PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 fatty acids & Cats

MSPeeler
05-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Does anyone here supplement their cats diet with Omega 3's?
I had my cat shaved down today, long story, but it was due to excessive matting of her fur, once all her hair was shaved off, she has VERY flaky skin, and thought this may help?

If anyone uses it, and has a recommendation on what to buy, please let me know!

Thanks.

P.S. I worked in a Veterinary clinic for over 7 years, you'd think I'd remember some of this. LOL

dillydoodles
05-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow... the mats must have been aweful. I have never heard of a cat being shaved down. I'm sure your cat isn't too pleased right now, lol ... I can see the tail flicking from here. I've seen oil supplements specifically for cats at places like PetsMart. I've heard you should not give them cod liver oil or fish oils that have too much Vitamin A. Also some cats are actually allergic to fish oils in general. Maybe give your vet a call. Good luck. I hope the cat's fur grows back in nicely. I'm giving my dog a hair cut today. Hoping the mats aren't too bad. He would not like to bald, haha.

catgoddess
05-24-2013, 02:18 PM
I would definitely talk to your vet about dosage as it's important to have the Omega 6 and Omega 3 in proper ratio. The supplements are very good for cats and dogs just like they are for humans, though. If you have a kitty that is allergic to fish (many are), they make vegetarian blends with flax and/or chia. Omega 3 supplements improve renal function and improve cardiac health in animals just like humans, too. I believe they make pills and powders, so however your kitty takes medication the best is what I would use. We used the powder for our kitty and she ate it just fine.

Good luck and I hope it helps your kitty! Matted fur is no fun at all.

Jacque
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
i'd go with the others and ask your vet. if your vet is like mine a quick question on the phone is free. would hate to have something happen to the poor nekked baby. BTW...while a dog, my Pomeranian had the same issue but was years ago.

MSPeeler
05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Thank you all! I'm going to put a call in to the vet today, I'm going to probably scrap this incident with the story, I hope to never shave her again... EVER!!!!

MSPeeler
05-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Scrapped about it here:
http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/data/500/13-05--Yokos1stHaircut.jpg (http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/showphoto.php?photo=96921&title=yoko-27s-1st-haircut&cat=all)

catgoddess
05-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Awww. Poor, sweetie. Give her lots of extra kisses. I'm glad to hear she's more playful and I would agree the mats hurt her. Hopefully her new coat grows back nice and full and mat-free.
xoxo

dillydoodles
05-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I saw that in the gallery last night and left you some love there. Very happy things worked out so well in the end.

:cattumble:

Jacque
05-25-2013, 03:14 PM
awww she looks soooo pathetic...however the mats do hurt when they r bad and she probably doesn't really realize she lost all her hair...just that she feels so much better! :)

dodgeladee
05-25-2013, 09:15 PM
OHHHH... poor kitty! I had heard they are pretty painful. Poor baby! I loved your journaling though. Off to leave you some love!

Ambelleina
05-27-2013, 07:31 AM
LOL! I'm so sorry your kitty had to go through that, but the pictures are so hilarious! She went from fluffy to a skinny little thing! It's like she lost 10 lbs! hehe