PDA

View Full Version : Noooooo! That moment when you've been working on a layout for an hour without saving.

gethane
07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
And *poof* somehow you close the program and it doesn't ask you to save! I still don't know how it happened!

emscraps
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
EEK! that totally stinks when that happens! Hope you can recreate it somehow. Maybe it was a sign, the next time you make the layout, you'll think of other things instead?? Good luck!!

jillgarrison
07-12-2013, 04:48 PM
I had that happen last week! OMG it blows!!!! I had worked on a layout for a competition I'm participating on - one where you couldnt use photos just journaling and elements and whatnot - ..... I had typed out a very long page describing where my children got their names from. When along comes my two year that saw the blue flashing light on the computer tower and proceeded to push the reset button. I was rather ticked off.

Sorry, the program magically closed... that stinks!

emscraps
07-12-2013, 04:52 PM
OMG, Jill!! Hope you were able to remember part of the journaling, complete with the emotion, too!!

Ambelleina
07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Lol, I am a habitual ctrl+S'er. When I was living in the dorm my freshman year of college, we had a power surge and I lost a page of a final paper I had been writing. Ever since then, I ctrl+s pretty much every time I make a change in anything, home or work!

jillgarrison
07-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Christina - thanks for the reminder of the quick command LOL I need to develop that habit too!!!!

Em--- I could remember the jest of most of the journaling but it sure wasnt word for word..... I do like how it turned out a lot better (at least I think LOL)

bcgal00
07-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Sadly...been there..done that.

Ricki
07-12-2013, 07:13 PM
That is so UGH!! Been there and done it too many times. Like you Christina, I save all the time. Sometimes I catch myself doing it without thinking.
Some programs have the option of automatically saving, sure saved me lots of sad moments.

StarWarsFans
07-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I've had that happen more times than I care to count. Sorry. :(

muldrs
07-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry sorry! My issue is generally my software crashing. It doesn't like to save and process at the same time so when it does an auto save if I don't notice and click more than once it crashes.

I feel your pain too Jill. My toddler LOVES to turn off my laptop. Thankfully the power button only puts the laptop into sleep mode and doesn't actually turn it off (unless he holds it down). Although, he did push the power button on our desktop computer once while hubby was playing a game... :P that was kind of funny!

Thanks for the ctrl+s tip Christina, I hadn't thought of that (being outside a microsoft program) but it works in my software so I think I might get back in the habit of doing that and maybe turn my auto save feature off so I don't have the crashing issue anymore.

scrappinbella
07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
And *poof* somehow you close the program and it doesn't ask you to save! I still don't know how it happened!

ahh yes it has happened a few times to me(my fault)...but thankfully i can replicate it rather quickly since the hard stuff was done before i lost it..just try to remember what you did and...bingo! ..your lo will come together again(now i am paranoid about saving and making sure my battery does not run out before I do..lol)
once burned ..twice shy..lol...also i write my journaling as a draft first...(juuuust in case)

msbrad
07-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Ohhh, I've been there....in so many ways.
Sometimes it is a computer crash, sometimes the power goes out and sometimes it is my grandson that pushes the power button and says ooooooo...

Search your drive, and hope it is there somehow. Maybe a restore will work.

I do a save as soon as I start a LO and then try to ctrl/s often...yet it happens and it stinks.

All the best.
m

Nani
07-15-2013, 01:25 AM
I CTRL-S often too, command (the key that looks like a splat)-s on a Mac is the same thing, but it seems the most common time for a program to crash on me is while saving. Of course, it doesn't save when it crashes! But I keep in mind that a cup of coffee can spill on a paper layout too. That's the same effect except you have to BUY new everything!

I have a cup that my hubby got me that says "Instant scrapbooker, just add coffee." Yeah, I've spilled coffee on a paper layout before. I went digital and kept the coffee. LOL

Nani
07-15-2013, 01:27 AM
I do a save as soon as I start a LO and then try to ctrl/s often...yet it happens and it stinks.

Too true! If a layout or change is destined to be done over... sigh

GingerScraps
07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
That is the worst!! :( I happen to share a circuit with the garage, and my brother (who lives with me), ALWAYS popps the circuit! I literally almost cried the other day. It is so frustrating.
Sometimes a little venting goes a long way! Hope your feeling better today :)

SandyPie
07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
That is the worst feeling!! But at least restarting the new layout should be pretty quick, you'll know what you really liked about what you were doing before the unfortunate accident and can focus and make fast work of it the restart page.

littleradtrio
07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Oh yes, I really hate when that happens and yes, I try to save frequently, but sometimes it just isn't frequently enough! LOL!

HJsMyles
07-17-2013, 04:15 PM
My posts usually read, " When will I ever learn!"

gethane
07-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the sympathy! I did get the layout done. I liked part of it better, part of it not as much. That's the way the ball bounces I guess!

bcgal00
07-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Yikes - that just happened yesterday. I was working on a page, took a break and checked my emails and saw an email from our internet provider saying that they had increased our speed so we needed to unplug modem and restart computer. I went to get a coffee, asked my hubs to unplug modem and restart our computers and then later I realized that he had just shut my computer down and PS did not save my page....ugh. So, I had to start from scratch again.

trina513
07-22-2013, 07:26 PM
UGH!! I hate that!! been there done that....now I've seem to have gotten a ctrl-s addiction ;)

enjoyyourpix
07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Ugh. That's the worst. I've found 2 times I lose pages. On my laptop, in PSE if I save directly to my EHD. It freezes and then corrupts the file when I restart.

The other is in PSE11 on Save to Web. If I've used up a lot of system resources, it crashes. It doesn't corrupt anything, the program just crashes. I now make sure to save the psd first before I click save for web.

Still vulnerable to all those other ways to lose my work!!! Off to save!