PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying your summer break??

GingerScraps
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
It sure is quiet around the chatter forum! How's everyone doing?

Are you doing anything exciting for your summer vacation?

kl.winters
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
With school out and summer vacation in full swing, apparently people are out having fun because it has been pretty quiet around here lately. I wish I could say we have some fun plans for the summer but we don't. With gas prices up toward $4.29 a gallon here in Michigan, we're stick close to home. Only exciting thing on my agenda the next couple of weeks is a garage sale. Yucky! It has to be done though. Been storing stuff since we moved the last time, which was 8 years ago so it's time to let it go and purge the stuff we aren't using or have space for anymore.

GingerScraps
06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Ugh! Kathy that gas price is awful!!
We don't have any major plans either, but we will for sure do a few camping trips :)
We stay pretty close to home, because I'm not a very comfortable driver. We always talk about how once my daughter, Isabelle, gets her drivers license we can finally take some road trips. But with gas prices like that we won't get very far! Lol

dillydoodles
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi Ginger and Kathy. Sadly no big plans for us either. My hubby just started a two-month contract yesterday and he will be working 6 days a week until mid-August. The good part is he will be on straight days instead of three rotating shifts, but he won't get any holidays until September ... then after that he goes back to his normal shift (or who knows, he may decide to stay at the other place, lol.) So we'll just squeeze in what we can in the evenings or on Sundays. Exciting huh?

conniep
06-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I think I'm still recovering from the busy school year :) Hopefully I will get my feet back under me in a few more days lol!

We've been on vacation already & are possibly heading to CHA in Vegas in July. That's about the extent of our plans so far!

StephanieH
06-11-2013, 04:10 PM
The "kids" (at almost 17 and 20 are they really kids?) have slipped into summer sleeping schedule...up most of the night, sleep most of the day. No summer vacay for me, although I do get the week of July 4th off, but hubby doesn't. Was going to go spend a few days with Missi, but I ended up scheduling some Dr. appts for that week.

My vacation isn't until September (my 25th Anniversary) cruise. Hoping that things slow down a bit for summer though and I can enjoy some downtime in the evenings.

PixelsByJen
06-11-2013, 04:15 PM
We are just getting started with summer but in a fun way. One of our friends from Colorado and her family are here visiting for a week. The best part, she's also a digi scrapper so I have someone to chat with while I scrap :)

emscraps
06-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm in recovery mode!! May was just super crazy getting things together for graduation, I'm also on the design committee for the school's 50th Anniversary (I made the Save the Date cards..woohoo..LOL), and we just got back from a Disney trip with about 10 families from Jordan's 8th grade class.

Now, two of our nieces are here for 3 weeks....our house...party of 7! YIKES! At least they can watch the littles while I scrap, LOL!

mamaape
06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Well... We just moved into our very first house so the weeks leading up to, during and now the week after trying to unpack and all that, has been super duper crazy busy, exhausting, all around time consuming. Not to mention I'll have another little one by the end of next month, EEEP!

So I don't know that this summer is going to be "slow" for us, heh, with the new home, birthday parties (a lot of family has summer birthdays), new baby, out of town guests and the like I don't think I'll sleep until next year!

Isabel
06-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Now summer plans for us. DH will be traveling for work most of the Summer, so it's just me with two little monsters to entertain all day long :)

Ambelleina
06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
We've been on vacation already & are possibly heading to CHA in Vegas in July. That's about the extent of our plans so far!

You're going to CHA?!? MEGAJEALOUS! I want to go to Tim Holtz' workshop sooo badly!

Nickala27
06-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Unfortunately it's winter here. Hope you guys are enjoying your summer though.

Twin Mom Scraps
06-11-2013, 07:09 PM
i am here too...just completely involved with the kids. my husband works out of town during the week and we only see him on the weekends. so i am running around trying to keep kids entertained and then spending weekends home together.

Sarah
06-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm actually out of town right now. Drove the 8 hours to visit my family last Monday and we head back this Friday.
I'm getting great pictures that I can't wait to show off!

craftytam
06-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Our last day of school was today! Woohoo!!
We started some of our summer activities on Saturday - Hubby, boys & I went to the beach at sunset. They played in the water until it got dark ...I took photos :)
Yesterday, went to Disneyland with DD - it was already busy with kids on their last day of school trips & tourists, so I probably will only go a couple of times over the summer.
We aren't doing any major trips - just local stuff.

MSPeeler
06-12-2013, 03:25 AM
I'm worn OUT!!!!! Day #2 of vacation bible school, and I'm teaching. I'm so so so tired, I can't even believe I'm awake right now! LOL

Twin Mom Scraps
06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Exhaustion is a good word! I'm feeling it too!

3BluEyedBabies
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
We just got back from WDW the beginning of April, so we don't have any vacation planned this summer. We will probably try to do some day trips to a Zoo, aquarium, or hiking if we can fit it into the budget ( my husband had to have unexpected surgery and just went back to work last week after 7 weeks off).

We took the kids to a car show Sunday sponsored by the local Lions Club; it was free to go and the kids loved it, so things like that are perfect! I loved taking the pictures to scrap later!!

Anyone in PA know of any fun & inexpensive day trips...with kids ages 9, 6, and 3??

Lisa
06-12-2013, 08:03 PM
We have 2 more days of school and I have 7 more days of work then I am free till the end of August - yay!

We usually spend our summer vacay camping but since I've gone from working 3 hours a day to full-time this year we are spoiling ourselves with a trip to Hawaii in July. :cool: I need to take six months of photos to make up for being MIA around here!

Ambelleina
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Oh oh oh oh, I am doing a guest CT run--my first time ever doing CT duties--this July for my #1 all-time favorite designer and I am soooo bloody excited!!!

Like seriously, my birthday is in July and I'm counting this guest CT stint as my birthday gift. ^_^

Oh and I'm going to visit a friend who got herself knocked up.

msbrad
06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
The end of the school year was very hectic. We ended June 7 and an hour after getting home, we left for the airport for an inpromptu family reunion in New Orleans. Came home Monday - edited all the pics I took, watched the grand baby Tuesday, attended a retirement party and today....well I just arrived home from a massage!
Now to scrap a bit.

We have vacation plans Mid July - - going to Key West for a week.
m

Colleen
06-13-2013, 03:55 AM
The last day of school was today.

We are starting the first full day of vacation at Legoland tomorrow! ;)

My family is in town. Then more family comes in town in July. Then we go out of town July through August. We are hoping to squeeze in a camping trip in June, but I don't know if we will have time. Summer just started, and it's already going to be crazy busy for us! :)

I am also getting to see the fabulous Trina this summer for an entire weekend. :D

christinap
06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
We aren't on summer vacation here yet, 2 more weeks of school! We are heading out camping a few times this summer and to a carnival in my sister's beach town. I'm sure my boys would be happy to play Minecraft and Plants vs Zombies all summer.

craftytam
06-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm sure my boys would be happy to play Minecraft and Plants vs Zombies all summer.

We started summer vacation on Wednesday & that's all my boys want to do!! :(

gethane
06-14-2013, 04:58 PM
My kids get out next Wednesday then immediately fly with two of their older siblings to Nebraska to spend five weeks with (both sets of) their grandparents and all their older siblings. I will be childless for five weeks! Unfortunately, we found out the owners of our rental want to sell so we will be spending at least part of that time moving :(.

emscraps
06-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately, we found out the owners of our rental want to sell so we will be spending at least part of that time moving :(.

NOOO!! Will you still be local? We haven't met up yet :(

gethane
06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Yes, we'll try very hard to remain in our same school district so still quite close :) We will still be able to meet up after the younger kids get back !!

emscraps
06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Otherwise we could always meet up and have lunch or coffee just us two :)

gethane
06-14-2013, 09:58 PM
True! Hopefully our housing hunt will be quick and painless (haha). I am a coffee fiend so you can get me almost anywhere with an offer of coffee :)

Sarah
06-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Road trips are exhausting but I had a blast with my family. Back now for the rest of summer.

missdamsel
06-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Geez, I have been too busy to even see this thread! Our summer started with a trip to MS (Me, four 16 year old girls and a puppy) which included 7 days in a cottage at the lake, a day trip out to Ship Island, a day at the water park, a day at the New Orleans Zoo and a first birthday party!!). Was home for a day or two then my daughter and her family arrived for a weekend. THEN we were surprised with an over night visit from my friend and her family of 10! And the next day I shipped Rachel off to Texas for almost 6 weeks! Now the quiet begins....aww the sounds of silence!

And as wonderful as that sounds, we are getting ready to have my mom here for two months while she gets both knees replaced!

trina513
06-17-2013, 08:34 PM
I've been crazy busy too! I'm trying to keep my head above water! LOL! School was out, 2 days later we went to my BILs for 3 days, home for 1.5 days, over to my parents for 4 days, home 3 hours, camping for 3 days, now home for 4 days to do laundry, find my house (its trashed) and leave again to my parents for my sister being in from CO and 2 birthday parties and a bridal shower (all thrown by me!) wish me luck!! If i'm lucky I'll get a chance to scrap!!

Colleen
06-18-2013, 02:25 AM
You have been busy! There should be a trip to CA somewhere in there! ;)
I've been crazy busy too! I'm trying to keep my head above water! LOL! School was out, 2 days later we went to my BILs for 3 days, home for 1.5 days, over to my parents for 4 days, home 3 hours, camping for 3 days, now home for 4 days to do laundry, find my house (its trashed) and leave again to my parents for my sister being in from CO and 2 birthday parties and a bridal shower (all thrown by me!) wish me luck!! If i'm lucky I'll get a chance to scrap!!

trina513
06-18-2013, 04:44 AM
You have been busy! There should be a trip to CA somewhere in there! ;)

Busy and anywhere but home it feels like! Then my daughter guilt trips me by saying I'm on the computer all day :( Even tho I'm not (and wish I could be some days) but still! Why'd she have to go and say that! :(

I wish a trip to CA is in there - but hopefully we still get to see each other that entire weekend in August!! :D You're penciled in the schedule but I haven't reserved our spot yet - I need to do that!!

Ok - I'm exhausted - did a few things on the computer (after the kids went to bed and I got my run in!) Now just wish I wasn't so tired that I could stay up to scrap some!! I hope Isaac sleeps better and doesn't think 5:30 is a good time to wake up all the time - that's less than 6 hours from now! EEK! Off to bed! Hopefully I'll be around some tomorrow :D

Neverland Scraps
06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
We have been on the go for a long time--probably since the baby has been born!! LOL

We just got back from 2.5 weeks in PA. I went to a homeschool convention, getting ready for the upcoming school year. We bought season passes to Dorney Park, an amusement park, where we have gone six times already. It was busy this past time in PA, but we'll be back there in two weeks for another three weeks!!

This weekend we leave for Michigan to visit with his family and introduce them to the baby. They are having a family reunion at Mackinac Island, which I am super excited about. The girls went there for the first time a couple years ago, but Dh and I honeymooned there many years ago. Its a special place to our family and an added perk that the IL's own a condo there!

I know we will be busy clear until August and then in August we have a military function, my daughter's birthday and a few other things, but mostly we'll be home after that--hopefully!! We are busy and have been busy for a while.

Neverland Scraps
06-24-2013, 05:57 PM
With gas prices up toward $4.29 a gallon here in Michigan, we're stick close to home.

oh yuck, we are heading to Mi this weekend. Don't tell me that!!!

Was going to go spend a few days with Missi, but I ended up scheduling some Dr. appts for that week.
Sorry you weren't able to visit with Missi. That would have been a lot of fun

My vacation isn't until September (my 25th Anniversary) cruise. Hoping that things slow down a bit for summer though and I can enjoy some downtime in the evenings.
Now that sounds like a lot of fun!! I can't wait to hear all about it!! Where are you going for your cruise? My parents just got back from their Alaska cruise and I was excited going through their photos and hearing their stories!!

Well... We just moved into our very first house so the weeks leading up to, during and now the week after trying to unpack and all that, has been super duper crazy busy, exhausting, all around time consuming. Not to mention I'll have another little one by the end of next month, EEEP!

So I don't know that this summer is going to be "slow" for us, heh, with the new home, birthday parties (a lot of family has summer birthdays), new baby, out of town guests and the like I don't think I'll sleep until next year!
Oh wow! I do not know how you did it---moving while pregnant, especially that close to delivering! Bless your heart for doing all that while pregnant. I hope you are able to get some sleep/rest before the baby comes next month!!

Anyone in PA know of any fun & inexpensive day trips...with kids ages 9, 6, and 3??

Touring Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Lancaster, Harrisburg---I guess it depends on WHERE in PA you are looking. I love going out to Lancaster, especially Shady Maple. When my IL's visited, they spent the day out in Gettysburg. Another place is visiting Hershey--we did that when DH enlisted at MEPS.

We usually spend our summer vacay camping but since I've gone from working 3 hours a day to full-time this year we are spoiling ourselves with a trip to Hawaii in July. :cool: I need to take six months of photos to make up for being MIA around here!

That's so awesome!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Our neighbors were stationed in Hawaii for many years and I love listening to them talk of the island life. I told DH that's where I want him to try for when he re-enlists later this year, that or England!!

Oh oh oh oh, I am doing a guest CT run--my first time ever doing CT duties--this July for my #1 all-time favorite designer and I am soooo bloody excited!!!

Like seriously, my birthday is in July and I'm counting this guest CT stint as my birthday gift. ^_^
That's so awesome!! Im so excited for you!! Oh and happy early birthday because I know I'll forget when July rolls around!!

The end of the school year was very hectic. We ended June 7 and an hour after getting home, we left for the airport for an inpromptu family reunion in New Orleans. Came home Monday - edited all the pics I took, watched the grand baby Tuesday, attended a retirement party and today....well I just arrived home from a massage!
Now to scrap a bit.

We have vacation plans Mid July - - going to Key West for a week.
m
When are you coming back to the DC area so we can visit?! I'd love to meet-up with one of my favorite digi people!!

I'm sure my boys would be happy to play Minecraft and Plants vs Zombies all summer.
And there is something wrong with this. . . . . .? hehe

Unfortunately, we found out the owners of our rental want to sell so we will be spending at least part of that time moving :(.
Good luck finding a new place. I hope it will be quick and pain-free!!

You SOUND busy!!! I don't know how you are keeping sane!

StephanieH
06-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry you weren't able to visit with Missi. That would have been a lot of fun

We have tentatively scheduled something over Christmas break.:36_1_33:

Now that sounds like a lot of fun!! I can't wait to hear all about it!! Where are you going for your cruise? My parents just got back from their Alaska cruise and I was excited going through their photos and hearing their stories!!

We are sailing out of San Juan, PR and going to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten. Very port intensive, but all places we want to go and may not get back to again. We're also flying into San Juan two days early to enjoy the city.

Neverland Scraps
06-24-2013, 06:25 PM
We have tentatively scheduled something over Christmas break.:36_1_33:

We are sailing out of San Juan, PR and going to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten. Very port intensive, but all places we want to go and may not get back to again. We're also flying into San Juan two days early to enjoy the city.
That's awesome that you might be able to meet up over Christmas!!!

I really cannot wait to hear about your cruise and see photos!! It sounds like a lot of fun. I have a friend who used to live in St. Maarten and loved looking at her photos that she would post, especially during the winter months when we were freezing cold!!

DoorNut
06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Have planed to do water rafting with friends and travel around.

StarWarsFans
06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Between T-Ball and swim lessons, June has been a blur. I am hoping we can slow down and take at least a small trip sometime in July. My kids start school on August 12!

Sarah
06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Between T-Ball and swim lessons, June has been a blur. I am hoping we can slow down and take at least a small trip sometime in July. My kids start school on August 12!
You mentioning that made me go look. Mine start the 15th!! Registration starts the 1st of July! Ugh!