PDA

View Full Version : Our March Book!

BlueHeartScraps
02-17-2013, 02:29 PM
You voted, and I was forced to vote, and the winner was Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohlam.

You can pick this book up from Barnes and Noble here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beautiful-creatures-kami-garcia/1100163906?ean=9780316231657

from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Creatures-ebook/dp/B008CJ23A6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1361111243&sr=1-1&keywords=beautiful+creatures

or from Audible.com here:
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B0036NA47M&qid=1361111286&sr=1-1

or, I encourage you to visit your local library, if need be, to see if they have a copy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

We'll start discussing this book around March 7th, so you should hopefully have plenty of time to locate a copy of the book and at least start reading. Any questions? Just let me know! :)

scrapjrlgcp
02-18-2013, 03:15 AM
ok i found a copy today and I will start reading it, but it is not something I would usually read but I am willing to try it:) maybe next month will be safe haven ;)

BlueHeartScraps
02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
I can gladly use Safe Haven for April's book if that's what people prefer! That's the only thing bad about having such close votes. :/

GingerScraps
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has started this yet, do you like it? I have so many on my wish list ... I'm wondering if I want to start another long series.
BUT if you all tell me it is amazing then I will gladly pick it up :)
The book I have been waiting a year for comes out on March 5th, Requiem by -Lauren-Oliver (http://www.amazon.com/Requiem-Delirium-Lauren-Oliver/dp/0062014536/ref=pd_sim_b_4) I'm Sooooooo excited! I don't know if I will be able to resist stopping everything to read that book! :)

Angelclaud
02-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I am honestly not sure I'll be reading that book this month. It just doesn't seem to appeal to me that much and since I don't have an online library available in Indonesia, I have to buy all the books I want to read. I think I'll wait for all your review first.

BlueHeartScraps
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I've finished it, and I happened to love it. I enjoyed the fact that it was written from a male's point of view (I'm not an overly mushy person, and his 'wow, she's pretty awesome' without as many 'I love her and want to marry her and have babies and everything will be beautiful and wonderful and life is full of rainbows' thrown in was quite welcome here, lol).
I think the writers do a more than adequate job of character building, the plot (while your typical 'young-love-we're-told-can't-be' Romeo and Juliet style) is fast paced enough to keep me interested and wanting to read more (something I seriously lacked in this month's book, obviously, lol). I loved the characters. I think the writing style was easy to follow, even in the slower plot sections (yes, there are some in the beginning part of the book as the scene is set for the ending, but I didn't think they were painful) - and the last 100 or so pages were just wonderful. The ending had an element twist I wasn't expecting...and though I didn't jump straight into the second book, I WILL be grabbing the rest of the series to read.

Angelclaud
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Joylynn !!!! It's not even March yet and you've finished the book. LOL.

BlueHeartScraps
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
LOL! I honestly prefer to be a bit ahead most times, for this very reason - so that if someone asks if the book's good or too gory or too slow or, whatever, I can help answer. :)

GingerScraps
02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Ok you convinced me! I will get it today :)

And thank you for your review, I totally appreciate it!

emscraps
02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I was thinking of getting this book, it was on sale at Amazon a few weeks ago, but I kept forgetting to get it..lol. DD wants to watch this, I thought maybe we should read about it first. I'll check the library this weekend :)

missdamsel
02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
My dd just finished this. She borrowed it from a friend so we asked to keep it a little (ok a lot) longer. I read slow! lol

tammyshere
02-23-2013, 11:23 PM
I probably won't get to it in March, unless the 54 people ahead of me on my library hold list read fast!

Angelclaud
02-24-2013, 03:13 AM
LOL oh WOW to 54 waiting list.

scrapjrlgcp
02-25-2013, 02:36 AM
I am not a fan of these kinds of books or at least they have never appealed to me but I found this one online and started it and to be honest..i kinda like it :) I have to keep reading because it is a bit strange and you want to find out how and why all these strange things are happening :)

BlueHeartScraps
02-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Aww, yah! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! Hope the rest of the book goes as great for you!!! :D

missdamsel
02-25-2013, 03:26 AM
Where did you find it online?

I am not a fan of these kinds of books or at least they have never appealed to me but I found this one online and started it and to be honest..i kinda like it :) I have to keep reading because it is a bit strange and you want to find out how and why all these strange things are happening :)

scrapjrlgcp
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
missi i pmed you :)

missdamsel
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I guess I will be reading the real book if my FM will allow me to. There are 235 people on the waiting list for the electronic copy at our library!

wanda
03-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Just started reading it - I like this kind of book, so I am enjoying it so far. I'm not very far in, though.

scrapjrlgcp
03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I am about half way done and it is still a bit strange to me :)

wanda
03-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Finished today! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like books about magic - it's interesting (after I've read tons of them) to see how authors create their systems of magic and magical creatures. This magical world was different enough to feel original. I love the perspective from the non-magical male character....it also contributed a lot to the feeling that you are reading something original - not copy-cat (well, not too copy-cat).

I guess we should stay away from spoilers....but what did you think of the Winter Formal scene?

scrapjrlgcp
03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I am just at the part where they are about to leave for it...I guess I better keep reading huh?

missdamsel
03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
I am a slow reader, I am only on page 54. lol

tammyshere
03-06-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm still waiting - hurry up other readers!!

GingerScraps
03-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I just finished it today! :)

GingerScraps
03-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Did any of you see the movie? I heard it was nothing like the book. After I finished the book I went in iTunes to see how the 16 moons song sounded, on the movie sound track, and omg.... 16 moons was not even in the movie!! What the heck!!
That is so lame, why would they leave that out of the movie?
I was going to take my kids to see it in the theater this weekend, I just wanted to hurry and finish reading it first... But the theater that it's playing in is an hour away, and I'm not sure it's worth it.
If you did see the movie... What did you think?

missdamsel
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
We started to see it the other day but Rachel realized I hadn't finished it yet so she decided to wait. ;)

Colleen
03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
I read this book quite awhile ago. I remember liking and reading the 2nd book. I can't remember the details at all. Just that I liked it. LOL

Nani
03-10-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm not reading this one this month, but I'll probably read it at some time. I have some things keeping me busy right now and wanted my reading to be a little lighter. I just finished the second book in the Trylle series and I'm starting book 3.

Usually if the opportunity is there, I like to see the movie first if there is one. The book is usually more detailed or just plain better than the mvie, with a couple of exceptions (Field of Dreams was better than Shoeless Joe IMO) But if the movie is good and the book even better, I'd rather say "The movie was good but the book is even better" than "The movie wasn't as good as the book." I prefer feeling like I enjoyed both, my glass is half full, but I'm always looking for ways to refill it anyway. LOL

wanda
03-11-2013, 02:23 AM
I've heard the movie is very different from the book. I don't really like movies, though, so I probably won't go see it anyway.

GingerScraps
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Ok I'm now half way through book #2..... I just had an OMGoodness moment... I actually put my hand over my mouth and started shocked! Wow... I wish my son was awake so I could say, "holy moly!!! I can't believe ....."
He started book #3 today, we are totally enjoying this series!

wanda
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
I guess I need to get the other books, huh?

scrapjrlgcp
03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Ginger that makes me want to keep reading them:) I am almost done with the first one

GingerScraps
03-18-2013, 11:09 PM
I started book 3 a few days ago, they are still holding my interest! If you liked the first one, then I would say you should for sure get the others! :)

Nani
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Are we going to have an April book?

scrapjrlgcp
03-22-2013, 02:50 AM
wondering the same thing :)

Are we going to have an April book?

GingerScraps
03-22-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm gonna look into this :)

scrapjrlgcp
03-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I just finished the book :) and was looking into which one comes next and discovered that there are 4 books in this series and a side book about Link too. I thought there were only 3...looks like I may have a lot of reading to do because I would hate to not know how this all ends. These dang books are cutting into my scrapping time :)

GingerScraps
03-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Here is the discussion thread-
http://forums.gingerscraps.net/showthread.php?21768-Beautiful-Creatures-March-discussion-thread!&p=253446#post253446

mom2triplets04
03-24-2013, 01:10 AM
still on a wait list at library but safe haven came in and I'm reading that. It's pretty good so far. Yes, I agree it cuts into my scrapping time.