sometimes... I am "ah Gee Gee" with up stretched arms. Hoping the child speaks English one day.
m

:D

msbrad
07-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Ricki, I figure he will talk one day.
m

emscraps
07-26-2013, 01:19 AM
ah Gee Gee....I LOVE it!! You definitely need to scrap a photo of him with his arms up!! Tooo cute!

Tamie
07-26-2013, 01:29 AM
My grandchildren call me (memaw) and they call my husband (papa) they call their other sets of grandparents grandma and grandpa.
I was very young when I had my first one, which my mother was very young to be a grandma (so she thought) she had my oldest call her G' (short for grandma) Marie (Gmarie) it was kind of a family joke. Till she was about 4-5 when I had my other two. Now Toni is 31 and call's my mom GMarie for giggles :) Ohhh and my grandchildren call my mom "The Queen" lol she refuses to be a great-grandma just yet.

msbrad
07-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks Em--- I figure the little ones will 'name' how they choose.
m

Ricki
07-26-2013, 02:40 AM
I sure hope so! Yep, a photo of that would be awesome :)
Cute munchkin....

littleradtrio
07-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Its so fun hearing the little stories and all the different names for grandparents. Too fun.

Ambelleina
07-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I answered this on FB, but I'll answer here too! I called my grandfather on my mom's side grandpa, but it comes out more like "grampaw," haha. :)

(As a sidenote, Grandpa called ME mijita, which sounds like "meeHEEta" and literally translates to "my little daughter/girl.")

My great-grandparents on my mom's side, I called them what sounds like "wiLEEto" and "wiLEEta," which is a slightly shortened version of saying the full Spanish words abuelito and abuelita (meaning little grandfather and little grandmother in Spanish. I don't know why it has little in there, but it just did lol).

If this is for a kit, I'd love to see abuelo/abuelito and abuela/abuelita in there. ^_^

ILuvCrush
07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Hehehe when my grand kids start arriving (years from now I hope!) ill have to remember Grams and Grumps lol!
Grumps suits my husband perfectly!

My mom we call Nanna
And my grandma is Great Grandma
My husbands grandmas are 'Gram' and 'Nan'
My father in law is Pappy Joe (toms step dad)
My other Father in law is Pappy Potts (Toms dad)

Otherwise, except for my dad, everyone else is grandma 'first name'

We had a tough time with grandparents when my son (now 18) was little.
At the time the poor kid had like a dozen grandparents lol!

My mom and dad
My maternal grandmother
My maternal great grandmother
Toms mom
Toms stepdad
Toms dad
Toms stepmom
Toms maternal grandma
Toms paternal grandma
Toms stepmom's mom

My dads mom we all called Mummum. She passed away a few weeks before I found out I was expecting Kyle, so my kids never got to know her :(

CathyK
07-26-2013, 03:35 PM
It's so interesting reading everyone's names and stories.

My kids call their grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.
I called my grandparents Mamaw and Papaw.
I called my great-grandmother, who was alive for most of my childhood, Grandmother, because that's what my dad called her.

littleradtrio
07-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Wow! There are definitely tons of names for grandparents! I'm going to have some fun with this. :)

scrappinbella
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
My parents were called Abuela and Abuelo(the latin side)
My inlaws were called grandma and grandpa(the Italian side)
And now that they are great parents they are still called grandma and grandpa..but when my kids talk about them they refer to them as great grandpa and great grandma
My husband and I are called Bella(short for abuela) and Papi(Cuban's call our daddy's papi or it can also be used as endearment for a man eg.."ay papi" or "oye papi")...plus these names also differentiated us from the other set of grandparents who are grammie and grandad

scrappinbella
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Wow! There are definitely tons of names for grandparents! I'm going to have some fun with this. :)

what kind of fun are you planning....lol

littleradtrio
07-26-2013, 11:23 PM
what kind of fun are you planning....lol

You'll just have to wait and see.....:innocentsmily:

HJsMyles
07-27-2013, 01:49 AM
My grandma and grandpa have turned Ito GiGi and Pamps. We recently named Pamps, Grumps! Some others are: PopPop, Pappy, Paps or Pap for short. Nanny or Nan for shirt.

rdjrneace
07-27-2013, 06:36 PM
I always wanted to be Mamaw & Papaw but my daughter married a man who had a much older sister who already had kids so that set had the name. So not to confuse the kids, we are Grandma and Grandpa.

My grandparents were Mamaw & Papaw and then the other set were Granny Florence and Pa Florence.

Now that there is actually 3 generations alive for my grandkids, we have Granny who is my mother and then my husbands mother is Great Grandma (since she is Great Grandma -- she is actually lucky that she has 11 great grandchildren).

mariewilcox
08-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I called my grandfathers Grampie and Gunky (don't ask! LOL)
My grandmothers were Nanny and Gram

My children had Nana and Bumpy and have Grammie and Grampie.

My granddaughter calls me Mimi and she calls her other grandparents Grammie and Grampie.

cherekaye
08-01-2013, 05:58 PM
This is a fun thread!

I had Nanny and Pawpaw (on my dad's side), and Grandma and Papa (on my mom's side).

My daughters have Grandma and Grandpa (on my side) and Gammy and Pop (on my hubby's side).

My parents were Grammy and Poppi to my girls, but they died before there was too close a relationship there.

emscraps
08-16-2013, 03:43 PM
WOOHOO!! LOVE the new kit and how you totally incorporated all the different names!! You totally rock!!

littleradtrio
08-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks Em! I'm glad you love it. I had so much fun making it.

WOOHOO!! LOVE the new kit and how you totally incorporated all the different names!! You totally rock!!

Ricki
08-17-2013, 10:24 AM
What a beautiful kit Jennifer! Such cozy colors :)
Loved the WA, it seems all the names are there!

MSPeeler
08-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Cute!

My Dad's parents are Pop-Pop & Grandma
My Mom's parents are Mema & Bampa

My kids call my Dad & step-mom: Pop-Pop & Nay Nay
My Mom & step-dad: E-ma & Papaw
My Mil & Fil are Grandmommy & Grandaddy

We got a barrel of names going!!! lol

nutsaboutgabe
08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
My son calls my mom "Grandma" and my step-father "Grandpa".
He calls my MIL "Abuela" since she is Argentinian.
He calls my Step-Father's Mother "Oma"

He doesn't have many grandparents. The rest of the "grandparents" and "great grandparents" are deceased, unfortunately.

When I was younger each of my grandparents were "Grandma", "Grandpa" and "Oma and Opa" (for my stepfather's parents).

LyllahRaven
09-13-2013, 03:53 PM
To my children, my parents are "Nanny" and "Papa". My grandparents are "Granny" and "Papa Joe" and "Grand Dad"

Neverland Scraps
09-13-2013, 04:25 PM
My grandparents were Mum-Mum and Pop-Pop (my mom's parents) as well as Grammy and Pappy (my dad's parents)
My great grandmother, the only one I knew (well remembered) was Nana
My husband's grandparents were Mother and Uncle Chet

My kids call my parents Mee-Mom and Grumpy.
They call my husbands parents Mammie and Papa

Me, I am Mama. I wont respond to anything else, not mother, mom, mommie, etc. I will always be Mama! <3

I loved reading what everyone calls their grandparents and parents!!

I had to come back and say the family kit was an amazing collection!! I love the extended family addon!! Such a great idea!